Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170177 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2018, 01:56:45 PM »

Its where the two rock piles on the main path have always been. In recent years, the path just went thru the rock piles, but it seems like sometime in the last few years, somebody decided to stack rocks and make the trail inaccessible. Only option is to go over. A couple fit guys and an hour of work could easily clear out the trail.

Sure - but if that rock was placed there by the Municipality to ward off ATV traffic to the area then wouldn't your actions to remove that rock be a form vandalism and you would be subject to a criminal charge, fine or served invoice for the replacement cost? Just wondering and not specifically calling you out but using "you" as whomever was involved with the removal (if it ever happened)?

If it's on the old CPR line then they may have put it there. My bet it's the municipality to satisfy the property owners. Remember the problems they had with litter and people crapping on their properties. Then suddenly parking access disappeared and vehicles were being towed.

Please don't do anything to lose more fishing access points on the river. Thanks.

chironomidking

« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »

I'd like to try this fishery for my first time. Coming from downtown Vancouver are there any bars worth trying below Mission? Or do you need to be at Chilliwack or higher? I don't mind the crowds

In order to bounce for sockeye, you have the most success fishing the gravel reaches of the Fraser.  These are located above the vedder confluence.

dave c

« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »

After yesterday's commercial opening how long will it take river to recover?  Could one expect normal numbers of sockeye by Saturday?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »

On average Sockey can travel up to 50klm a day. So...... tomorrow into the weekend. Pending another opening of Aboriginal or commercial openings. Friday may bring another announcement. Who knows. I'm good with an Aboriginal opening. The last one still left fish in the river.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2018, 04:18:59 PM »

After yesterday's commercial opening how long will it take river to recover?  Could one expect normal numbers of sockeye by Saturday?
Takes a couple of days after a commie opening to affect the upper Frsear bars. Expect slow fishing this weekend.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »

We allways figured about 40 hours after a commercial opening.

Ambassador

« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2018, 06:05:42 PM »

Everyone was polite and respectful towards each other.
Good to hear! I bottom bounced the Fraser near Agassiz bridge for literally an hour four years ago and am in no rush to do it again as I witnessed a couple complete A-holes being lippy to the less experienced fishermen around them. Not helping at all - only intimidating. Luckily the universe felt the same way as one of the morons snapped his rod as he was backing his Sockeye up the beach instead of reeling in  ::) Hearing him swear and get all mad was music to my ears.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2018, 06:22:55 PM »

Landed two today at one of the busy bars in about 4 hours.

Had one on around the 10th cast but it came off pretty quick.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2018, 08:50:41 PM »

Landed two today at one of the busy bars in about 4 hours.

Had one on around the 10th cast but it came off pretty quick.

Was there much activity around you?  Based on the low catch I saw (and heard about) the last couple of days, and the gillnet fishery winding up early this morning, I would expect there wasn't a lot of fish action

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2018, 09:14:27 PM »

The only other fish I saw caught was in my spot 5 minutes after I finished while I was cleaning my fish.

Guess I had the hotspot today.

There were fish jumping in the middle of the river, though.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »

Was there much activity around you?  Based on the low catch I saw (and heard about) the last couple of days, and the gillnet fishery winding up early this morning, I would expect there wasn't a lot of fish action

I fished from 6am till noon. Fished two bars. I saw 2 fish get flossed. That's it ! Both fish that were hooked had an audience a mile long with fishermen salivating and licking their lips. It was dead. At the boat launch everyone I talked to said no fish. I did however see a lot of pictures online about people getting limits so........... idk

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »

3 guys for 3 hours last night and only touched one fish for a few seconds. Weds afternoon, 3 guys and 35 minutes we had our 6 fish bonked plus 5 lost...

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2018, 07:31:24 AM »

I fished from 6am till noon. Fished two bars. I saw 2 fish get flossed. That's it ! Both fish that were hooked had an audience a mile long with fishermen salivating and licking their lips. It was dead. At the boat launch everyone I talked to said no fish. I did however see a lot of pictures online about people getting limits so........... idk

Looks like it has been very slim pickin's; the albion test catches for this week during the rec opening reflect what we're experiencing...

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2018, 08:10:49 AM »

3 guys for 3 hours last night and only touched one fish for a few seconds. Weds afternoon, 3 guys and 35 minutes we had our 6 fish bonked plus 5 lost...
Maybe bring 6 guys and increase your odds  :o ;D ;D ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

SilverChaser

« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »

Sure - but if that rock was placed there by the Municipality to ward off ATV traffic to the area then wouldn't your actions to remove that rock be a form vandalism and you would be subject to a criminal charge, fine or served invoice for the replacement cost? Just wondering and not specifically calling you out but using "you" as whomever was involved with the removal (if it ever happened)?
Cleared or not, one still wouldn't be able to get an ATV thru
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member