Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thinking of switching to a vest...  (Read 5825 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Thinking of switching to a vest...
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »

Putting the jacket over it sort of defeats the purpose by making access to stuff more difficult.
I suppose if you weren't catching fish and/or didn't have confidence in your gear then yes, it would make access to stuff more difficult :)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 06:14:11 PM »

Vest only for me. Put my catch in the large back pocket and hike out of my spots without drawing any attention to where I been catching them. Everything I need is easy to access including my lunch and flask to keep me warm. Wear a Simms jacket underneath to keep dry.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »

my hemo's and my sharpening tool are pinned to my vest - essential stuff for touching up hooks and pulling them out of toothy fish jaws
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »

my hemo's and my sharpening tool are pinned to my vest - essential stuff for touching up hooks and pulling them out of toothy fish jaws
Awesome comeback! :)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »

To each their own. I say go to Cabela's or BassPro or wherever and try a bunch on and buy one you like. Try it out for a year or whatever and if you don't like it sell it.

Personally I tried the vest for a year or so and hated it. Didn't like how most of the weight was in the front. Gave me a sore back. It just generally felt bulky and uncomfortable. Also since the vest is not waterproof if fishing in the rain all your little containers of this and that are wet on the outside, and when you get home the vest is soaked and needs to be dried out. On the plus side I did like all the cargo room and as others have stated if you get the kind with the big pocket in the back you can stuff several fish in there and it's easy to carry compared to in your hand(s) while trying to carry your rod as well.

The system that works for me is a good fishing jacket with lot of pockets. I have a Simms G3 Guide. In the big rear pocket are all my garbage bags and zip locks bags for transporting fish and roe from a fresh kill. In the front cargo pockets I keep bait in one pocket and water bottle in the other. I have one of those Platapus water bottles that is like a water bladder (500ml). It's nice as it folds up flat when empty. If it's a hot day and I think I'll need more than 500ml of water I'll wear a small camel back pack that holds a 2L bladder. Phone and a bit of other small gear goes in inside jacket pocket or front pocket on my waders.

All of my other crap goes in a water proof waist pack. I have the Patagonia Stormfront. Mine is an older model and does not have the extra exterior zipper pocket. Good things about the pack are it's 100% water proof and submergible. Everything stays bone dry. It's also comfortable and you don't really even notice you are wearing it. Down sides are I have mine fairly full and sometimes it's hard to find what you're looking for! It does not have much for internal organization. I have thought about buying a non waterproof one with more pockets/compartments for fair weather fishing but have never bothered to shop for one. The hip pack does force you to go through your gear and think what do I REALLY need to bring for a day on the river.

I don't carry much food on me. Usually just some small high energy food. Jerky and cheese, mixed nuts, power bar, etc. I try and have a good breakfast and get by nibbling throughout the day. Typically if the fishing is good I'll forget to eat and/or drink water lol!!!!

By all means try a vest but I would buy in store and make sure you like the fit.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »

Do you enjoy wearing your G3 jacket when it's over 90 degrees out?

One of the secrets of going fishing is only carrying the stuff you need. It's a skill I am still developing. I've talked to some fly guys who just carry a box of flies, some tippet, a nipper and a sharpening tool. All fits in the wader pocket.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:18:09 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.