Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinning Rod Handles  (Read 3383 times)

KarateKick

Spinning Rod Handles
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »

For a spinning rod, would you please tell me which handle you would prefer and why?

To me it looks like the higher reel seat means less casting leverage.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Spinning Rod Handles
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »

The top one looks pretty standard. This would be my choice.
The bottom one looks pretty low for a spinning rod. Looks more like where the reel would go on a 2 handed fly rod or a center pin rod - not a spin casting rod.

KarateKick

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »

Thank you Spawn Sack.  When I look at Convergence rods on the Shimano web site, they have a series with the normal handle and one model with the "Michigan Handle":

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-rods/stickbait/convergence-steelhead-spinning.html
http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-rods/stickbait/convergence-michigan-handle-spinning.html

The latter is lighter and slower.

Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »

I've got a few older Hardy's spinning rods and the longest of the bunch has a really long handle like your first image. I've tried it on the river and don't like it there - but do find it fun at the beaches when casting Buzz Bombs. You are right about casting leverage - I can send them a mile with that added butt length!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:49:24 PM »

Not sure if there is more leverage as the overall length of the handles appear to be the same.
Probably affects balance of the rod in regards to reel location.

Did a quick search on Michigan handles:
Michigan: Designed for steelhead fishing (wading), the handle has a fly grip on the front fore grip and a small four (4) inch rear grip. The Michigan handle allows an angler to utilize the vast majority of the rod without him worrying about the handle splashing in the water nor hitting him in the ribs.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »

The Michigan handle model has been discontinued by Shimano.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »

for local fishing I'd go with the shorter Michigan style fighting butt. The longer butt would just be a pain for most fishing though if you need or like to stuff the handle under your arm or stick in your belly for leverage when fighting a power fish, it would be the better style. Likewise for lots of pivot or fulcrum power on the cast. Shorter handle, lighter fishing & easier casting I think.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »

Prefer the shorter handle.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 04:29:20 PM »

I don't like either.
The top one's rear handle is too long. It will catch on your jacket when you try to move the butt from side to side (needed to change the fighting angle on a big chum).
The bottom one's front handle is too long. There's never a reason to grab the rod that high up and it just adds weight.
For a spinning rod that will typically be used in tip down configuration - as in retrieving spoons and spinners - you want the butt section to be as light as possible.
The shorter rear handle provides better leverage for long casts.
Here's what I use.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 06:44:31 AM »

I don't like either.
The top one's rear handle is too long. It will catch on your jacket when you try to move the butt from side to side (needed to change the fighting angle on a big chum).
The bottom one's front handle is too long. There's never a reason to grab the rod that high up and it just adds weight.
For a spinning rod that will typically be used in tip down configuration - as in retrieving spoons and spinners - you want the butt section to be as light as possible.
The shorter rear handle provides better leverage for long casts.
Here's what I use.

supposedly such handles are provide leverage when fighting a fish. For me I just want enough cork for a comfortable hand grip. Cork on the butt also adds weight but I am not fond of the aesthetics on the rod in the photo.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.