Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Discussion on Native illegal driftnets  (Read 9285 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Re:Discussion on Native illegal driftnets
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 11:33:49 PM »

I hear you guys on this matter, and sadly, more often than not recently....I have been feeling very remorseful about the way this country as a whole is slipping into the abyss.

What I have been seeing ont eh Fraser over the past few days while I deperately try to figure out how to Sockeye fish has depressed to a point where I feel it might be time for me to hang up the rod. I really don't want to be a part of what I am seeing there.

Good luck to you all in Sockeye season......its not like I was a threat to your fish anyway....lol.

You don't make friends with salad.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 11:34:37 PM »

[The MP in the valley is Chuck Strahl, a Neo-Conservative.  Send him the letter too. Strahl.C@parl.gc.ca

Correct address is mp@chuckstrahl.com as I got the above returned.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 11:49:28 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 11:38:30 PM »

Today while getting gas a truck with a tote of fish in the back, the interesting part it had Washington plates on it. ??? ??? ::)

Duly video taped for archives, felt like a private investigator. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2004, 11:52:29 PM »

I hear you guys on this matter, and sadly, more often than not recently....I have been feeling very remorseful about the way this country as a whole is slipping into the abyss.

What I have been seeing ont eh Fraser over the past few days while I deperately try to figure out how to Sockeye fish has depressed to a point where I feel it might be time for me to hang up the rod. I really don't want to be a part of what I am seeing there.

Good luck to you all in Sockeye season......its not like I was a threat to your fish anyway....lol.

Yes I am also after seeing what is going on out there. I am getting a little concerned the sockeye are getting hit too hard with all sectors fishing for them although the rod and reel guys are taking the fewest.

Fish Bug

• I'm Italian
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2004, 11:56:23 PM »

Rodney,
Please fire away you will have my support.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 08:47:39 AM »

This has happened very simply because if their demands are not met:

- This group of people are very willing to use violence and have done so already
- They will cost the rail lines BIG $$ if they block the tracks as it has been threatened
- A well used highway also stands to be closed

Throw in some bleeding hearts ('white guilt' as someone accurately called it) a spineless judicial process (something everyone shares at varying levels) and the FN can get away with a lot.

A whole bunch of wrongs do not make a right.  Does the fishery have to suffer because of the past?  What next?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 08:52:25 AM by 2:40 Gordie »
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 09:42:49 AM »

Really do not mean to be a devil's advocate - but is it possible the decision was reached because there is a ton of sockeye coming thru and the DFO brains just thought there was no way the nets would harm the vastness of the run? What kind of impact on the socks are we looking at. like if (for example) one net can hold 500 fish and there are 200 nets - that is a maximum of 10, 000 fish a day.  Even after 10 days that is only 100k fish at maximum - what if  3 million fish are returning. Please forgive me for my poss. crazy big numbers - but my point is the same; could the nets simpply not have a significant impact on the significantly huge run?

If my argument is true, then the nets are not that big of deal. If I'm wrong and it is a huge impact on the fish - then the local DFO chief and MPs need to be held seriously liabel and replaced asap.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 09:44:08 AM by dennisK »

Dynamite kid

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 10:04:09 AM »

Sockeye runs are historically huge,this is mother natures way of providing mass nutrients for all living things.This bullsh!t that there are too many fish on the spawning grounds is the stupidest idea I have ever heard.As humans we may feel that only a certain amount of fish need to reach the river to keep these runs healthy,I think mother nature has another plan.So as we all strive to fill our pockets with money and our freezers with fish ,we may be seeing the beginning of the end regarding the huge runs of salmon in the great Fraser river.One thing that I find ironic is people always say how brutal the decisions DFO makes are ,but when they come up with some imaginary number regarding how many fish are needed to reach the spawning grounds ,people agree whole heartedly ,as long as they can fill freezers.Whatever happened to the saying "don't catch your limit,limit your catch",or does this only apply to fish on the endangered species list.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 10:47:31 AM »

Right on Dynamite!  Who managed the stocks before DFO?  Did God let 100,000 on to the spawning grownds and strike the rest dead?