Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170135 times)

sgodwin

Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2018, 03:11:50 AM »

I have never had the pleasure of being in town during August in a sockeye peak year. I'm back home in Vancouver on August 27. Do y'all think that will be too late to fish sockeye by boat in the salt (by Steveston or wherever)?

kanuckle head

« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2018, 04:18:00 AM »

4 years ago, in Sept 9th
You should be good on the 27th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH0Qi6s8ivw
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:19:35 AM by kanuckle head »

sockeyed

« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »

Anyone have the misson hydro acoustics numbers from 2014? I cant seem to find the archive data for this on the website.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »

Whonnock gillnet over 200 yesterday,

Monday should be a slaughter out their. Maybe sunday too!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »

BBarley I still don't know what you are getting at.

Good bad or indifferent DFO has little credibility. On the Fraser, salmon fishing has been restricted similar to the Skeena Fraser and there has been talk of protest fisheries.

FWIW DFO has little power in the big picture. Business interests, resource extraction and money are more important.

Who votes for a politician or party that runs on a platform of " More salmon, fewer jobs and a lower standard of living"?

Your points about salmon abundance or kind of all wet. The abundance has always been greatly variable. Yeah 2010 was an historic high return but 2009 was a total bust. About 1/10th of the forecast return. You think there is no relationship?

Back in the 90s the Adams River stock was in big trouble and it looked like that would be lost. But it recovered.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:44:51 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »

Good bad or indifferent DFO has little credibility. On the Fraser, salmon fishing has been restricted similar to the Fraser and there has been talk of protest fisheries.

FWIW DFO has little power in the big picture. Business interests, resource extraction and money are more important.

Who votes for a politician or party that runs on a platform of " More salmon, fewer jobs and a lower standard of living"?

Your points about salmon abundance or kind of all wet. The abundance has always been greatly variable. Yeah 2010 was an historic high return but 2009 was a total bust. About 1/10th of the forecast return. You think there is no relationship?

Back in the 90s the Adams River stock was in big trouble and it looked like that would be lost. But it recovered.

You're bang on. Big business really trumps everything in the western world. With the corporate world controlling western democracies and first nations always threatening long court battles it seems like itll be a never ending issue till the salmon either come back with averagance or die off completely.

ByteMe

« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2018, 10:47:32 AM »

Good bad or indifferent DFO has little credibility. On the Fraser, salmon fishing has been restricted similar to the Skeena Fraser and there has been talk of protest fisheries.

I totally agree, well said Ralph
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

BBarley

« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »

RalphH, it's more of a rant at as you said "the credibility of the DFO" I'm not even too sure what I was getting at...... ;D ;D ;D

I'm not advocating for a complete halt to resource development or a anti-business enviro government by any means, merely poking holes at what could be easily equated as a mismanagement of stocks up and down the coast that will one day cost us our great salmon and steelhead runs.

I guess my question is, with all the uncertainty and variability in returns based on the great unknown of survival rates in the Pacific, combined with the perpetually changing onshore habitat challenges.... why isn't there more done in the way of allowing more spawners on the beds? I just used the 1:0.66666 spawner to offspring ratio as an example with the big run on the Fraser. At which point is it determined that there will be ESSR (Excess salmon to spawning requirements) and there would be redd destruction by overspawning?

sgodwin

« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2018, 08:56:54 PM »

4 years ago, in Sept 9th
You should be good on the 27th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH0Qi6s8ivw

Thank you kanuckle head!!

cabro

« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »

Was out yesterday for 8 hours, didn't see any risers and didn't get a single hook up, only saw 2 fish caught on the stretches of river we covered.

Was out today and our group of 4 got our limit in a couple hours and saw many others limiting out very quickly. I will certainly take the advice of others here and not fish too close after a commercial opening in the future. What a difference a day makes.  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2018, 06:29:08 AM »

Was out yesterday for 8 hours, didn't see any risers and didn't get a single hook up, only saw 2 fish caught on the stretches of river we covered.

Was out today and our group of 4 got our limit in a couple hours and saw many others limiting out very quickly. I will certainly take the advice of others here and not fish too close after a commercial opening in the future. What a difference a day makes.  ;)
Possible Commercial opening on Wednesday and F/N ecnomic opportunity today.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2018, 07:08:26 AM »

It really depends on a few factors. First off keep in mind that 50klm klm rule when going after salmon in the rivers. Then, map things out on google earth. If the openings are Portman and down, map out from the port man up to hope. You should find out how long you have to fish up river. Then, when the netting is over, map from far out of the mouth up river. You can fish down after an opening. From the mouth to Bowman bar is 100klm. So, 2 days. That makes sense because the last 24 hour opening ended at 7am ( if im right ) on Thursday morning. It was the whole tidal. So the fishing should have picked up around Bowman bar at 7am on Sat morning and November up thru the day. Reports at Gill yesterday were bad in the AM but in the late afternoon people were hammering them.

It's easy to figure out.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2018, 07:57:37 AM »

Activity yesterday. :-[ https://youtu.be/gf2d3y0wTYk

cabro

« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »

It really depends on a few factors. First off keep in mind that 50klm klm rule when going after salmon in the rivers. Then, map things out on google earth. If the openings are Portman and down, map out from the port man up to hope. You should find out how long you have to fish up river. Then, when the netting is over, map from far out of the mouth up river. You can fish down after an opening. From the mouth to Bowman bar is 100klm. So, 2 days. That makes sense because the last 24 hour opening ended at 7am ( if im right ) on Thursday morning. It was the whole tidal. So the fishing should have picked up around Bowman bar at 7am on Sat morning and November up thru the day. Reports at Gill yesterday were bad in the AM but in the late afternoon people were hammering them.

It's easy to figure out.

Excellent advice, thanks!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »

Westside, eh? This guy is good, he really breaks down the b-b'ing rigging for you. He points out that some guys are using 20' leaders but he prefers to only use 12'.

Apprearntly 20-25# fluorocarbon line is the key so the fish don't see the leader.  ::)

Hmmmm - good advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HwOfL_xLU

You decide if this helps you. That braided knot does look good though.