Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me accessorize new lake boat  (Read 4623 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Help me accessorize new lake boat
« on: March 18, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »

Soon I will have the dream lake boat set up I've wanted for years. Sold our older trailered 12 foot v-hull the other day. Put a deposit on a rear powered boat loader through Load-It in Langley (chose Load-It over 4boys, but that is a different discussion). Will be getting that installed once I buy the new lake boat. Still deciding between a couple different john boats. Gotta get the wife to sit in them and make sure she likes the ergonomics before I make the final choice.

Anyway, once I have the loader and boat home it will be time to pimp it out! I want to take my time and make sure everything I buy is a solid purchase. The first priority is seats. The old boat had a space under the seats and we sat on removable seats that strapped/snapped together. They were made for canoes I believe. Fairly comfy actually.

All the new boats I'm looking at you can not access under the seats. The aluminum goes more or less to the floor and the benches are filled with foam. Can't get a wrench/ratchet underneath to bolt a pedestal in place. Is this a problem? Do most of them just screw to the bench seat?

Also I'd like some advice on pedestal and seats. Looking in Cascade and Cabelas last week there are a LOT of different pedestal options! I want something where the seats can be removed if I choose, and where the seats will swivel. Don't want/need pedestals that raise/lower or move side to side.

I'm not worried about choosing seats I like, but do find the choice of pedestals confusing. Also if anyone has any install tricks/tips I'm all ears. Adding locktite to the screws or whatever.

When the seating is complete I'll be adding rod holders and anchors etc. Not too worried about that at the moment, I plan to go all Scotty.

If anyone has any other sharp ideas I'm all ears. I've always hated how the full size oars seem to always be in the way. Any thoughts on telescopic oars? I wouldn't want to be without them in case the motor craps out. Also useful for pushing off from shore where too shallow to drop the motor. However on a 12 ft boat I find they are a PITA when not in use. Any developments in technology I am not aware of?   

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Help me accessorize new lake boat
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »

Rod covered the seat mounting hardware.

I will tackle the oars thing.  You may find it handy to mount them on the outside of the boat.

(I personally have one, small telescoping paddle that I keep in the boat to cover me off legally, no oars).  I run a gas motor  and a MinnKota in my 14' tinny, so the joke is on me if I need to get back to shore using the paddle.

Front and rear Scotty anchor locks are a must.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:24:01 PM by Damien »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:23:58 PM »

Thank you Rodney and Damian. I like the looks of that seat mounting hardware. Will have to look at these next time I'm in HD.

I have seen the Spratley in Sea Run has the oars on the outside. Next time I'm in there I'll have to check out how well they are affixed. I am guessing they are on there pretty well otherwise no one would buy them. One thing I know is I do not want full size oars inside the boat like we has with the last boat. What a pain!

Yup plan to get the front and rear Scotty anchor locks. First priority will be seating. The rest of the stuff I can add slowly but before I even take the new set up out for a test run I want a nice seat to plan my arse in :)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:02 AM »

When your ready to purchase anchor rope ,get a hold of me.
Works great with the Scotty pullers.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »

When the seating is complete I'll be adding rod holders and anchors etc. Not too worried about that at the moment, I plan to go all Scotty.
Scotty bases are the way to go, though look at the Berkely Quick-Set rod holders, especially if you flyfish.

Also fish finder and transducer mounts? flooring?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:32:57 AM »

Re -  Fishfinder;

I use the Scotty transducer mount so I can move my fishfinder from my tinny to my kayak easily.

http://scotty.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/0141_01-700x700.jpg

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 04:53:19 PM »

Thanks firstlight. When the time comes to buy anchor rope I certainly will.

Scotty bases are the way to go, though look at the Berkely Quick-Set rod holders, especially if you flyfish.

Also fish finder and transducer mounts? flooring?

I checked out the Berkley rod holders. Ya they look decent. If they are not compatible (male to female end connection) with Scotty accessories would probably give them a miss though.

Until I get the holders sorted out I'll probably just roll with these for a bit. Used them for many years on our old boat. They are actually pretty decent!!

http://www.down-east.com/downeast/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=127

For fish finder I have a 5 or so year old Hummingbird Fishbuddy or whatever it's called. The color one. It's awesome!! You do have to take it out of the mount when cruising or else it will climb up and flop all over the place. However it is great for trolling or anchored up. I carry an extra set of rechargeable AA batteries in case the ones in it croak on the water. Ya a standard FF where the transducer mounts on the transom would have some advantages, however cost/benifet I like the fishing buddy. No 12V battery to worry about. No wires running around the boat, etc. In our river boat we run a Helix 5 sonar/GPS and I quite like it. For the lakes the Fishing Buddy works quite well.

As for flooring ya maybe down the road I'll consider that. For now the main priority will be seats followed by Scotty accessories.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »

I checked out the Berkley rod holders. Ya they look decent. If they are not compatible (male to female end connection) with Scotty accessories would probably give them a miss though.
The Berkley holders do work in regular Scotty mounts though the fit is a bit looser.

RG

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »

Anybody know how they're mounting those oars on the Spratley exterior?  Been thinking of doing something like that too.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »

They are pieces of aluminum that go over the gunnel that you rest the oars in.

see for example: https://twitter.com/FredsTackle/status/868569274067046400

Been thinking about trying to jury-rig something similar for my own jon (non-Spratley) boat

RG

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:53:32 PM »

They are pieces of aluminum that go over the gunnel that you rest the oars in.

see for example: https://twitter.com/FredsTackle/status/868569274067046400

Been thinking about trying to jury-rig something similar for my own jon (non-Spratley) boat

Yes!  Perfect, totally doing something similar.  Thanks.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »

firstlight's anchor ropes: Best in Quality and Price
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:30:22 PM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »

Yes!  Perfect, totally doing something similar.  Thanks.
Post a pic if you come up with something good. I'm sure lots would be interested in seeing your solution.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 04:32:36 PM »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 04:35:38 PM by Spawn Sack »