Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Parking Along Ballam Road In Chilliwack  (Read 3775 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Parking Along Ballam Road In Chilliwack
« on: January 26, 2018, 07:05:07 PM »

Dean Werk the president of the FRaser Valley Salmon Society and I met with the City of Chilliwack to create some parking along the Fraser River. Thanks also to Sandy Richie who got the ball rolling on this as the guard rail that was put in did not leave much room for those that fish this area, bird watchers, walkers etc. to park. Hopefully this will not lead to more garbage dumping. The FVSS will be keeping a eye on this. Construction stated right after our meeting.

here is a video I filmed of DEan talking about the project. https://youtu.be/kMnKBEqMzF4

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Parking Along Ballam Road In Chilliwack
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »

The river looks so small this time. Is this a good cuttie location?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 03:56:27 AM »

Thi is called Minto channel, only part of the Fraser River. All areas like this can hold trout.

tim3500

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 03:34:58 PM »

Usually I don't reply to the threads but u can't hold off on this  . I have lived in the Chilliwack for 15 years and have seen the reasons why the city has taken the actions they have no different than doing the same on the Vedder . A small user group that makes people make decisions that effect the majority sad but true reopening these area will just bring the problem back unless there's security at a cost to the public  again .Maybe explore a central parking area away from the blocks and road instead of parking on the road much the same as they did on the Vedder not ideal but better than moving the blocks to give the loosers room to dump again  maybe look into using the cement plant were the gravel piles are and install a proper walk to access the Minto parking on the side of the road is not going to work and unsafe !

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 04:08:22 PM »

So much at play in this province! Costs of running transfer stations and what you can and can’t bring / recycle at certain ones. Guess some individuals have concluded too think it is easier to dump and forget about it at a big cost to the environment!

Prisoners used in years past as chain gang clean up crews along hyw’s parks and rivers gone as unions would complain that it was taking jobs away from the communities, that never existed!

Some pigs will always be pigs! Nothing could solve this problem. French fries short of a happy meal!

Good work Chris for trying to make a difference!

I could go on and on!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »

You can’t post anything anymore without it being totally ripped apart by contrarian posts. Always abillion reason on why not to do something.

Thanks to thoes who get off their butts and actually make a difference out their.

Thanks Chris and others who put words into actions

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »

Prisoners used in years past as chain gang clean up crews along hyw’s parks and rivers gone as unions would complain that it was taking jobs away from the communities, that never existed!

still do - they just aren't chained together anymore ... just keep a look out & you'll see them.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 07:27:25 AM »

This is a good initiative. More authorized parking access to the Fraser is always needed - even if it's just a few spots. This is a massive river with such limited parking access. Now we just need salmon to return and Rec angling opening and we'll be all good again.

I would also be nice if there was more place to fish from along this stretch during salmon season. When the channel is full, it's too high up that steep bank and becomes dangerous.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 10:19:37 AM »

Great idea Dean and Sandy . What I would really like to know , Where did you find that sweater Dean I want me one .  ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."