Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winter steelheading 101  (Read 21262 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Winter steelheading 101
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2018, 08:04:34 AM »

I have 2 people that I fish with. My old man and my brother. (My kids) Those are the only people I enjoy spending a day on the water with. We just fish and go where we go. Everything falls into place. I could NEVER fish in a large group like that. They look like they have fun, but I couldn’t do it. Sometimes on island trips we go in a group and I hate walking into a spot with a few guys and everyone try to decide who’s going to start where.

I don’t mind the one and done on the Vedder. I can see a guy who gets out twice a year and drives from Richmond how hard it would be to release that early hatch. If I want to kill one I’ll just come back tomorrow LOL. That said the chances of most fishermen catching another a fish that day are probably low odds. But then you get guys passing off rods if they do.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2018, 08:28:23 AM »

Do you guys like that 'stupid' rule of not allowing fishermen to do catch and release fishing after bonking the first steelie on the Vedder?

I'm in support; it discourages people killing their first fish.

Also, just because you've switched to C&R doesn't mean you won't inadvertently kill more fish. I remember reading on Everyday's awesome steelhead blog how he had a season where he mortally hooked a bunch of steelhead in a short period of time and felt terrible about it. As Milo (I believe) has said, fishing is a bloodsport and you need to be comfortable with killing things, either by accident or on purpose. But you can reduce the risks of killing when you don't intend to and I think that rule helps in this regard.

My two cents  ::)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »

Actually that rule of stopping fishing after you keep your hatch is probably honored at the popular and busy lower runs. In the last 3 seasons with my style of walking miles or rivers in isolated spots, I have seen guys keeping fishing while they had kept a fish. Lol. They were surprised to see me and stopped but when I got close I could see the hatch by the river's edge. Sneaky!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:19:55 PM by Steelhawk »