Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Algonquin Rod  (Read 11671 times)

fishingwithjohn

Algonquin Rod
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:09:34 AM »

From my research this appears to be a vintage rod and this is the only blurb I could find on it:

"9ft Fenwick, 2 piece graphite rod, with Algonquin tube. Made in Canada by Algonquin. Label on rod indicates: Model no. FF9011, Item: T12-798, Length: 9ft, Weight: 4 3/4 ounce, Line size: AFTMA 11." (Sticker on my rod does not have this information but the photo is identical)

I am very green when it comes to fly fishing and am wondering what corresponding Reel/Line weight would be ideal for this rod...any other information on the rod itself would be much appreciated and I thank you guys for any information thrown my way!

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Algonquin Rod
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »

Looks like a 9 foot 11wt fly rod.
Not much you can use it for around here. Some guys use crazy heavy fly rods for trolling in the salt - maybe that's what it was for.

ByteMe

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »

Yes, it is an old vintage rod. but I think it's fiberglass , not graphite??? I have the FF909 Algonquin in a 9wt. You may want to get a heavier reel to balance the rod as it is quite heavy after a couple hours of fishing. As for lines, they will cast anything from a 9-11WF as the rod is very soft. I would opt for one of the OPST Commando heads myself
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 12:17:51 AM »

My first broken rod is a Algonquin Rod. Bought the second hand rod from a guy for$70. snagged a pink salmon in the first cast and boom, the 2 piece rod became a 3 piece rod.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:09:42 AM »

I found this on NovaScotiaFishing.com:

Hi, I know a bit about the Algonquin-Blanchard Tackle Co. My grandfather, Gordon Blanchard Sr. started the company in 1946, it was called The Blanchard Co., in 1961 it was sold to an american co. and the name Algonquin-Blanchard was born. My Dad Gordon Blanchard Jr, stayed on and designed all the rods. To Pictou County Angler I believe that your rod was made in the seventies. I have some of my dad's Algonquin catalogues, but not all. He died 1998, otherwise I would ask him. Tell me what color your rod is, and did it have a cork, or foam grip. My grandfather designed the Willowleaf Lures, and had the press for them. I have some still on the original cards. The company was sold to Daiwa I believe in the early eighties where they then closed it up. They didn't want any other competition here in Canada.

it appears Diawa still markets an Algonguin line of fly rods: http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/algonquin_a_fly/index.html
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »

I should probably take it in to confirm...It doesn't feel as heavy as the blurb may have it seem, its actually fairly light in the hand and yes, I have seen that forum but too bad it was so long ago.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »

I should probably take it in to confirm...It doesn't feel as heavy as the blurb may have it seem, its actually fairly light in the hand and yes, I have seen that forum but too bad it was so long ago.
4.75oz is a club for a fly rod. If it doesn't cast you can always bash them over the head.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »

There is no real $ value in this rod and technology has rendered this rod less than desirable.

Personally, I would just toss out the rod - it just won't be nice to use anymore. it will be so stout that you could really take the eyes off the bottom section and make it a wading staff.

You would get more enjoyment out of an inexpensive WalMart or Can Tire built on current materials.

Sorry.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »

people should keep in mind the word 'vintage' is so over used it is meaningless. "Antique" has a meaning. Vintage means it's old but but not old enough to be antique. Ninety percent (or more) of  old and antique rods have minimal value.

The rod may have some use to you - as someone suggested it may make a good trolling rod. It could also be a serviceable bar fishing rod. Possibilities are endless.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 03:11:12 PM »

Exactly!

I dont know what some of ya'll were thinking but in no way did I imply I was looking for some 'pickers' goldmine advice...I wanted to see if I could use the rod with an appropriate reel/line combo. Its just one item out of a warchest of old stuff my father has. 'Vintage' has many meanings across generations and subcultures but I like to use it for odd things before my time as many of us do. (No sticker or markings indicate a date either)

Thanks to everyone for the input...Its a long flimsy thing (specs could be another rod) but I can learn off it and maybe fight some chums next year...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:15:55 PM by fishingwithjohn »

ByteMe

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 11:02:09 AM »

Yes you can use the rod........I fish my glass and boo fly rods, both SH and spey 90% of the time. Don't let the hype of $1000 Sage rods and reels get to you as the fish won't know whether you have a Simms jacket on or fishing with an older rod..........just line it and have fun ;)
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »

Exactly!

I dont know what some of ya'll were thinking but in no way did I imply I was looking for some 'pickers' goldmine advice...I wanted to see if I could use the rod with an appropriate reel/line combo. Its just one item out of a warchest of old stuff my father has. 'Vintage' has many meanings across generations and subcultures but I like to use it for odd things before my time as many of us do. (No sticker or markings indicate a date either)

Thanks to everyone for the input...Its a long flimsy thing (specs could be another rod) but I can learn off it and maybe fight some chums next year...

Well I'm glad it has some sentimental value to you and that of course, would be good enough reason to give the rod a go. Look around for a bargain bin line suitable for that big stick. Post in the classified, someone might have a heavy old line and a big reel lying around that they might give you. At least to give it a try and see if this is actually a rod you'll use again. I suspect that rod is from the early to mid Seventies.