Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transporting 10ft Jon boat on car rack  (Read 6567 times)

FishOn36

Transporting 10ft Jon boat on car rack
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »

I've been seriously looking into getting a 10ft jon boat lately, for smaller local lakes and small water spots. The problem is I don't have a truck, nor is my car a junker so tying roped against the front/rear bumpers isn't an option. Checked out different rack options from Yakima and Thule, and it looks like they can support a fair amount of weight (up to approx 170lbs depending on the rack system).

The jon boat that I'm looking at is around 112lbs according to the manufacturer website. So I'm wondering would it be possible to attach front and rear straps from the boat carry handles to the rack bars to prevent it from shifting forward and backwards? I would think that would be a lot of stress on the rack if that boat ever shifted one way or another. Not sure how tight the rack feet actually fit against the car to keep it in place. I'm planning to use ratchet straps to secure the boat.

Already have a small inflatable, but it's far from ideal to fish from so that's why I'm leaning towards the aluminum. Seems like it would be a lot less hassle, for the most part.

Have any of you guys done this before?  ???

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Transporting 10ft Jon boat on car rack
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 10:56:32 AM »

You can use foam blocks or pieces of carpet etc. so you dont scratch your paint.
I would never transport a racked boat without ropes front and back.
I know people do but i could never trust it without the ropes.

FishOn36

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »

You can use foam blocks or pieces of carpet etc. so you dont scratch your paint.
I would never transport a racked boat without ropes front and back.
I know people do but i could never trust it without the ropes.

Yeah I was hopeful that i could use ratchet straps on front and back to the rack instead underneath the bumpers, but like I said it might put too much stress on the bars, or rack feet if it were to shift.

Dusty Mac

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »

I would be concerned not putting straps to the bumpers.  The boat weighs 112lbs, the rack is rated to 170lbs. It would not take too much speed to overcome the 50lbs you have left.  That boat is a big sail.

GordJ

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 08:13:59 PM »

I’m not sure why you would hesitate to strap from handle to rack? There doesn’t have to be any tension to ensure that the boat doesn’t slide forward or back but only minimum tension in the unlikely occurrence of the boat sliding. Your ratchet straps will hold the boat to rack and will probably be sufficient to stop any front to back movement anyway. Go ahead and tie a piece of 15 lb. braid to the handle and rack, strap the boat down and then try to break the braid by pushing or pulling on the boat. Twenty bucks says that you can’t break the braid.

FishOn36

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 08:34:28 PM »

I’m not sure why you would hesitate to strap from handle to rack? There doesn’t have to be any tension to ensure that the boat doesn’t slide forward or back but only minimum tension in the unlikely occurrence of the boat sliding. Your ratchet straps will hold the boat to rack and will probably be sufficient to stop any front to back movement anyway. Go ahead and tie a piece of 15 lb. braid to the handle and rack, strap the boat down and then try to break the braid by pushing or pulling on the boat. Twenty bucks says that you can’t break the braid.

Don't think you understood my post GordJ,

I am (was?) planning to use ratchet straps on the front and rear carry handles of the boat, attached to the rack to prevent forward/backward sliding. What I'm hesitant about is using ropes to the front and rear bumpers from the carry handles like you see people do with canoes and longer kayaks. Would feel a lot more confident with those tied to the rack anyways, as long as it can handle that.

GordJ

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »

I think I understand just fine, lol. After the ratchet straps go across the boat to hold it on the rack it is my opinion, after hauling a boat on my roofs for about twenty years, that 15 lb. braid would be adequate to stop any front to back movement. The ratchet straps (handle to rack) that you want to put on will put almost no stress on the rack unless you go crazy tightening them. If you want to alleviate your fears come out to my place in Langley and we can throw a boat on my racks, strap it across and you can try to move it front to back or back to front without any handle to rack tie downs.
You’re worried about “shifting” or putting stress on the Thules/Yakimas  and I’m saying to not worry.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 10:23:03 PM »

I tied 14' jon on roof rack. drive from Vancouver to Kamloops. Just tie down, no rope to bumper. very safe.

FishOn36

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »

I think I understand just fine, lol. After the ratchet straps go across the boat to hold it on the rack it is my opinion, after hauling a boat on my roofs for about twenty years, that 15 lb. braid would be adequate to stop any front to back movement. The ratchet straps (handle to rack) that you want to put on will put almost no stress on the rack unless you go crazy tightening them. If you want to alleviate your fears come out to my place in Langley and we can throw a boat on my racks, strap it across and you can try to move it front to back or back to front without any handle to rack tie downs.
You’re worried about “shifting” or putting stress on the Thules/Yakimas  and I’m saying to not worry.

That's good news. Was thinking I probably should of looked at racks prior to getting the boat yesterday, but I know I'll get it out there one way or another anyways. I haven't seen anyone haul an actual aluminum boat on a car in a long time around here....and trying to find close up pics/video online of how people have it tied down has been hard to find, at least for me. Lots of kayak and canoes.....but no boats. Using ratchet straps on it, even just across ways would keep it pretty solid to the rack I would think. I have extra 30lb, and 50lb braid sitting around but seeing as how ratchet straps tend to come in packs of 4, that'll be my go to. Don't like dealing with ropes!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:48:00 AM by FishOn36 »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »

The jon boat that I'm looking at is around 112lbs according to the manufacturer website. So I'm wondering would it be possible to attach front and rear straps from the boat carry handles to the rack bars to prevent it from shifting forward and backwards? I would think that would be a lot of stress on the rack if that boat ever shifted one way or another. Not sure how tight the rack feet actually fit against the car to keep it in place. I'm planning to use ratchet straps to secure the boat.

