Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prawn Trap Help  (Read 1602 times)

Fijibob

Prawn Trap Help
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »

Howdy all. 

Dropped my first prawn trap in Indian Arm, up by the old Hydro Dam that folks had suggested.  Had about 3 pounds of weight in the trap.  400 feet of line, and a large yellow buoy attached.  Dropped it in about 300 feet of water.  Looked good.  Hit bottom.  Tossed the buoy.  Watched it for a while, all seemed great.  This was around 11 AM two days ago. 

Let is soak over night, was told the longer the better.  Went back about 10 AM and our buoy was no where in sight.  Other trap buoy's were around, not super close to where ours was.  We cruised around for a bit, thinking maybe it "drifted" or in case it was below the surface a few feet.  We were at the exact point from the waypoint on the GPS.

Very strange.  Was wondering what everyone thinks went wrong??  Did I screw up??  Was it stolen??  Should I not leave things over night???

Thanks for help, advice, in advance.

zap brannigan

Re: Prawn Trap Help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »

Stolen, happens often.

Fijibob

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:58:53 AM »

Thanks.  That's very depressing.......

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »

You can try going back at low tide. I dropped my traps last week and thought it was only 270 feet and i had 400 ft of rope... i thought i was good. I went back to retrieve my trap but i could not find it; however,  I was lucky to find my float just beneath the surface after a bit of searching.

Fijibob

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »

I want to do that too. My buddy, who owns the boat, seems to be ok with the loss. But, I think I have him convinced to go back one more time and look.

Thanks for the advice.