Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin shoulder  (Read 5910 times)

Jk47

Centerpin shoulder
« on: March 05, 2018, 05:32:20 PM »

So I’ve been in excruciating pain when I fish, and I assume it’s either an old injury that just won’t heal (torn rotator) but I just thought I’d throw it out there. I’ve asked buddies that fish pins and no one else seems to experience this. I’ve had my family doc check out my shoulder and he says I’m getting old and this is what happens, if it hurts...don’t fish. It’s not that simple. It’s kind of an addiction, a few of you know what I’m talking about  ;D
It’s my 3rd year using a pin and this has only been an issue for the past few months of this Steelhead season. I use a B.C. Swing cast that I’ve now had to modify (to alleviate some of the pain), with my free (reel) hand placed on the upper cork during the swing to load the rod instead of my shoulder taking the entire  load. It only helps a bit though and just the weight of the rod waiting for a hook set during the drift (not a heavy set-up) even gets to be painful by the end of the day. Not really looking for advice lol (although it’s welcome) as much as just wondering if it’s just me or ANYONE ELSE?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:49:23 PM by Jk47 »

mikeyman

Re: Centerpin shoulder
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »

A bit sore. More wrist or elbow. Back from walking/standing wearing vest. Go back to a level wind for those days get sore. Easier retrieve. I get more sore during salmon. More hook ups. Then carry your catch out. Try bar fish for or still water. Or trolling in a boat. If needing to get out but feeling sore. Grab a chair and your own spot in the canal. Plunk some roe or a bug.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »

Have you considered using your other arm to cast and drift? You'll probably get used to it surprisingly fast.

Or use your off-hand to support more of the rod weight during the drift?

Jk47

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:13:14 PM »

Grab a chair and your own spot in the canal. Plunk some roe or a bug.
I do fish a couple other systems this way a bit but love the flow and can’t stay away from it for too long, and I detest level winds so no lol.
Have you considered using your other arm to cast and drift? You'll probably get used to it surprisingly fast.
Or use your off-hand to support more of the rod weight during the drift?
I was wondering how long it would take to get used to it, I’m not sure it seems like it would be hard. And ya, I do use my off hand to support the drift, as well as dropping the rod all together like a spey swing, but the latter lends to a rather sloppy drift I find.
This brings me to add that I HAVE recently tried fishing my 8 wt (it usually sits aside mostly for steelhead season, but gets all my coho and pinks plus a lot of chums and springs too)
I’ve just never been able to catch a steel on the fly, so I use what works. But casting that with my sore shoulder is no problem, especially when I adopt a Spey style cast. Seems to be the whole swing of the c.p. cast that aggravates my rotator cuff.
Maybe I’ll just fly fish, sell my pin set up for a down payment on a Spey rod  ;D

dave c

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 10:09:17 PM »

Jk47.  I myself went through pain in both shoulders a few years back.  Due to a battering they took as a goaltender growing up. It got so bad I couldn't put a jacket on or flip a light switch without excruciating pain.  I ended up getting cortisone shots in both shoulders.  I religiously take glucosamine sulfate.  Everything is fine now.

Jk47

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:44:37 PM »

Cortisone... hmmmm...I’ll ask the doc thanks Dave. And ya I used to take glucosamine years ago and then ‘they’ came out and said it didn’t work.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 12:21:16 AM »

No, but I get problems when I fish too long at a go. My baitcaster trigger style rods cuts off the circulation in my right hand, and now my fingers go numb very quickly.

We're not built to do the same motions over and over again. Repetitive Strain Injuries...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 08:16:05 AM »

I have much success with such issues via physiotherapy. If you haven't then give it a try. With physio you have to do the exercises as directed,religiously. Other options include massage therapy and acupuncture. My Dr always says anything is worth a shot but if you don't notice an improvement after a few treatments, it probably won't work. Casting with your off hand/arm is another approach as is stopping to rest your arm on a regular basis during a day on the water.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:16:44 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 08:27:20 AM »

Don’t hate on the baitcaster it’s better then spending time at home. I was going to post pretty much what Ralph did but he beat me to it. Physio has saved me arse a few times.
If it’s that bad re line your reel for lefty and fish that way for awhile. It doesn’t take long to get used to it. Growing up a lefty I learned to fight fish on a right handed rod being passed from my dad.

Jk47

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 07:22:29 AM »

Thanks guys, if it persists I’ll attempt turning my reel around... I just don’t have a lot of faith that my dumb meat hooks on my left hand could possibly get along and coordinate enough to feather a drift! I guess there’s only one way to find out! In the meantime Ill talk to doc about physio, tight lines!

banx

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 10:01:08 AM »

physio will help..... you can always leave the center pin at home and start chucking spoons.  blasphemous? possibly  ;)

wookie

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 10:51:33 AM »

Hey Pal I can relate. I've had two shoulder surgeries and know the pain.  I often cast my Pin with two hands now with a similar hand alignment to how I would a spinning rod.....just with a lot more grace.  I stilll have most of the "swing" in it, but both hands on the rod spreads the pressure out.  Basically I have switched the position of my dominant arm from a backhand "swing" cast to a forward motion along with my other hand below the reel to ease the strain.  Its pretty easy to do once you get the mechanics down.

Jk47

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »

you can always leave the center pin at home and start chucking spoons.  blasphemous? possibly  ;)
Like I said, I do a fair amount of fly fishing and already have an interest in Spey, have been practicing Spey casts with my single hand, and predict that over time I may end up fly fishing ONLY, weather it be single or two handed. I fished spoons for years and haven’t bought another spin rod since my last one snapped on a fish, as I was already fishing flies and C.P more than spin at that point anyways. I tie my own flies and find it, for one - way cheaper to buy a few tying materials every once in awhile rather than forking out dough for spoons all the time. Not a fan of all the garbage some spoon fishers leave riverside, either!
Its pretty easy to do once you get the mechanics down.
Yeah, even since I posted this, the couple times ive been out I’ve really gotten used to this two handed cast and drift and it has been helping. Especially being mindful to do it right from the start of the day instead of waiting till my shoulder starts really hurting
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:29:03 PM by Jk47 »

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »

What type of set up you use.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Jk47

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 10:20:17 AM »

What type of set up you use.
Rod, I fished across from you (with Tyler) a couple days ago above the crossing. It’s a cheap set-up, but I don’t think overly heavy? - Shimano convergence and a 4-1/2” matrix pin. It’s never bothered me in the past, so I think I must have tweaked my shoulder over Christmas or something and it just didn’t bother me much until steelhead season was in full swing.