Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Devil's Lake in Mission  (Read 6477 times)

Seahawk

Devil's Lake in Mission
« on: January 16, 2018, 08:29:16 PM »

Hi

I was thinking of trying out Devil's Lake in Mission. Has anyone ever been there and tried the fishing?  Any tips or ideas about the place.  Please let me know as my son and I are looking forward to it.

Thanks, any information would be welcome

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Devil's Lake in Mission
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »

Yes I have a few times but not for many years.

Have you been there? It's a steep drop to the water on the south end where there is some even ground. The rest of the shore is pretty steep & bushy and the lake drops off pretty quickly and is mostly deep. They may have improved access there. I don't know. In the past it was hard to get a boator even a float tube in there.

The lake doesn't get stocked. It has a population of wild cutthroat and the usual Fraser Valley population of coarse fish, pike minnows, sculpins etc.

Maybe you just want to make a bit of a scouting trip and check it out?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »

I take my FatCat out there once a year. I fished it religiously when I lived in Maple Ridge. The Cutthroat population is decent. Not huge nor small. The South bay by the outflow creek, east side and North side produce. The Cutthroat like to stick close to the shoreline. Bring a float tube, green wooly bugger. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:32:45 AM by Hike_and_fish »

don_stevo

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »

I fished it a few months back, like Ralph said access is a little challenging.  You can fish from shore at the west end by the trail, but a float tube or canoe would be much better.  I lugged a canoe in with a friend, it's tough but doable.

Fishing is spotty but it's a very nice lake.  There is still a small population of wild cutthroat... at least for now.  There are bass in this lake now, my friend caught a 4"-5" one on the fly.  Very disappointing to see as I had never heard of bass here before.  Hopefully they don't establish a significant population.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »

Haven't fished it for years, but when I went there once in March it was iced over.

It's a small'ish lake tucked down low, so it might be iced over when other local lakes aren't.

Edit: actually it was late Feb, not March. Just checked my journal. Feb 27, 1993 to be precise. It was almost March! :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:57:24 PM by clarki »

poper

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »

Fishing at devils isn’t very good I think, but nice area to be out on the lake, if your drive up the road more there’s sayres lake and Morgan, I have had better luck fishing on these lakes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:05:56 AM by poper »