Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squid fishery feasibility?  (Read 15254 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Squid fishery feasibility?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »

Any jurisdiction in the US does not have the public funding challenges that are faced in Canada. Those are caused by factors of population and social benefits. The population of Florida is over 20 million, that is 4 times the population of BC in less than 1/4 of the space.

Florida also has a far better tourist base than most of Canada and better ocean and shore fishing.

It's not just a matter that governments don't care - it that they fund what Canadian consider to be more socially important programs -like health care and have less money to fund luxuries such as fishing piers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »

Any jurisdiction in the US does not have the public funding challenges that are faced in Canada. Those are caused by factors of population and social benefits. The population of Florida is over 20 million, that is 4 times the population of BC in less than 1/4 of the space.

Florida also has a far better tourist base than most of Canada and better ocean and shore fishing.

It's not just a matter that governments don't care - it that they fund what Canadian consider to be more socially important programs -like health care and have less money to fund luxuries such as fishing piers.

Thank you!!! this is always overlooked!

Ambassador

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »

Like the $155,000 spent on sending a red couch around Canada for 150 this past summer? I agree we have far less tax money to play with - but our governing bodies blow a lot of money that would be far better spent on things like piers, boat ramps, and other infrastructure that benefits local society and economy.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/four-bizarre-things-governments-spent-money-on-for-canada-150/
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 12:12:17 PM »

Similar things happen in the states as well: http://www.wnd.com/2000/10/4314/

What really cracks me up is people who buy a boat and expect all tax payers to pay for launches s he can use it, or build fishing piers in a region where we don't have the sort fishery that can support it.

As stupid as it may be just how much on going maintenance $ does a red couch require compared to a boat launch or a 50 to 100 meter fishing pier? Both would be expensive to maintain.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Ambassador

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »

Similar things happen in the states as well: http://www.wnd.com/2000/10/4314/

What really cracks me up is people who buy a boat and expect all tax payers to pay for launches s he can use it, or build fishing piers in a region where we don't have the sort fishery that can support it.

As stupid as it may be just how much on going maintenance $ does a red couch require compared to a boat launch or a 50 to 100 meter fishing pier? Both would be expensive to maintain.
I think we can agree that both US and Canadian govt's need a good head shaking when it comes to misspending. Those examples in your link make that silly red couch seem like a great deal.

Ah I'm a kayaker so don't really need a launch - but know that there are plenty of people around the LM with boats that need safe and close places to launch them. Hard to think a launch would need much maintenance after it is built - and could generate decent revenue with parking fees as we see at Vanier or Macdonald Beach launches. That should cover maintenance fees and other related expenses - plus add a few bucks to the city coffers I would think.

As for piers - compare how many people use the pier at Jericho or Ambleside for fishing as opposed to just being there taking in the beauty that is our region. The point was not lost on me that we have far less to fish for from these piers (a couple one-arm crabs and maybe a dogfish). Maybe we don't need ones as bright and fancy as the ones in Florida - but I believe they add a lot more value to the areas that have them than just for fishermen.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »

Fair enough ... back to squiding!

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »

Just curious if there are any scuba divers here and if they have noticed any numbers of squid locally.

GordJ

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 01:05:07 PM »

I think we can agree that both US and Canadian govt's need a good head shaking when it comes to misspending. Those examples in your link make that silly red couch seem like a great deal.

Ah I'm a kayaker so don't really need a launch - but know that there are plenty of people around the LM with boats that need safe and close places to launch them. Hard to think a launch would need much maintenance after it is built - and could generate decent revenue with parking fees as we see at Vanier or Macdonald Beach launches. That should cover maintenance fees and other related expenses - plus add a few bucks to the city coffers I would think.

As for piers - compare how many people use the pier at Jericho or Ambleside for fishing as opposed to just being there taking in the beauty that is our region. The point was not lost on me that we have far less to fish for from these piers (a couple one-arm crabs and maybe a dogfish). Maybe we don't need ones as bright and fancy as the ones in Florida - but I believe they add a lot more value to the areas that have them than just for fishermen.
We probably have more piers per capita than Florida, they do get about 130,000,000 tourists a year so it is unfair to directly compare the two places. There are piers at every waterfront town in BC-Campbell Rivers is famous, Bella Bella’s not so much-as well as lots of boat launches all over. But I guess you are only talking about Burrard Inlet? Don’t get caught up in the “grass is greener” trap, we have it pretty good here.

Silex-user

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »

I know there is no squid swimming around White Rock pier or else there be couple hundreds people fishing for them. Plus the water in winter months is quite clear and maybe not deep enough for them. In Washington State Dash Point pier where I fished for them the water is quite murky and deep maybe 20-25 feet deep.

Silex user

Jk47

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 06:15:40 PM »

As Silex points out ; I would think that if there was a squid fishery around here anywhere we would know about it.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 10:01:14 PM »

As Silex points out ; I would think that if there was a squid fishery around here anywhere we would know about it.

... OR, is that what they WANT you to think.....  ::) :P
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

eager_rookie

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 07:30:13 PM »

Just curious if there are any scuba divers here and if they have noticed any numbers of squid locally.

I'm a diver, and have never seen one during my dives. This includes various locations in Indian arm, off the kits beaches, and on both sides of the Howe Sound. I also dive at night occasionally, and I haven't seen em then either. Seems like it would be a cool thing to encounter.

Jk47

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »

^^^This^^^

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »

Like a lot of our local marine biota - squid populations may primarily be found very deep, perhaps as deep as 1600 feet:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/squid-video-glass-cockatoo-salish-sea

Opal Squid: http://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/331769.pdf

Opal squid are primarily fished with seines in B.C., although the use of dipnets, frame nets and jigs are allowed.
Squid are attracted to the vessel at night by bright lights, and a seine set around the aggregated squid.

This paper is old ('94) but states there are spawning populations near Victoria in the Summer and in the Straight in winter.

Squid jigging near Seattle(2004): http://old.seattletimes.com/html/sports/2002106593_fish02.html

Dusty Mac

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »

Nanaimo gets some Humboldt squid.  Did a quick google and came up with this:

http://www.harbourchandler.ca/fishing-report/nanaimo-halibut-and-squid-up-date

Looks like summer time.