Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 174259 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #570 on: September 23, 2018, 08:36:24 PM »

I often wonder if hes a recreational fisherman.

LOL! That's what it usually comes to "...do you even fish?". Believe me I have fished longer and more than often than you. Likely will be that way until you die.

BTW I have moderated fishing forums as well. Not something I would want to do again. Is moderating all about a uniform way of thinking?If so you are well suited.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #571 on: September 23, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »

Frankly we can all ignore the posters who are constantly an advocate for the causes of FN & DFO. If almost all their posts are defending the unjust treatments of the recreational fishermen, then they have lost our respect. It will be nice to hear some pro fishermen comments from them once in a while but you seldom see that. It will be nice to see more poster who are posting as fishermen's advocate here. After all this is a fishing forum. Even if nothing much will change whatever we say here, at least give the poor sporties a chance to rant the feelings without being 'lectured' that FN and DFO are not the problems but we are. Not that we need more sockeyes, but letting the commies and FN scoop up millions of sockeyes when we collectively have less than 100K and yet we are shut out as if we can endanger the sockeyes is nothing but another kick on our rights to fish as a group. There is nothing to defend the unjust treatment. Do we need more sockeyes in our freezers. Probably not. But it is not about having more fish. It is about our rights as a group who pay taxes and licenses and getting shafted. Give us a break!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:43:14 PM by Steelhawk »

Robert_G

« Reply #572 on: September 24, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »

BTW I have moderated fishing forums as well. Not something I would want to do again.

Nor does anyone here want you to. I can't imagine a faster way to destroy this fishing forum.

Frankly we can all ignore the posters who are constantly an advocate for the causes of FN & DFO. If almost all their posts are defending the unjust treatments of the recreational fishermen, then they have lost our respect. It will be nice to hear some pro fishermen comments from them once in a while but you seldom see that. It will be nice to see more poster who are posting as fishermen's advocate here. After all this is a fishing forum. Even if nothing much will change whatever we say here, at least give the poor sporties a chance to rant the feelings without being 'lectured' that FN and DFO are not the problems but we are. Not that we need more sockeyes, but letting the commies and FN scoop up millions of sockeyes when we collectively have less than 100K and yet we are shut out as if we can endanger the sockeyes is nothing but another kick on our rights to fish as a group. There is nothing to defend the unjust treatment. Do we need more sockeyes in our freezers. Probably not. But it is not about having more fish. It is about our rights as a group who pay taxes and licenses and getting shafted. Give us a break!

Well said...100% agree. It is quite confusing why someone who 'CLAIMS' to be a true blue sports fisherman is always defending DFO and the FN for taking our opportunities away more and more year after year.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #573 on: September 24, 2018, 04:44:52 PM »

Nor does anyone here want you to. I can't imagine a faster way to destroy this fishing forum.

I agree

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #574 on: September 24, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »

You can also ignore the users whose posts you don't want to read. That's what I do now. Go to your profile and find ignore user and add the user name.  8)

I also think it's time to close the discussion. The season is over. Whining and crying over how badly you were treated as a result is pointless and perhaps childish. Just my humble opinion.  ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #575 on: September 24, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »

All sectors cry and wine

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #576 on: September 24, 2018, 08:59:29 PM »

Has any recognized Sport Fishing advocacy group complained about the Sept 5th sockeye closure on the Fraser? I don't know of any. A lot of sports anglers want it shut down all together. Now I've been clear I don't feel that way but it's a fact the Fraser sockeye fishery centered on Chilliwack is very controversial. Unlike the Chilliwack flossery, the salt water sockeye fishery is selective. It's also been kept away from sections of area 29 to reduce impacts on IF coho and other stocks headed into the river.

sumasriver

« Reply #577 on: September 24, 2018, 09:40:15 PM »

Catching Sockeye....

Is harvesting fish.... but it is not Fishing.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #578 on: September 24, 2018, 09:56:38 PM »

The SFAB is basically controlled by salt water anglers who think that once a fish enters a river it should be left to spawn and out of condition.

They don’t have a very high opinion of Spey flossers too
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:58:45 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #579 on: September 25, 2018, 06:08:09 AM »

The SFAB is the only advocacy group? How about the the FFSB or the SFIB or the Steelhead Society or the BCFFF? There at at least a half dozen anging clubs in the LM/FV, what about them?

If I ever meet a spey flosser, I will let them know how some cheap trolls feel about their angling practice.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #580 on: September 25, 2018, 06:36:05 AM »

" I also think it's time to close the discussion "

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #581 on: September 28, 2018, 08:18:05 AM »

On that note, and the Sept. 26 DFO notice shutting down the river for October to protect Interior Steelhead, river recreational Sockeye 2018 has indeed come to a close either:
- prior to the largest part of the return having pushed through (late run fish running late (holding in the chuck)), or
- with the late run very misjudged by DFO - being much smaller than estimated
... can only watch the Mission escape reports to tell....

And with the PSC shutdown for the season and (presumably) no further weekly reports, I guess we'll have to wait for the 2018 annual report to find out what the overall raping (I mean non-recreational harvesting) % was of the overall return.

over and out
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:26:00 AM by marshal »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #582 on: September 28, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »

Last I read the PSC estimate on the late run was 6 million which is significantly lower than the pre-season estimate of 7.4 million. That's a 20% forecast error. It's obvious that the DFO/PSC forecast models have been seriously underestimating actual returns for a few years at least. In that context while a 20% error while not good it isn't the worst they have done. This fall run cycle, thanks to the Adams and Weaver Creek stocks, is the most productive Fraser stock so it does get harvested at a higher %. Even if the PSC council is no longer issuing weekly reports (Sept 21st was the last) the Mission HA numbers are still tabulated and DFO is still issuing updates as they did on Tuesday.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=214513&ID=all

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #583 on: September 28, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »

Immediate salmon retention closure has been issued for the Fraser River mouth:

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=214818&ID=all

mikeyman

« Reply #584 on: September 28, 2018, 05:43:04 PM »

To protect the steelhead which so rarely get caught if at all by sports fishermen. Lets not forget the relentless onslaught of commercial gill and seine and native fishing that continues even during the closure. The chum gill net fishery is how the steelhead have met thier demise. Way to go DfO. Idiots.