Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170164 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »

Hey, If the water is low enough, can we drive across to Herrling Island or is that still a ticketable offense?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »

Not interested in participating in this particular fishery but wouldn’t say no to some reasonably priced fish from the store. Last time there was a good run, I recall getting them for ~$15'ish for a dressed fish at retail.

Just like three and four years ago, we experienced anglers need to be prepared for renewed stewardship on the rivers this fall.  Carry extra floats to give away, have patience, and speak softly.You will be dealing with people who literally don't know any better.

We will definitely be bracing ourselves for more of that ‘special technique’ spilling over on the other flows late this year as people look to get more value out of their annual licenses. Sometimes they are receptive; over the years I think I have converted one or two to short-floating by giving out some tackle and advice to those who expressed interest in my technique (I guess centrepin’ing looks quite interesting to someone who hasn’t seen it before). For the most part though, unless they are keeping obviously foul hooked fish, there’s not a whole lot you can say. BB’ing is 100% legal and it’s not really our place to tell people how they should or shouldn’t fish.

Bottom-bouncing for sockeye also doesn't teach you the importance of the first light bite...

True, rather it teaches you that the bite is irrelevant. If the fish dont want to bite, you 'bite' the fish instead...

GordJ

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2018, 01:13:15 PM »

Hey, If the water is low enough, can we drive across to Herrling Island or is that still a ticketable offense?
It never was ticketable.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2018, 01:14:49 PM »

There. I fixed it for you!  :-*

Hey - watch it. Bar fishing and BB'ing don't mix well in the same water.

Anyways once the large waves of 3 or 4 sockeye at a time come in, they seem to push the Chinook into different water.

The Pitt Meadows sockeye extraction team doesn't leave too many sockeye to get by during daylight hours. Their operation has 4 nets staged across the river sweeping everything in their paths. There are always a minimum of three nets sweeping down. Soon as one gets to the retraction area, that one net gets pulled then raced up to the top of the run to start over and over again. Only time for a fish to get by that one quarter of the river is when the net is in the boat as it races back to the top again. Serious production here.

Regardless - it should be fun back out there. A whole new generation will be able to take part in the fist fights, cursing and carrying ons. Good times indeed.

Kind of makes me want to just go for the entertainment value.  ;D

It's not all that bad but there will be the traditional hot spots. Fortunately the river is large and those that know how to read the water will find seclusion - at least until someone sees you land one then you'll have instant company.

Just think of the money that going to be spend locally be people suddenly needing supplies. I hope Island 22 is ready for the swarm.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2018, 01:19:29 PM »

100% with you on that one. Get your two socks and get out of the river - but only after you catch your salmon.
It’s a nice sentiment but how can one dictate when people should have to leave the river, if they are acting within the regs. It’s legal to C&R sockeye after your limit while you try to fill the remaining limit with chum, pinks, hatch coho, springs, pikeminnow or whatever else is currently open at the time. I don’t think they mention the mortality risk with high temps in any of the notices so the majority of people out there don’t even realize it’s a potential issue. Short of some steelhead type rule, maybe in the future it should be mentioned in the openings notices, as a formal recommendation or something along those lines.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2018, 01:34:50 PM »

It’s a nice sentiment but how can one dictate when people should have to leave the river, if they are acting within the regs. It’s legal to C&R sockeye after your limit while you try to fill the remaining limit with chum, pinks, hatch coho, springs, pikeminnow or whatever else is currently open at the time. I don’t think they mention the mortality risk with high temps in any of the notices so the majority of people out there don’t even realize it’s a potential issue. Short of some steelhead type rule, maybe in the future it should be mentioned in the openings notices, as a formal recommendation or something along those lines.

You can't enforce or even bother to enforce something like that. No use wasting resources even writing a regulation over it. This is very likely the last time we'll witness a Rec Sockeye opening Fraser - there are just to many factors stacked against it. It would sure be nice if people did take a proactive stand and left after they caught their first two sockeye - no matter the size or condition. Good luck with that one but maybe some will read Rod's post and they will listen - or Rod, you can get more attention to the message if you have Kitty broadcast the message. She seems to get the attention from the majority of your followers.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2018, 02:25:17 PM »

Take it for what its worth but a friend of mine who guides says the opening will be on the 7th.

A few guidinging companies are advising for Aug 7th as well.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2018, 02:31:53 PM »

7th to the 10th inclusive. That would make perfect sense.   ::)

More likely 7th to the 28th pending water temperatures.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2018, 02:38:35 PM »

With water temperature at 19, 20C, pre-spawn mortality is going to be high. A good % of these fish will never make it to the spawning grounds, so stop fishing once you catch and retain your fish if you choose to participate when this fishery opens.

temperatures at Hope are over 20.5 and trending to 21 despite the cooler weather. My bet is that if there is an opening it will be short (days) followed by a 2nd opening closer to Labour Day.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »

I think we fished in water temps near 23 C one year before it was closed. Next 3 & 4 years - no fish. :(

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »

Is there any boat provide service to drop anglers to the bar for flossing salmon?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »

temperatures at Hope are over 20.5 and trending to 21 despite the cooler weather.

Where did you get that info Ralph?

The F&O's website shows almost two degrees cooler Fraser temperatures at Hope two days ago at the peak of the heat wave:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/habitat/frw-rfo/reports-rapports/2018/2018-07-30/index-eng.html

With cooler air temps we can expect it the river to cool down even more.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »

Is there any boat provide service to drop anglers to the bar for flossing salmon?

I wouldn't offer a ride to strangers and If I didn't have a boat I would stay away from taking a ride with someone you dont know. Are they insured? How would a stranger react if something went wrong ? Would they sue ? That's why commercial insurance would be helpful. Also, if something were to happen the powers that be would look into how many people you're allowed to carry, the total weight and black bla bla bla

Best to stick to Sea Bird island something for the folks that dont have a boat.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2018, 04:48:23 PM »

Where did you get that info Ralph?

The F&O's website shows almost two degrees cooler Fraser temperatures at Hope two days ago at the peak of the heat wave:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/habitat/frw-rfo/reports-rapports/2018/2018-07-30/index-eng.html

With cooler air temps we can expect it the river to cool down even more.

July 29th is 4 days ago according to my fingers. I got it from the Water Office Website:

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/google_map/google_map_e.html?search_type=province&province=BC

their data is real time.

don't believe so. Water Taxi's that drop anglers off on river bars etc may be charged for illegal guiding.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2018, 04:54:58 PM »

I wouldn't offer a ride to strangers and If I didn't have a boat I would stay away from taking a ride with someone you dont know. Are they insured? How would a stranger react if something went wrong ? Would they sue ? That's why commercial insurance would be helpful. Also, if something were to happen the powers that be would look into how many people you're allowed to carry, the total weight and black bla bla bla

Best to stick to Sea Bird island something for the folks that dont have a boat.

Solid advice - everything that is helpful seems to be a liability these days. Best to work on my own timetable anyways. Can you imagine if the bugger you gave a lift to decides to walk away or hitches a ride back out without telling you? Gosh, what if the guy had a medical emergency or suddenly get a call from someone and he wants a ride back before you're ready. Definitely not worth the risk or hassle.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:00:09 PM by Rieber »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42