Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking of switching to a vest...  (Read 5828 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Thinking of switching to a vest...
« on: February 09, 2018, 09:38:52 AM »

As much as I like the voluminous capacity of my fishing jacket, there are some things I find really annoying.

Mostly the way it bunches tight around the waist. I always feel cold around the waist, like when your shirt's untucked. And the way the sleeve Velcro always catches on the upper pocket Velcro when doing stuff, and the way you lose built up heat anytime you need something from the inside pocket. And the way that it's way too much in warm weather so I end up just carrying it.

So I'm thinking of getting a vest with the same amount of carry space, and a high quality rain coat that goes further towards the knees.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the pros and cons of one vs the other set up...

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Thinking of switching to a vest...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:45:17 AM »

Waterproof sling. Stays out of the way when you need it. Doesn't interfere with casting (fly or gear). Doesn't pull you forward.
A long rain coat is a hazard if you are wading above your knees. I like a short jacket.

4TheKids

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »

Yup. I like my sling. I do not like my long rain coat. Its days are numbered.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »

Slings and packs are nice for a short catch and release outings but for basically everything else they suck. Not big enough to hold lunch, extra clothing or fish. Its especially a pain to carry limits of fish a long ways but with a vest its very easy, the big back pocket carries anything I need, including limits of coho and springs. Ive had over 40lbs of fish in it and it has broken yet.
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

sbc hris

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 02:28:57 PM »

Slings and packs are nice for a short catch and release outings but for basically everything else they suck. Not big enough to hold lunch, extra clothing or fish. Its especially a pain to carry limits of fish a long ways but with a vest its very easy, the big back pocket carries anything I need, including limits of coho and springs. Ive had over 40lbs of fish in it and it has broken yet.
Completely agree. I’ve always used a vest, and can’t see a good reason to change. On top of all of my terminal tackle for river fishing, mine is also usually stuffed with: a container of roe, 1 litre of water, big can of bear spray, full lunch, sometimes a jacket or sweater, and with any luck a fish or 4 on top of it all. I can access everything without taking the vest off. Do I look super trendy? No. Do I care? No...
I have a cheaper hip pack for shorter/simpler/trendier days.

clarki

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »

Having been fly fishing for 36+ years I am pretty much stuck on the use of a vest. I prefer shorty vests that don't get soaked during deep wading. I have a hip pouch/pack that can also be used as a shoulder patch. I find it cumbersome & it carries very little. It mostly gets used for gear fishing when I leave the fly tackle in the car or at home.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:04:23 PM »

Having been fly fishing for 36+ years I am pretty much stuck on the use of a vest. I prefer shorty vests that don't get soaked during deep wading. I have a hip pouch/pack that can also be used as a shoulder patch. I find it cumbersome & it carries very little. It mostly gets used for gear fishing when I leave the fly tackle in the car or at home.

How do you deal with soaking wet vest after fishing in the rain?
Sling causes shoulder pain. best is hip bag.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 07:20:41 PM »

Thanks,

I've already come to the conclusion that I am no longer avid enough to wade much above my knees, so not too worried about a longer jacket. I can't handle all the weight on one shoulder so a sling is out. I've got a dedicated chest pack but found it to be in the way a lot.

I do wonder though about all your stuff gettting totally rained on as well...

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 09:01:42 PM »

I got a vest last year and have loved the pocket space. Sure everything gets wet in the rain but what are you carrying in your vest that can't get wet? You can always get a small drybag from MEC if there's anything that needs extra protection.

FWIW some Goretex shells are a little longer in the back and help keep the wind out. I splurged on an Arcteryx one a couple years back and the extra length in the back is a great feature (I'm 6'3") to keep you insulated.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 10:24:51 PM »

Yeah it's the small of the back and hips that always feels cold...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 11:11:49 PM »

I wear my rain coat over my vest. Sure I look at little bulky but everything stays dry

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 08:26:04 AM »

Sling causes shoulder pain. best is hip bag.

what's to cope with - I hang it up at the end of the day. Dry by the morning. Putting the jacket over it sort of defeats the purpose by making access to stuff more difficult.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

John Revolver

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »

I am assuming you are talking about a Vedder vest?  I like those huge easy access pockets they can offer. Thats about it though.

3years ago I scrimped and saved and purchased a Simms g4pro jacket. Its the best piece of equipment I have ever invested in. It Fits all of my gear,huge back pocket for water,lunch,gear and its water tight in downpours as long as the pockets are fully zipped. If the pockets are not fully zipped they can collect water very fast.

I view it as a safety piece too.  I've taken a couple slips and dips into the river and with the jacket slightly cinched at the waist it prevents water from seeping in and it puffs up to give me some floatation. Super comfortable.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 12:50:35 PM »

More thinking of the vests that are mostly mesh...I don't generally catch enough fish to need to worry about how I haul them around. Garbage bags seem to suffice so far...