Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silver or gold?  (Read 2307 times)

Capt. jack

• fishing on piers bc
Silver or gold?
« on: March 18, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »

Went to Hubs sports to pick up a reel for my Eagle claw pack rod, also picked up an old Williams silver spoon in its original packaging,
On the back it says, NOTE: Use gold plated Williams lures on bright days, silver plated for dull days or evenings.
The gold-silver combination surest at any time.

However in the lure jensen tech reports, (Lake trolling) it says:  Nickel finishes work best on bright days or in clear water, while Brass and Copper finishes produce better in murky, deep or brackish (tea‑colored) water. Brass, 50/50 Brass‑Nickel or Copper finishes work well when skies are overcast.

I'm soo confused...  Who's right? who's unright?
"What? Every body knows I drink coffee when I watch sonar"

bigsnag

• Old Timer
Re: Silver or gold?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 10:18:55 PM »

don't worry about the color just yet, get one of each color and a couple of sizes, fish it hard, put in the time to learn how to put it where you wanted to, then the BS will come.....
It ain't the roe bro'

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »

If that's a Williams Wabler I have only fished them shallow (down to 16 feet) and prefer silver hammered or hammered half and half to the flat or all gold ones.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:36:44 PM »

I've always heard the "silver for sunny" saying. It's always held true for me. That being said, if you're targeting coho or steelhead, there are just rivers that have "their color." Honestly, I pick my finish based on the water size, clarity, and colour rather than weather in most cases.

My rules:
Super clear rivers, small/clear water: copper fav, gold or brass otherwise
Clear large rivers: copper/colour (typically orange or pink), brass or gold with color (orange, pink, or chartreuse).
Rivers that have some sort of tint/color to them: straight silver or a silver/colour combo.

Lately when exploring, a great all around spoon is the matte or "white silver." In low and clear I'll leave them as is. In some rivers that have "a color" the fish like, or the water has lower vis, I have a few different colored sharpies in my pocket.

You really can't go wrong with silver/brass and silver/copper to cover pretty much anything you want though. Copper in clear, and brass to be seen are what I stick with.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 06:18:28 AM »

Gold for everything.