Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mustang MIT 100: Manual Inflate - Opinions?  (Read 2649 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Mustang MIT 100: Manual Inflate - Opinions?
« on: December 19, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »

Do any members have experience with the Mustang MIT 100 (manual)?http://www.mustangsurvival.com/en_CA/products/flotation/inflatable-pfds/m.i.t.-100-inflatable-pfd-manual-MD201502.html

It's reported to be suitable where "mobility is important such as paddling, rowing, and fly casting." I do a fair amount of rowin' and castin' in my pontoon boat so it looks like this model will work.

Curious if other members have used it for similar purposes and what you experience was.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:49:14 AM by clarki »

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Mustang MIT 100: Manual Inflate - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »

They are good, you'll likely be fine with it.  Adjustable sizing.

Usually good deals on them at the boat show if you can hold out.

I have a manual and got the automatic version for my Dad at last years' show.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »

I've got one. Went back to a vest style PFD that cost about a third of the Mustang. After a couple of tries I left it at home while bank fishing. Relative to standard PFDs the Mustang is not as easy to put on and not as comfortable. After considering the issue around manual inflation & potential unreliability of the cartridge and inflation system it just didn't add for me anymore.

Might be selling it.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Jk47

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 03:20:51 PM »

Have one. I used to wear it every now and then in my row boat fetching my crab traps but somehow the thing got triggered in the back of my van one day and I’ve never looked into recharging it. So ya, didn’t really work great for me lol. Otherwise I found it comfortable enough.

jimstone

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 04:42:48 PM »

I keep 3 MIT 100 manuals on the boat under a seat for any passengers that dont bring thier own as they are compact , easy to use and nobody complains about wearing one. I inflated one of the 100s myself in allouette lk to check it out and it worked fine for me (260 on a light day)  I use a higher inflation level Mustang vest for myself and the increase in mobility and comfort level when your fishing is worth the cost...I've seen MIT 100s go one sale for around 100

GordJ

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »

I use the autos. I got thinking about how if I fall in the water and hit my head I’d be pretty happy to wake up floating. I also have some manuals and if the numbers are enough that we have to use them I make sure that the wearer does a test run on where the tab is. It’s pretty easy to put them on inside out, which moves the tab from the right hand to the left hand. No problem dry but it may be an issue in the moment. I have had the autos for 4 or 5 years with no unintended inflation’s ( in real rain) and the only downside is that you look like dork when you forget to take it off walking to the truck, they are comfortable.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »

Note that you have to wear these inflatable vests in order for it to be "counted" on a boat.

I have a 38 series manual vest that I wear on my boat regularly.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »

I have the auto as well and as far as fit goes they are very comfortable.
The only issue I have is that I hope it opens up when needed.
Yes you have to wear it if its the only one you have but I allways keep a couple old style foam life vests on the boat and this allows me to take it off whenever I feel like it.
Yes they cost a bit more but how much is a new reel and what is it going to do for you when your life is on the line?
So yes I would recommend them hands down.
Oh you also have to replace the C02 cartridge every 5 years I think it is but they are probably under $30.00