Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 174314 times)

Robert_G

Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2018, 05:01:29 PM »

Water Taxi's that drop anglers off on river bars etc may be charged for illegal guiding.

I'd love to see that stand in court. If the guy is properly insured and I say take me to 'this' bar......there is absolutely NO guiding taking place. I am merely paying for a ferry ride to my own designated destination.
By your logic a taxi driver could be charged if I asked to be taken to the Vedder river with my gear in hand....again....it would never stand in court.

On the other hand....if I asked the water taxi to take me to a bar 'where they are catching the fish'.....then yes....that could be considered guiding.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:04:10 PM by Robert_G »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2018, 05:03:40 PM »

This water taxi thing would be a good gig for Chris ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »

This water taxi thing would be a good gig for Chris ;D

He said he sold his boat.

Need a vendors licence and BBQ - sell challupas and bouncing bettys at Peg Leg.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2018, 05:31:06 PM »

As I understand some people did the water taxi thing some years back and were warned. Much the same with Helicopter service that provide service for anglers. Most pilots who still do that have a guide license. But I may be wrong. I think both water taxis and helicopter service is under federal control 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fatso

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2018, 08:45:22 PM »

On the other hand....if I asked the water taxi to take me to a bar 'where they are catching the fish'.....then yes....that could be considered guiding.

Really?
Doesnt "guiding" involve a little more than that?

Like a little bit of expertise in showing how to rig the set up, advising on terminal gear, maybe a little bit of instruction on where and how to cast the line, maybe some actual hands on knot tying, netting the fish, supplying gear, packing a lunch for the client, etc.

I hardly think taxiing a person to where people may be catching fish could be considered guiding.  But then what do i know? Nuttin'!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »

Really?
Doesnt "guiding" involve a little more than that?

Like a little bit of expertise in showing how to rig the set up, advising on terminal gear, maybe a little bit of instruction on where and how to cast the line, maybe some actual hands on knot tying, netting the fish, supplying gear, packing a lunch for the client, etc.

I hardly think taxiing a person to where people may be catching fish could be considered guiding.  But then what do i know? Nuttin'!

Would it not be as simple as exchanging money for a certain service ?

You take me to place "A" with the intent to "B".

So if someone I know payed me to take them fishing, it would be considered guiding. If that person made a gas donation I assume it would not be ?

It's a fine line that's for sure.

BTW. The last set for Whonnock was brutal. 2 fish ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:48:27 PM by Hike_and_fish »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2018, 08:30:30 AM »

I think the Province's view and I think it has been supported by the courts, is that anyone who accepts a fee to take someone to a fishing location for the purpose of fishing amounts to a guiding service - that includes transportation and activities such as fishing lessons.

FWIW I have been out with a guide where I was put in a boat, transported to a location and told to 'fish here' which I did while the guide surfed their iPhone. I'd ask some questions as to what fly, howto fish and got answers. If we didn't catch anything in a period of time we hopped back in the boat and went somewhere else. I did catch fish that trip. On another occasion I paid as much for a day with a well known guide who selected the flies, tied them on my leader, told me where to cast, how to retrieve, on one occasion grabbed my rod from me when he thought I wasn't doing it right (he spooked the fish and swore like a long  shoreman), got offered a lunch that could have fed 5 big fat Americans, had a scenic float trip down a wild river but got skunked anyway. 

Ok now know where I saw this: BC Wildlife Act; Part 1 Definitions:

"guide for fish" means a person who, for compensation or reward received or promised,

(a) accompanies another person and assists that person to angle,

(b) attends another person at or near an angling site in a manner that, directly or indirectly, assists that person to angle, or

(c) transports, for the purpose of angling, another person to, from or between angling sites,

... seems to cover it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 08:39:22 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bobby b

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »

So... If I take my friend  to the river and teach her how to fish ....I am a guide?!?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »

So... If I take my friend  to the river and teach her how to fish ....I am a guide?!?
Not unless she pays you.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2018, 09:35:40 AM »

... or she gives you a 'reward'. ;)

bobby b

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »

Ahhh.... got it
I missed the 'compensation.....or reward ;) '  factor.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »

Have used water taxis several times in the past to get small and large groups to a bar.

The first one we used back in 2000 was called Frogstompers Water Taxi. He did have some legal issues and, if I recall, it was due to illegal guiding.

We also used a guy named **** for a 2-3 years in a row. Later I understand he stopped taxiing and became a guide with ****

Note: I was going to name the driver and the guide company but seeing what Ralph's post from the BC Wildlife Act, turns out what he was doing may have been considered guiding after all, so I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.           

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »

Just taxi them to the spot and get paid in Bitcoins  ;D

Fatso

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2018, 12:13:51 PM »

Hahahah! Crazy!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »

These folks offer water taxi out of Mission but the rates are high.

https://www.fraserriversafari.com/copy-of-peekpro-group-tours

As I said if the boat operator is a guide or assistant guide license it may not be an issue.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42