Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 174362 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #300 on: August 16, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »

I hooked into a bruiser this morning. My shouts of "Spring on" went unnoticed and my line was cast over multiple times. We even anchored up and lost our spot to some prick in a 14 foot green Legand. Thanks buddy. Real classy. Maybe I should buy a buoy and leave a few scattered at some of my favorite spots and bounce around all day and be That Guy.

According to all the old-timers I have ridden with regarding standard boating practice on the Fraser, you SHOULD drop a buoy every time you lift anchor to chase down a spring. If you don't do that, it means you have left for good. How the heck is one supposed to know the spot is taken if no boat and no buoy are there to mark it?

Sorry, but you should take full responsibility for this and not try to blame it on the guy who occupied the real estate after you left.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #301 on: August 16, 2018, 04:11:56 PM »

I hooked into a bruiser this morning. My shouts of "Spring on" went unnoticed and my line was cast over multiple times. We even anchored up and lost our spot to some prick in a 14 foot green Legand. Thanks buddy. Real classy. Maybe I should buy a buoy and leave a few scattered at some of my favorite spots and bounce around all day and be That Guy.
This what happens when you have so many newbies out on this activity, not the best experiences, that is why a few of us old timers stay away or just sit in a lawn chair and watch "The Gong Show" I think a popular TV was called.

Saying that while cleaning up some garbage on a couple of bars today every one was behaving and they were catching a number of fish.

A First Nations lady asked me what her limit was. I said she had to keep to the sport regulation, Others said as many as she wanted. Anyone know the correct answer? Even the Master was not sure. :-\

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #302 on: August 16, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »

According to all the old-timers I have ridden with regarding standard boating practice on the Fraser, you SHOULD drop a buoy every time you lift anchor to chase down a spring. If you don't do that, it means you have left for good. How the heck is one supposed to know the spot is taken if no boat and no buoy are there to mark it?

Sorry, but you should take full responsibility for this and not try to blame it on the guy who occupied the real estate after you left.

So I guess the selfish arse that leaves his Bouy in a good Sturgeon hole at Moutain bar all day logs has rights to that hole ? Stupid logic. Bouy marked locations have a life span ( in my opinion ). I've seen a Bouy sitting in the same hole for almost days on end. For half a day ? Ok. It's yours. But they do have a lifespan. Next time I want that parking spot in front of the bank I'll just make sure to leave a cone in it. That way when I go back a day later itll be saved for me.

Get a life
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:42:49 PM by Hike_and_fish »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #303 on: August 16, 2018, 04:27:32 PM »

A First Nations lady asked me what her limit was. I said she had to keep to the sport regulation, Others said as many as she wanted. Anyone know the correct answer? Even the Master was not sure. :-\

AFAIK unless The band and DFO have authorized FN fishing with rod line and hook the sport regulations apply. They are not required to have a license (see Pg 6 of the synopsis).
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #304 on: August 16, 2018, 04:41:38 PM »

You're right Chris. She would have to keep to the regulations when participating in the sport fishery. It's only during a ceremonial or food harvest that she can retain more than the two allowable. Even to which there is a regulated quota base for each nation and their agreement with the Federal Government and size of salmon return.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #305 on: August 16, 2018, 04:42:27 PM »

It depends on the what the dude in the 14 foot green Legend was aware of...

If he wasn't aware you left the spot to fight the spring, and he jumped into what he thought was open spot = not a d!ck move

If he was aware you left the spot to fight the spring and jumped into the spot thinking you might not come back, and if you did come back he would give the spot back to you = not a d!ck move.

If he was aware you left the spot to fight the spring and jumped into your spot with no intention of giving it up if you came back = d!ck move. 

And Milo has a good point, dropping a buoy makes things a whole lot cleaner.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #306 on: August 16, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »

He was above me. I was on the tail end of a bar. I came back and he wouldn't move.

