Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Stave River...public access?  (Read 5196 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Upper Stave River...public access?
« on: January 08, 2018, 06:10:06 AM »

Greetings and happy new year to all...

I saw a cool video on YouTube of a plane flying along the upper Stave, up above even the lake.

The video seemed to show a road following the river. I google earthed it and it seems there is a road leading way up into the hills. Does anyone know if it's public access, or anything else about it? Looks like a fun drive into the sticks, and possibly try to find some trout flyfishing.

Sorry this is not 100% fishing related...

poper

Re: Upper Stave River...public access?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:03:12 AM »

There’s logging roads at the end of the lake, but you need a boat to get your quad or motorcycle in,there’s trucks parked by we’re you can dock your boat, there up there for the workers, the fishing in the river is pretty good, but it’s really wild up there, and boat ride ride in is scetchy if you don’t know your way in, lots of trees just under the water.Good hunting to :).   But use caution if the wind picks up and your at the end of the lake your in trouble. Good luck

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »

Dang, I was hoping a 4x4 would do the trick...

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »

Yep, fly in, boat in, or hike in if you’re crazy enough. I’ve boated in a few times, and attempted the hike once, but failed miserably.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 02:06:24 PM »

Sounds a bit too epic for these tired old bones.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:41:46 PM »

I go up there often. Fishing , gold panning and hunting. The fishing is spotty to be honest. The upper Pitt is almost the same boat ride ( distance ) and much much better fishing. You really have to get up past 3klm on the upper Stave to get into some nice Bull Trout. The river gets too ruff for a boat around that point so you will have to park it and walk. I have seen old pictures of Kokanee spawning in Winslow Creek and heard stories of great fishing at that time but I've been up there when Kokanee are supposed to spawn and never seen a thing. The lake ( in my opinion ) is the most choppy around the pump house across to Alligator point. The narrows or the north end are not as choppy as the middle.  Three years ago we hiked into Winslow lake. The fishing was amazing but the fish are really small.

That's all I got for ya.