Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions  (Read 131430 times)

avid angler

Re: Chilliwack Steelhead conditions
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2018, 11:33:37 PM »

Hahaha is that why Peter Buck sprints out of his truck to the fishing spot whenever anyone else pulls up. Because he’s trying to beat them to nature

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2018, 12:10:08 AM »

LOL! No such thing as pressured smart steelhead! You can't catch what isn't there! The old guys are retired and have tons of time to fish the river. Young guys have to work on weekdays.This yr has seen very limited pressure so far.

I guess you sum up the reality for this year's steelhead season. The 3 fish (all under 7 lbs) derby result, the really high price of gas, and the bad rainy weather plus poor water visibility all contribute to city folks staying close at home. Many just happy to try the local close by systems just to kill time and have a date with nature. I explored the Coquitlam today in the upper reaches and fishermen were in most every good spots I stopped by. People now just go out to kill the fishing itch in winter knowing full well that the trip may most likely be skunked, even for guys fishing the Vedder. Nowadays, 'steelheading in the city' may be the in thing. Lol. We need more steelhed stocking in the Coquitlam, Alouette, Stave, perhaps even the Seymour. Lol.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:12:04 AM by Steelhawk »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2018, 08:57:52 AM »

Hahaha is that why Peter Buck sprints out of his truck to the fishing spot whenever anyone else pulls up. Because he’s trying to beat them to nature

LOL!! buck's sprinting days are behind him ;D

gg, the hatchery staff occasionally catch hatchery fish when angling for broodstock in the pool behind the hatchery but it is generally accepted that the majority of clipped fish are removed from the river before they get that far.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »

Trying to stay on topic on this thread. Needless to say the river is in poor shape when I looked at it this morning at Lickman Road, high and rising too.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2018, 09:17:33 AM »

back on topic, thanks Chris.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »

Old guys rule! Anyone see Tooth pick Tom on the river this yr?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2018, 09:19:09 AM »

Trying to stay on topic on this thread. Needless to say the river is in poor shape when I looked at it this morning at Lickman Road, high and rising too.
Get out there Chris! A couple of derby leaders weighed in yesterday!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2018, 10:22:53 AM »

Old guys rule! Anyone see Tooth pick Tom on the river this yr?
Tom has slowed down a bit but still gets out.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »

Get out there Chris! A couple of derby leaders weighed in yesterday!

That will be great news. But Fred's site still showing the current leader fish was caught on Jan 13 at 13 lbs range. Their last update was Feb 1 though and there are so many 5 or 6 pounders.

https://www.fredscustomtackle.com/derby

Folks it looks like these are the new 1-salt fish now which is a new reality for steelheaders. So that is probably why many city folks stay close by to their local systems. Think of it, you spent $30-50 on gas to drive to the Vedder, and if you are really lucky, you get to fight a fish in rainbow trout size with your steelhead rod which is an overkill for a fish of that size. There goes your memorable battle with a steelie, that 1 in a 1000 casts fish. LOL. That is probably why the fishing pressure is way down.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:04:16 AM by Steelhawk »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »

Get with the program. Chilliwack Dart and Tackles Derby. The one with a actual weigh in in Chilliwack. Some bigger fish weighed in recently. I live beside the river so it costs me nothing. And not all the fish are 5-6 pounds.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:16:47 AM by Wiseguy »

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2018, 12:09:47 PM »

LOL!! buck's sprinting days are behind him ;D

gg, the hatchery staff occasionally catch hatchery fish when angling for broodstock in the pool behind the hatchery but it is generally accepted that the majority of clipped fish are removed from the river before they get that far.
Thanks for the info Dave!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2018, 06:25:27 AM »

The brood goal will be easily reached, mark my words. From what I have seen, the majority of brood stock collectors are in the lower river, which is fine but with the higher colored water this year alot fish are racing up river. I imagine plenty of fish are past the fishing boundary quickly.
The old saying is River high fish high, river low fish low.
lets wait till the end of Feb to start worrying about this.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Jk47

« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2018, 08:01:31 AM »

I agree. And hopefully there are some frustrated newbie steelheaders that have already given up this year to keep the pressure reduced and the runs empty  ;D
Just looked at the graph. It looks ANGRY  >:(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: February 05, 2018, 10:41:40 AM »

The river is in worse shape than I have seen it for a while, no fishing for a while that's for sure.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »

The brood goal will be easily reached, mark my words. From what I have seen, the majority of brood stock collectors are in the lower river, which is fine but with the higher colored water this year alot fish are racing up river. I imagine plenty of fish are past the fishing boundary quickly.
The old saying is River high fish high, river low fish low.
lets wait till the end of Feb to start worrying about this.
I agree. Good thing Thor is camped up top again this yr catching brood stock. The fish are on the move and push through quickly.