Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lodge Tipping Etiquette  (Read 7199 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Lodge Tipping Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 06:36:08 AM »

Thanks for your post stsfisher. Makes me feel a bit less anxious about the whole thing  ;)

Old Blue

Re: Lodge Tipping Etiquette
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 10:45:16 AM »

Maybe I should have stated at the top that the trip is a gift to my dad and I... there's no way I could afford it otherwise. As an ex-service industry employee, I know how important tips are to the people that rely on them. I want to be in the normal range of tipping, even if it's the low end. I can't afford to tip 10-15% of the cost of the entire trip though, these places are crazy expensive! I expect we'll be surrounded by rich Americans :P

I was planning on tipping $100 per day for the guiding. We'll be with the guide for three days. I have no idea for the rest of the wait staff/housekeeping/dock staff though. I don't want to be cheap but also can't spend $1000+ on tips.

That's a good benchmark and no guide would be disappointed with $100 but make sure they've given a basic level of service. 

All shore staff generally pool their tips, envelopes are usually provided so I think $20-30/person/day is reasonable unless they're horrible or have gone out of their way to provide an exceptional time for you and your father so adjust accordingly.

Sometimes just being nice and polite goes a long way with staff....I know it did for myself when I spent 2 summers up north.