I dont have an issue with someone marking a spot when they leave. My issue is with the people that drop one and dont fish there. I've seen guides drive up the river, drop a bouy and leave for hours. I understand if you're fishingting a fish, mark it and go only to come back. I feel that are being abused. That's all

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #307 on: August 16, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »

She has to keep to the sport regulation, unless her band has issued her a communial licence. Then it would have what her quota is for fsc and her bands approved method of harvest. DFO used to be encharge of issuing them. They would Go to the band office and write them all up. However now DFO issues the band an fsc quota and its up to each individual band to write the terms and keep tract and report their catch internally.

It is also my understanding that the majority of the communal licences typically get issued to the men.

That being said if she did go out and fish and keep more then her limit and somehow ran into DFO. It would be pretty rare for her band to thow her under the bus, they would probably say she was approved to fish for Fsc and deal with it internally.

Haha that’s what I herd anyways...

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #308 on: August 16, 2018, 04:50:03 PM »

what Ralph said is correct

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #309 on: August 16, 2018, 04:53:50 PM »

So I guess the selfish arse that leaves his Bouy in a good Sturgeon hole at Moutain bar all day logs has rights to that hole ? Stupid logic. Bouy marked locations have a life span ( in my opinion ). I've seen a Bouy sitting in the same hole for almost days on end. For half a day ? Ok. It's yours. But they do have a lifespan. Next time I want that parking spot in front of the bank I'll just make sure to leave a cone in it. That way when I go back a day later itll be saved for me.

Get a life
I'm with Milo on this one. I always use a bouy when fishing the Fraser during Sockeye season. Keeps your spot when u have to drop anchor to go chase down a spring. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #310 on: August 16, 2018, 05:33:23 PM »

what Ralph said is correct

since DFO sets the sport limits for salmon, it gets more complicated. FWIW I have talked to a few FNs who don't believe the sport regs apply to them. I don't argue with them I just tell them maybe, I don't really know.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2018, 12:28:13 AM »

He was above me. I was on the tail end of a bar. I came back and he wouldn't move.

I dont have an issue with someone marking a spot when they leave. My issue is with the people that drop one and dont fish there. I've seen guides drive up the river, drop a bouy and leave for hours. I understand if you're fishingting a fish, mark it and go only to come back. I feel that are being abused. That's all

I was commenting on the particular incident. No buoy = spot is up for grabs. People can't read your mind and without a buoy in place they don't know whether you are coming back or not. A dropped buoy on your end clears up any confusion.
As for those who drop buoys to claim a spot and don't fish it for hours or days...not cool, but there is an easy peasy solution: Tie your boat to their buoy and fish until they come back. If they don't show up until you finish your outing, great! If they do, just tell them you were safe-guarding their spot because some assholes wanted to steal their buoy! ;D
Carpe Diem.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #312 on: August 17, 2018, 01:35:25 AM »

I allways mark a big X on the floor of my boat so nobody takes my spot.

Those that leave buoys unattended are not only dicks but they are dangerous dicks.

I would never anchor without a buoy attached to my anchor rope.
Not just to make things easier but ive seen too many logs comming down the river and no way you could pull anchor fast enough to get out of the way.

Was in a boat one time where we both werent looking upstream enough and a tree took us out and knocked us off anchor.
Luckily it wasnt a huge tree so we got the rope untangled and diverted the tree around us.

That river is more powerfull than we think.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #313 on: August 17, 2018, 04:31:46 AM »

I allways mark a big X on the floor of my boat so nobody takes my spot.

Those that leave buoys unattended are not only dicks but they are dangerous dicks.

I would never anchor without a buoy attached to my anchor rope.
Not just to make things easier but ive seen too many logs comming down the river and no way you could pull anchor fast enough to get out of the way.

Was in a boat one time where we both werent looking upstream enough and a tree took us out and knocked us off anchor.
Luckily it wasnt a huge tree so we got the rope untangled and diverted the tree around us.

That river is more powerfull than we think.
Good post the voice of experience what many lack these days.

dave c

« Reply #314 on: August 17, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »

Fyi. Anyone looking for betties. Cabelas just got a huge shipment.