Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Commercial FN Fishery Granted  (Read 12950 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Commercial FN Fishery Granted
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »

Well written post and a good perspective to think about. Thanks Sir. I have the same hope.. need a like button :P

X2

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »

Nog, I am sorry for how this decision will affect your livelihood. That must be a scary place to in.

Sir Snag-A-Lot, you don't post-a-lot but you articulated a balanced perspective a hundred times better than I could. Thanks. 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 10:18:36 AM »

It’s 2018… Will the Salmon Allocation Policy Change?

https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/its-2018-will-the-salmon-allocation-policy-change/

The entire court ruling runs to 401 pages, but the key part for the recreational fishery relates to the decision by the court that the aboriginal commercial right to fish has priority over other sectors, with paragraph 925 concluding “To accord priority to the recreational fishery over the plaintiffs’ aboriginal commercial fishery is not justified.”

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 11:44:43 AM »

Folks not all our fisheries are in 'disaster mode'. While most salmon stocks have problems that range to severe, other fisheries like halibut and spot prawns are healthy and well managed. I'd bet most anglers won't notice much difference to their access to various fisheries. The ruling stated most of the FN commercial activity will be artisanal in nature which means focused and small in scope. From what I read the ruling sees something similar to what has been in place on the East coast for many years where the focus is for FN people to supplement their income and not even make a livelihood from  their commercial activity. It probably won't impact the regular commercial fishery much. Beware of chicken little is all I can say!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:24:06 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »

Wow, can I just say how refreshing it is that everyone can have such a reasoned and civil discussion of these topics?  As an American, it honestly makes me more than a little jealous.  Both this thread and the discussion of gun legislation have been other-worldly.  Thank you all.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 07:54:06 PM »

http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/2018March12_FRAFS%20Letter%20to%20DFO%20February%2027-March%201%202018%20FORUM.pdf

Have a read and come back and tell me with a straight face, That the recent decision won't have an impact.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »

Wow thewildman and Bob Hooton are sharing the same brainwaves these days

http://steelheadvoices.com/?p=941

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 10:29:04 PM »

As an American, it honestly makes me more than a little jealous.  Both this thread and the discussion of gun legislation have been other-worldly.  Thank you all.

That makes two of us. As I follow the political machinations of our neighbour to the south, “other worldly” is a phrase I would use too!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 07:00:18 AM »

http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/2018March12_FRAFS%20Letter%20to%20DFO%20February%2027-March%201%202018%20FORUM.pdf

Have a read and come back and tell me with a straight face, That the recent decision won't have an impact.

what's this have to do with the Humphries decision? The report was released well before it? It been obvious for yearsthe spring and summer component of the Fraser Chinook run, IFS and other Fraser stocks are in a shee load of trouble.

As usual contemporary anglers worry about their slice of the pie - not conservation and disguise it by shrieking that the sky is falling.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »

As usual contemporary anglers worry about their slice of the pie - not conservation and disguise it by shrieking that the sky is falling.

This is a generational issue, Me and my FN friend stand on bank fishing, him with his net, me with my rod. On the other side of the river stands my Dad and His Elder, Screaming at us to stop fishing and conserve stocks.

I turn to my FN friend and say I'll stop fishing when you stop fishing, He turns to me and says I'll stop fishing when you stop playing with my food and me and my FN friend keep fishing.

I simply can't see the world as you do Ralph, I don't have the wisdom of age or experience. Like my Young FN friend all we see is our opportunities shrinking and are just left with stories from our elders of legendary fishing that once existed that no longer does. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:54:09 AM by wildmanyeah »

TNAngler

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »

How long do they get that for? Forever? The Earth kind of belongs to everyone.. and there are so many people and so much migration/mixing that it seems a bit weird to have certain cultures have first dibs because they were there first.. It does seem a bit like an old way of thinking and just keeps the people divided by race? From reading that link it seems that they come second at the moment.. which definitely isn't fair to FN, and isn't equality. :s What a complex issue...........

Yes, forever, which is one of huge problems with the situation.  There is never a plan or working toward anything else.  This is the way it is and this is the way it will always be.  Unfortunately you didn't get a treaty from the gov't because what should happen is the FN get 50% of the fish, since your ancestors came earlier than newer migrants, you should get 50% of the remaining 50%.  Those that migrated in the last 10 years should get 50% of the remaining 25%.  Heck, lets just split it by what century your ancestors arrived.  Every time you go fishing you better bring your family tree showing when your people showed up.

The treaty was a poor treaty to try and make them feel like they weren't losing everything and wasn't thought through as well as we would have wished.  I wish there was an effort to revamp these treaties to work toward a forever solution that doesn't separate people forever but I don't see it happening.

TNAngler

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2018, 09:38:39 AM »

That being said, this was the case in WA when I was in school (at least to the best of my knowledge) where the fisheries were split into 4 parts, Native rec, Native commercial, non-Native rec and non-Native commercial.  I believe the Rec and commercial split salt versus fresh water.  Natives got to go first and get their quota first, whatever that quota was.  If there were fish left over, the non-natives would go.  It works when there are plenty of fish to go around but if there are not, it really can cost a lot of livelihoods.  I think if this was put in place decades ago when there were plenty of fish, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.  Today though, this is really going to hurt a lot of people.

TNAngler

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »

The other issue that I think likely hasn't been considered is in WA, natives could buy non-native commercial licenses and fish both as natives and non-natives.  When fish got scarce, the non-natives couldn't make it and sold their licenses.  The only ones that could buy them were the natives because they were the only ones that could make enough money at it and now suddenly you have the natives controlling 3 of the 4 groups.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »

From , Bob Hooten’s blog:

Back on that Nuu-chch-nulth fish allocation decision again. Here is a clip from an email that arrived earlier today in response to my "Troubled Waters" blog at steelheadvoices.com The author, Dr. Ehor Orest Boyanowsky, is a well known wild fish advocate and Thompson steelhead aficionado. Forgive my bias but I think Dr. Boyanowsky's message warrants circulation beyond those on his distribution list.

"This news is as bad as it could possibly be. A tiny race based minority are now the princes of the kingdom recreating the exclusive right of people of a specific racial origin to a vast, previously common property resource as it existed with kings and their immediate relations in Scotland, England and Europe for centuries. That monarchic system, based on the families, the chieftains and lords, who originally owned those lands, was why our forefathers fled for a better life in Canada. For democracy. Good bye democracy and public sport fishing on Vancouver Island. I dread the backlash coming when the implications sink in to the consciousness of BC’s nonaboriginal population - when they stop holding their breath in hoping this will go away.

I hope the law professors and judges who created the climate that allowed this travesty turn over in their graves. That is the problem with allowing people not bright enough to realize the implications of their rulings to possess the ultimate power to determine our destiny. That is why a small group of us founded the Canadian Constitution Foundation when the Nisga’a Treaty was proposed and took it all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada prompting the NDP govt of the time to brand me a racist. Why because I wrote editorials arguing against allowing race based semi sovereign states to be created in BC. How ironic can you get? But unfortunately, we lost and ‘apres moi, le deluge.’ This ruling is not reconciliation, it is the fuel that eventually ignites into hatred."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 01:42:12 PM »

Yes, forever, which is one of huge problems with the situation.  There is never a plan or working toward anything else.  This is the way it is and this is the way it will always be.

Conceivably it's forever but the possibilities include the constitution being amended, a further court review further down the road (this would be in decades if at all), Canada breaking up or being conquered and all previous existing rights, laws and agreements being revoked for whatever replaces it. Overall nothing lasts forever and that includes the current iteration of the human species. Once we are gone, it's all gone.