Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stump lake  (Read 5955 times)

Alomar

Stump lake
« on: May 10, 2018, 10:03:31 PM »

Hey all, heading to a buddy’s cabin at stump lake on the long weekend, he’s not much into fishing but gonna bring my little Lund, heard there was some  Kokanee in there anyone have any experience with this fishery, thanks

colin6101

Re: Stump lake
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 11:00:13 PM »

I've fished it a lot over the years but mostly on the fly. What are you planning on using? For flies I've had success targeting kokanee on small bright green chironomids and small red leeches.

Here's a good video on using spinning tackle to fish for them in Stump by Brian Chan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8mGouZKMMo

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 12:04:35 AM »

It has good kokanee though I did not get one. The rainbow size is shrinked and meat is pale. There are many quality lakes nearby. You don't have to fish stump lake all day long.

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »

I've heard the kokanee fishery is better in june and july once the water warms up more but I'm sure you can still get some action.  I was going to suggest the video Colin posted as well and there's a few other gear videos on youtube.

There are some huge rainbows there, my best guess would be chironomids on the shoals, maybe a bigger meal item like fat leech patterns or a floating gomphus with very short leader on a sinking line twitched in 10-15ft .

Be prepared for wind so get on the water early

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:55:39 AM »

The 2 times I have fished stump I’ve been blown off the lake all the way to lundbom and Roche the other time.

Alomar

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:18:58 PM »

Probably gonna use similar set up to Bryan Chan’s , dodger snuber May b wedding band tipped with died krill, thanks everyone

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:14:28 AM »

Could be mistaken but I thought I heard the road into Stump was washed out ? I've never been there but thought I heard some guys talking at Tunkwa that it was hooped.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:31:14 AM by iblly »

colin6101

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »

There's multiple roads around Stump Lake but as far as I know Planet Mine Rd is fine as far as cabin access go. It could be washed out after the cabins though (towards to camping area) or something may have changed really recently.