Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Fish  (Read 2098 times)

fullahead

Big Fish
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:36:31 AM »

Big fish
Yesterday was a good day. Decided to ditch the dog roe for a while, and go back on the jigs. Released a nice 8 pound wild doe in the morning.
Around 1200 everyone had gone, it was raining, three canoes had just gone through the run that can be a good thing. We will go through the run one more time.
The float goes down, but this time it takes a really good run, this is a big fish.
I am not going to get excited and just enjoy this.
Let’s talk about hooks, I have bought hook from the east coast, and lost some big fish because the wire is too small.
I only trust Bent Rods hooks because they will not break!
I have a 3106 rod at home, but today I am fishing with a 13 foot Rainshadow, noodle rod, so the leader is not parting.
The leader is 12 inches long, from the weight to the float, is 6 inches, short floating jigs, he’s hook good.
A fellow game along and said do you want a hand, thanks. Do you want to take a picture, I can’t get my hand around the tail? I said thanks but no I want to release, this wild buck quickly.
A good day , will it happen again today?
have fun out there.

iblly

• Old Timer
Re: Big Fish
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:00:56 AM »

Nice story. Gotta love a two fish day. I had a similar story New Years Eve day. I hooked a bigger fish 20 minutes into my day, never saw it because it spit the hook. Felt large marge though. Less than half hour later hooked and bonked one of those 6 pounders a lot of people are seeing. Two fish day this year sounds rare.