This is going to be the important factor. Ratchet straps will do a solid job of securing the boat to the rack, no worries there. If you also strapped it to the vehicle, the down force will also help keep the rack in place, but if you cant/don't want to do that, if one foot slips or disengages, would be the worst outcome. But that would be a rare event with a properly installed rack. I suspect modern racks are really well made. Stick with a known manufacturer and dont cheap out and I think you'll be fine.

As an alternative to the bumpers, if you really must have peace of mind, would you consider secondarily strapping it down through the windows? I think even that's overkill if you have a good quality rack.

The only piece of advice I would give is as you are securing each strap down, give it several good yanks back and forth to make sure it settles into it's shortest path, and it wont shift during transport.

GordJ

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 11:35:58 AM »

That's good news. Was thinking I probably should of looked at racks prior to getting the boat yesterday, but I know I'll get it out there one way or another anyways. I haven't seen anyone haul an actual aluminum boat on a car in a long time around here....and trying to find close up pics/video online of how people have it tied down has been hard to find, at least for me. Lots of kayak and canoes.....but no boats. Using ratchet straps on it, even just across ways would keep it pretty solid to the rack I would think. I have extra 30lb, and 50lb braid sitting around but seeing as how ratchet straps tend to come in packs of 4, that'll be my go to. Don't like dealing with ropes!
Just to be clear, I am not saying to use braid, I was trying to demonstrate the amount of anchoring required to stop back/front movement. I would use the ratchet straps with them being taut but not over tightened.

FishOn36

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »

Just to be clear, I am not saying to use braid, I was trying to demonstrate the amount of anchoring required to stop back/front movement. I would use the ratchet straps with them being taut but not over tightened.

Don't worry, I would never use braid a "Cheaper" alternative to ratchet straps lol ;)

Old Blue

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 06:15:03 AM »

First off if you're not tieing to the front bumper then get the highest weight rated racks you can. 

Put the boat on your rack and lightly attach your ratchet straps over the width of your boat and onto your rack, light enough so the boat can still slide forwards and backwards.  I like my boat a bit more towards the front but over time you find the sweet spot on your vehicle (FYI I attach to my front bumper)

Use a slightly thicker rope that has almost zero stretch and attach to the front boat handle and tie down to the rack making sure there's a few wraps around the rack, I do 3 then knot then 2 more followed by knot.  Once snug and tied down then push boat from the rear to get it right tight so if there's any slack in the rope it's gone. 

Crank down the front ratchet strap first, followed by the rear and you should be good.  Test it out driving locally before doing a trip, it;ll help with confidence and finding your sweet spot.

I always stop before jumping on the highway to do a spot check and also an hour or so after on the highway to make sure nothing has shifted or loosened up.  Keep stopping periodically and keep your speed down as a precaution your first few trips.

Also carry extra ratchet straps...last trip on the way home I was just coming off the Coq just before the exit to Hope and hit a massive pot hole and blew my front strap off as I had it cranked to the tits.  There was no movement of the boat luckily at 110km with only my rope and rear strap and I had an extra 4 so just threw on another and went on my way.

I really do recommend using your bumper though, good rope shouldn't damage it and you could use furniture packing or other soft fabric as a brace between the rope and your vehicle as extra protection.

Best of luck.

FishOn36

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 11:09:09 AM »

First off if you're not tieing to the front bumper then get the highest weight rated racks you can. 

Put the boat on your rack and lightly attach your ratchet straps over the width of your boat and onto your rack, light enough so the boat can still slide forwards and backwards.  I like my boat a bit more towards the front but over time you find the sweet spot on your vehicle (FYI I attach to my front bumper)

Use a slightly thicker rope that has almost zero stretch and attach to the front boat handle and tie down to the rack making sure there's a few wraps around the rack, I do 3 then knot then 2 more followed by knot.  Once snug and tied down then push boat from the rear to get it right tight so if there's any slack in the rope it's gone. 

Crank down the front ratchet strap first, followed by the rear and you should be good.  Test it out driving locally before doing a trip, it;ll help with confidence and finding your sweet spot.

I always stop before jumping on the highway to do a spot check and also an hour or so after on the highway to make sure nothing has shifted or loosened up.  Keep stopping periodically and keep your speed down as a precaution your first few trips.

Also carry extra ratchet straps...last trip on the way home I was just coming off the Coq just before the exit to Hope and hit a massive pot hole and blew my front strap off as I had it cranked to the tits.  There was no movement of the boat luckily at 110km with only my rope and rear strap and I had an extra 4 so just threw on another and went on my way.

I really do recommend using your bumper though, good rope shouldn't damage it and you could use furniture packing or other soft fabric as a brace between the rope and your vehicle as extra protection.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the tips. Just curious, how big of a boat do you have and what kind of vehicle are you transporting it on?

yogibear

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »

I have an issue related to this. I've got a 12ft aluminum boat, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to car top my boat to my van without an electric boat loader. I've got a rhino rack, but loading my boat on top by myself seems difficult. Anyone got any advice?