Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing at Coal Harbour  (Read 5251 times)

KarateKick

Fishing at Coal Harbour
« on: March 31, 2018, 05:32:15 PM »

Does the DFO disallow fishing at certain parts of Coal Habour? Today a friend got kicked out of the area by a local resident who threatened to call DFO.

Dogbreath

Re: Fishing at Coal Harbour
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:38:58 PM »

Closed between Lions Gate & Ironworkers Memorial Bridge always has been as long as I've lived here.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »

I watched this video about fishing in Coal Harbour a while back, forget how I found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVnD-NlDKlg

I think there was a recent forum post about fishing in that location but, if I'm not imagining it, I can't find the thread anymore.

Here's the link to the relevant region page: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

Can't find anything there about restrictions on area 28-10 but I've had less practice with DFO's regs and website than the provincial ones. If there's info on restrictions online please post a link so I know where to check for next time  ::)

KarateKick

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »

I feel awful for telling them to try that area. The person who harassed them did her best to publicly humiliate them. It was traumatizing for the grandparents and the kids.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 05:37:26 PM by KarateKick »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 09:55:33 PM »

That sucks.

On a side note, Deer Lake was stocked a few days ago. Como was also done last week, along with Green Timbers. Probably more listed on the GoFish BC website. My buddy is new to fishing and he's been going nuts this past week catching trout at the local lakes. Might be worth your time to check out if the drive's not too far for you :)

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 11:54:45 PM »

I figure that since there was no "no fishing" signs it wouldn't be much of an issue, a bylaw officer even came by and asked if I caught anything! Ive fished there bunch of times and have just gotten yelled at and threatened by the local kayak club. Most people are very friendly and very curious. Where abouts in coal harbor did your friend fish?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 02:33:15 PM »

Closed between Lions Gate & Ironworkers Memorial Bridge always has been as long as I've lived here.

Closed for crabbing & bivalves yes, for regular fishing, I dont believe that's the case. I dont see anything in the online regs suggestion that sub area is closed to all fishing.

I feel awful for telling them to try that area. The person who harassed them did her best to publicly humiliate them. It was traumatizing for the grandparents and the kids.

Sounds like an unpleasant experience, which is truly unfortunate and undeserved in any case. Unless there no fishing signs or anything to suggest some local rule not in the synopsis, I dont think they did anything wrong.

KarateKick

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »

MetalAndFeathers, I apologize if it sounded like I was blaming you for their bad experience. They were just unlucky to run into an opportunistic bully who liked harassing immigrants.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »

No worries. Pretty unfortunate that your friend had to encounter some bad apples. If you would like to join me one day in the summer down there feel free to pm me, I can bring all the gear

GordJ

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 07:53:51 PM »

I have fished there as long as I can remember but my memory only goes as far back as the Sun Free swimming lessons at the salt water pools at Lumbermans Arch and 3rd Beach and of course Windermere. You know, the '50s.

StillAqua

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 12:17:14 PM »

That's a shame....they ran into an ignorant bully. You can't fish from a boat between Lions Gate and Second Narrows and past there along the southern half to Garry Point I believe. Those are Port Authority rules. Otherwise Sub-Area 28-10 which includes Coal Harbour is open for shore fishing but restricted to certain species. Flounder, sculpin, perch, dogfish are all fine. Rockfish have to be released.

KarateKick

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 12:42:50 PM »

Thank you MetalAndFeathers for the offer! My kids look forward to catching a dogfish with you.

Thank you Blood_Orange for the info on lake stocking. Is it the Deer Lake in Burnaby that was recently stocked? There is another Deer Lake in the interior somewhere.

Thank you everyone for the detailed info on regulations. It's always nice to talk to you after encountering or hearing about mean people. I can't pay you back for your help but I am doing my best to pay it forward, with a focus on the weak and vulnerable.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »

Yes, Deer Lake in Burnaby. My buddy's been fishing from the dock and having success.

mkempe

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 08:51:56 AM »

The map on page might help.. Seems like fishing is good to go as long as you stay outside the deep sea transit route

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/SafeBoatingGuide-BurrardInlet.pdf

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »

Interesting map. I didn't know that the bay had designated "parking spots" for the container ships!