Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Washington state rivers steelhead fishing  (Read 5213 times)

Silex-user

Washington state rivers steelhead fishing
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:10:54 PM »

I though I gave FWR members a brief updates on my fishing report in Washington state rivers. Yesterday I caught my 3rd B-run wild steelhead about 14 lbs. Down here there  are 2 runs of winter steelheads an A-run which comes in around Nov. to Jan. and B-run starting end of Jan to April.

The A-runs tend to be on the small size 5-7 lbs and the B-runs tend to be bigger around 8 lbs to upper teens. Think about our northern cohoes that come in later and tend to be hook nose, bigger than the early runs.

I being fishing mostly the Columbia River tributaries rivers and nice thing about is there usually 3 hatchery steelheads limit. Also, there is mandatory hatchery retention. You cannot not release the hatchery steehead you catch. I only so far caught 2 hatchery steelheads in  one day outings so far this season (A-run)

There lots of rivers for me fished from in 2 hours drive from King County where I stay. But I only fished 3 rivers because there are little more bank access. My favorite month to fish here is April because there still some late B-run steelheads and also the summer run steelheads start to show up. A bonus is the start of the Springer (American term for Spring chinook)runs beginning in late March into June in the rivers where I fish for steelheads.

One comment I get a lot is "are you fly fishing" from fishermen down here. No, I am using center pin reel, drift rod and float fishing method. Lots guys down here used spinning reel and rods.

I gave more update reports next time if  you readers are interested.

I still missed fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder river because that where I learned to fish for steelheads close to 40 years ago.

Silex user
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:34:43 AM by Silex-user »

lapa

Re: Washington state rivers steelhead fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:43:14 PM »

Thanks a lot for report.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:47:19 PM »

8) 8) 8) Thanks!!!

It ain't the roe bro'

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »

I though I gave FWR members a brief updates on my fishing report in Washington state rivers. Yesterday I caught my 3rd B-run wild steelhead about 14 lbs. Down here there  are 2 runs of winter steelheads an A-run which comes in around Nov. to Jan. and B-run starting end of Jan to April.

Regarding the A & B runs, I wonder if are they distinct populations, or do they interbreed. I thought steelhead sometimes hang out in the rivers for quite some time before spawning.

One comment I get a lot is "are you fly fishing" from fishermen down here. No, I am using center pin reel, drift rod and float fishing method. Lots guys down here used spinning reel and rods.

Not a lot of drift fishers down there? What's the most common method for steelheading?

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:10:52 AM »

Thanks SU. Can you tell us more about the differences between methods of LM and US west coast?

Silex-user

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »

One the Wa. Southwest river I fishing a lot is the Kalama river. The upper section up to boundary hole is like cross between Chehalis river canyon and mid section section of Chilliwack river. U.S fisherman here tend to b.bing a lot. There are some guys bobber fished. The guys in drift boats I see in lower river used plug fishing, bobber doggin or b.bing. I do see some them bar fished or plunking in deep runs.

The first time I fished this river I hired a guide and 70% of time we used plugs like Mag Lip size 4/0 with 2 treble barb less hooks. It legal with 2 barb less hooks. Other 20% setup is using  coon shrimp/spin glo comb. with trailing double barb less hook and finally last method was he handed me a short spinning rod to b.bing with roe.

The guide would not let me used my float rod because he said it not fair to other paying customer newbie fisherman I am with. I never even got bite but the newbie got A-run hatchery steelhead about 6lbs on plug lure.

The fishing pressure on this river is pretty scarce the most bank fisherman I encounter is maybe 7 then again I don't fished on weekends. Plus there are lots of other rivers around within 1 hours driving distance from this river.

Silex user