Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon/Steelhead fly line help  (Read 11229 times)

OHMYJOSH

Salmon/Steelhead fly line help
« on: January 17, 2018, 07:20:52 AM »

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to fly fishing but have been gear fishing for years.  I've done some lake fishing/small rivers on my 6wt…

I've talking about wanting to fish for Salmon/Steel on the fly and then I received a single hand 8wt reel and rod setup for christmas but I do not have a line on the reel.

A few buddies have told to get the Rio versitip II.  Thoughts on the Rio Salmon/steelhead line?  I don’t want to break the bank on line but i don't want to get a crappy line setup either.

i would only do fresh water with this setup.

Any help would be great. thanks!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:22:31 AM by OHMYJOSH »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Salmon/Steelhead fly line help
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »

I have a Rio Versitip, well 3 actually. They are expensive these days at $200+ but with 4 tips(from float to type 6) they cover pretty much everything. Not to everyone's liking as the loop to loop join will often bump through the guides at the end of your retrieve & fool you into thinking you have a strike. The current version doesn't come with a clear intermediate tip which is basically considered a requirement for river fishing coho around here so that will set you back another $25 to $30 or more come next fall.

Overall people are moving away from loop to loop tips for single handed rods and towards versi or poly leaders that will loop onto the end of your floating line and are easy to cast. The come in many sink rates and in lengths from 8 to 15 feet. Buy what you need which might be just 2. They are a bit cheaper than the versitips but may not last as long as the versitips which are just about indestructible - some of mine must be 20 years old.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

OHMYJOSH

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:29:43 PM »

Thanks Ralph.  any suggestions for a line other than the versi?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:08:56 AM »

It's hard to advise on a line without knowing what your casting ability or budget is. A lot of lines are now designed heavier than their line class and you'll need advice what lines will work with the rod. For entry level casters heavier lines often help with the learning curve.

Scientific Anglers & Rio make great lines and SA has some lower priced lines that get good reviews from users.

I suggest you go to a good shop that can help you with your specific needs. You should talk with an experienced fly fisher who is familiar with what's on the market right now. I can recommend Michael and Young - at either of their locations. One good thing about them is if you buy a line they will usually load backing on your reel as part of the sale.

While the activity on this board has declined lately you might also see if some other folks chime in.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:01:51 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

OHMYJOSH

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »

Thanks again Ralph. 
i would classify myself as a beginner for sure.  i really appreciate the help.  i'll make it to M&Y one day..   i'd rather be on the river than at a shop so that takes my free time... when i have it.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:12:15 PM »

... any suggestions for a line other than the versi?
Actually RalphH also suggested a floating line.

If you go with the versitip and assuming you want to fish the VC now you will also need a T-11 and a T-14, both in 10'-11'.  But even with all these tips your odds of catching is low.  The VC is not a fly friendly flow, a fast river for the most part and way too much competition............yeah some guys do get them 'consistently' but they are few and far between.

You said you have been gear fishing for years so you know where to look for them.  Why not try nymphing for them with a floating line and a weighted fly?  It's a short-line game and you seldom need to cast more than 35'.  Swinging a fly is exciting and a lot of fun but if you want to catch fish try nymphing and stay away from the crowds.
It ain't the roe bro'

OHMYJOSH

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:54:56 AM »

Thanks bigsnag.  I would mainly be on the VC, but i really want to explore more water.  Another person told me if i was fishing the VC to try out an outbound short and just get different sink tips..

yeah you're right i wouldn't be casting more than 35'..maybe ill try the nymphing!  i'm not a fan of the crowds i stay away as much as i can!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 10:30:30 AM »

An outbound and tips would be a good approach. Again though I'd talk to a knowledgeable person at a good tackle shop to get a good match to your rod. The Outbound #8 head is over 300grains while the AFTMA standard for a #8 line is 210.

You might also consider single handed spey lines. These can also be cast overhead.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:33:14 AM by RalphH »

ByteMe

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:43:22 AM »

This is a very interesting article by Jeff Putnam, it actually works quite well

https://www.rioproducts.com/learn/the-steelhead-swing-how-deep-
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

OHMYJOSH

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 05:08:02 AM »

thanks for the help guys!  i'm hoping to make it to M&Y or Freds sometime this week.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 12:14:57 AM »

a heavy 8wt floating line in Vedder.

Animal Chin

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 01:27:39 PM »

I'd second or third Michael and Young. I've only been to the Broadway location and don't have a lot of fly fishing experience, but you may want to look into and ask around about the Wulff Ambush line and see if it's suitable for your needs.

I like using it, but like I said I don't have a lot of experience with lines. Sometimes it does feel like my rod is a bit overloaded, but on the other hand it is really easy to cast 40-60 feet and I have no problems with 10 ft type 3 polyleaders (... or the super fast sinking one, think it's a type 3...heaviest I've used so far). And I'm no pro at casting.

OHMYJOSH

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 05:02:56 AM »

Thanks psd1179 & Animal Chin.   I was gonna hit up the M&Y on Friday but if the river keeps dropping i'm hitting up the river!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 09:04:05 PM »

the SA SBT is another alternative. Casts like missile & is a mid priced line.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 10:57:05 PM »

the SA SBT is another alternative. Casts like missile & is a mid priced line.
Do you have this line RalphH?  What is the line control like with say 50' of line out? Thanks
It ain't the roe bro'