Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices  (Read 170171 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: 2018 Fraser River Sockeye Notices
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2018, 07:11:30 AM »

BB'd, netted, bought, bartered, fly fished, Spin fished - however you aquire these wonderful missiles, they all taste the same. I honestly don't care how you get your limit as this is likely the last time we'll ever see this opening so I hope everyone gets their fill of them this year. I also hope I am very wrong about this being the last year we get an opening but from now on it will be year to year - if we're lucky every 4th year will be our only real hope for Rec openings. Let's not worry or dwell on that anymore - the damage is done and hopefully major morality factors can be mitigated to correct and enhance future returns.

Personally, I'm still on the fence about participating in this harvest this year. I didn't buy the tag/stamp and although I still have my Sockeye BB'g gear/supplies still ready and fully stocked from 6 years or so ago but I'm just not feeling the urgency anymore. I think at this stage, it would take some serious arm twisting and perfect weather conditions for me to get out on the Fraser again for sockeye. I think I'm more interested in an opportunity to buy some fresh sockeye from legal vendors (whomever they are). Maybe I buy the salmon tag and take my gear but mostly just drop the boat in the Fraser to provide a shuttle service for my buddies and just hang around the boat until they're ready to go. I don't know - I'm just not into the effort any more - I just don't feel it's the right thing to do anymore. It is what it is.  :-\

Shinny

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2018, 07:36:31 AM »

BB'd, netted, bought, bartered, fly fished, Spin fished - however you aquire these wonderful missiles, they all taste the same. I honestly don't care how you get your limit as this is likely the last time we'll ever see this opening so I hope everyone gets their fill of them this year. I also hope I am very wrong about this being the last year we get an opening but from now on it will be year to year - if we're lucky every 4th year will be our only real hope for Rec openings. Let's not worry or dwell on that anymore - the damage is done and hopefully major morality factors can be mitigated to correct and enhance future returns.

Personally, I'm still on the fence about participating in this harvest this year. I didn't buy the tag/stamp and although I still have my Sockeye BB'g gear/supplies still ready and fully stocked from 6 years or so ago but I'm just not feeling the urgency anymore. I think at this stage, it would take some serious arm twisting and perfect weather conditions for me to get out on the Fraser again for sockeye. I think I'm more interested in an opportunity to buy some fresh sockeye from legal vendors (whomever they are). Maybe I buy the salmon tag and take my gear but mostly just drop the boat in the Fraser to provide a shuttle service for my buddies and just hang around the boat until they're ready to go. I don't know - I'm just not into the effort any more - I just don't feel it's the right thing to do anymore. It is what it is.  :-\

What time does your boat taxi to sockeye bar leave at?

If you feel bad about B.B. for two sockeye then just drive by the St.Elmo area and watch the FN nets getting pulled in filled high with sockeye that have been trapped in the nets for hours and died via drowning with pale coloured meat. Then look back at your two beautiful dimes in your cooler with perfect red meat and let the guilt evaporate like the sweat on my bum crack while i was B.B. with close friends on an uninhabited bar.  8)

B.B. is part of the game for catching socks and yes you can also hook springs. Some will release them, some won’t. Same thing can be said for the chum netting in the fall on the Fraser. Lots of those nets also catch Thompson steelhead and other fish but since the netting is being done by commercial and FN it seems no on cares. Those fish are in a real danger. Springs getting caught by B.B...  ::) come on.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2018, 07:39:32 AM »

The craigslist sockeye ads are up.  Asking price is $20 per fish.

Shinny

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »

Oh.. Up from the $12/fish that the FN band at the mouth of the Fraser was selling them last time round. Guess inflation and Justin Trudeau angel tears have increased the prices.

$6/lbs for spring in case anyone else is wondering.

Maybe we should start a separate sockeye thread for the people that are high and mighty and above bb so they know the going rate of FN sockeye prices. Wouldn't want someone to get ripped off since that's so much more of ethical way to get fish. .  :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:46:18 AM by Shinny »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2018, 07:49:54 AM »

I have literally seen you bottom bouncing peg leg multiple times... Also purchasing salmon from a non commercial source when they haven’t had their own commercial opening is more illegal then bottom bouncing

ha ha...someone smoking dope on the bar is far more likely to get busted than someone who buys a fish from an FN!

bottom bouncing is perfectly legal in any event.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »

just get your gear ready for next Tuesday, flossing and gill netting will be open that day for both user groups. this will be one last weekend for FN only inriver fisheries then it's a free for all in the river.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2018, 09:49:19 AM »

FSC Fisheries Caught over 60,000 last week sockeye are around,

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/SockeyeKeptCatch.pdf

Recreational Fishing in River Is suppose to open Tuesday!  Fishing shop said the email just went out

Also Area E Commecial gilnet opening from Tuesday to Thursday possible!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2018, 09:52:52 AM »

Personally, I'm still on the fence about participating in this harvest this year.

Don't be Rieber!
It is very likely the last great return of sockeye in our lifetime, so we might as well make the best of the opening.
I just bought my salmon tag. Let's enjoy it!  ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2018, 11:26:44 AM »

FSC Fisheries Caught over 60,000 last week sockeye are around,

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/SockeyeKeptCatch.pdf

What do you think they'll do with the 60,000 Sockeye? That's a lot of fish.

Shinny

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »

What do you think they'll do with the 60,000 Sockeye? That's a lot of fish.

Probably eat them all of course. What else would you do with 60,000 fish *$20 each.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »

With water temperature at 19, 20C, pre-spawn mortality is going to be high. A good % of these fish will never make it to the spawning grounds, so stop fishing once you catch and retain your fish if you choose to participate when this fishery opens.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »

With water temperature at 19, 20C, pre-spawn mortality is going to be high. A good % of these fish will never make it to the spawning grounds, so stop fishing once you catch and retain your fish if you choose to participate when this fishery opens.

Good advice.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2018, 12:50:24 PM »

Probably eat them all of course. What else would you do with 60,000 fish *$20 each.

Geesh - there must be a lot of ceremonies.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2018, 12:55:26 PM »

100% with you on that one. Get your two socks and get out of the river - but only after you catch your salmon.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2018, 12:57:38 PM »

100% with you on that one. Get your two socks and get out of the river - but only after you catch your chinook salmon.

There. I fixed it for you!  :-*