Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis  (Read 4528 times)

winter steel

Chehalis
« on: March 23, 2018, 05:27:51 PM »

Fished the Chehalis this morning, had the river all to myself. A nice way to spend a couple of hours staring away at the float. Although the float did not disappear it is a great way to recharge the batteries and forget about life for awhile. I was hoping that the rain that fell would suck a fish or two into the system but to no avail. The river sure has changed...again, since the fall. I'm sure spring freshet will do the same as the winter rains and shift around some more gravel and river bed. No fry noticed in any of the quieter water either. Enjoy what is left of the steelhead season.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 10:24:53 PM »

.... had the river all to myself.... forget about life for awhile.....Enjoy what is left of the steelhead season.
I like that too.
It ain't the roe bro'

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 05:51:55 AM »

I haven't been on the Chehalis for 15+ years now. I loved that little stream for spring time Steelhead action after workdays in the afternoons. Did the river find its way near the hatchery or has it remained diverted away from the hatchery channel?

winter steel

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 11:48:46 AM »

Rieber, unless Mother Nature does some serious moving from the Bible Camp side of things the Chehalis is never coming back towards the hatchery. However, what is interesting is the course that it is taking below the Bible camp. It is seriously eroding the bank on the hatchery side at the first run below the bible camp and could push through in the next couple of years. It won't be right by the hatchery but at least will move its way west, which in my opinion is a good thing. It really is a lovely little river and although it changes from year to year in the flood plains I believe that makes it even more interesting to fish. Tight lines.