Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coho flies  (Read 1708 times)

bigsnag

coho flies
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:32 PM »

If one ask ten different fishermen about their favorite coho patterns, he will probably get 8 different answers.
This is my box and the truth is I mostly use only 1/3 of them.
SAM_9447.jpg" border="0

SAM_9448.jpg" border="0

psd1179

Re: coho flies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 06:32:03 AM »

Thanks for sharing. Awesome flies.

Many fisherman say fly pattern is not important. But in my own coho fishing experience, fly pattern is important.

I tied many salmon fly and steelhead fly by watching youtube. I thought to entice the fish, the fly has to be bulky and push water or has to be swim good or bright / dark color. However they did not bring in any fish.  I kind believe fly fishing salmon is a joke and whoever catches fish is lucky. Until I tried the simple fly pattern Bigsnag shown. It totally changed the story.

I guess these simple and slender pattern must imitate something important in their diet. It might be needle fish or small size herring or tiny squid. The flashy material is very important in the pattern. Some pattern has barely a hook and a few strand of flashboo. The flashy effect also coincident with the success of spoon fishing.

Also, the cheap bucktail material works better than the soft material like bunny strip, marabou or foxtail. The soft material make the fly swim like a bunch of weed while bucktail keep the fly in shape.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:42:30 AM by psd1179 »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »

I pretty much only use variants of this fly in high visibility conditions.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »

Bigsnag, I have similar patterns and colours but nothing in copper/gold as on the right side of your box. Have you had much success with that colour?

psd1179

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »

Nice California neils. What size, no weight?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:56:16 PM »

Nice California neils. What size, no weight?
I think these were size 10 2x heavy, 2x long.
I use no bead with a floating line for depths calm water 4 feet or less. Often I catch Coho by casting towards shore in inches deep water and stripping towards the depth.
I use a 1/8" tungsten bead for deeper or faster water, often with an intermediate sink tip line.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 06:16:00 PM »

Bigsnag, Does GCCK rank high up in usage among your flies? I tried to tie up some but couldn't find pearl colour matching that fly requirement of dark olive pearl polarflash. Thinking of using some substitutes with other shinny flashabou. Does it really matter to match the material for coho flies as long as it is flashy stuff with similar colour? I guess that 5/32 bead is probably important as it will give it more lively action during stripping.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:18:01 PM by Steelhawk »

RalphH

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »

I think I have 3 boxes. I tend to talk about specific patterns not boxes.

My favourites:

- olive wooly bugger with either a plastic chenille body or a body based on UV ice dub + enough flashabou type stuff in gold to qualify as a Xmas tree

- a gold roled muddler with wood duck wing and mixed gold and UV pearl kystral flash

- KCK

- Mickey Finn

I have caught fish with a Xmas tree including the largest coho I ever caught on a fly.

"Never force conversation on a stranger. They are probably there just to fish and find solitude. If you ask a question or 2 and receive only answers...and no attempt to keep the conversation going, gracefully follow the implied suggestion and leave the angler alone"
               from " Courtesy and Safety"; Morris and Chan on Fly Fishing Lakes by Brian Chan and Skip Morris

bigsnag

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:46:00 AM »

Bigsnag, I have similar patterns and colours but nothing in copper/gold as on the right side of your box. Have you had much success with that colour?
My go to color at first light, I love that subtle flash of copper in the early morning......not too loud so to speak.

Does GCCK rank high up in usage among your flies? I tried to tie up some but couldn't find pearl colour matching that fly requirement of dark olive pearl polarflash. Thinking of using some substitutes with other shinny flashabou. Does it really matter to match the material for coho flies as long as it is flashy stuff with similar colour? I guess that 5/32 bead is probably important as it will give it more lively action during stripping.
I love that fly because I caught a lot of fish with it.  Personally I don't think you have to match the material but since it is Nicole's fly and she calls it GCCK, so....  Oh yes, that bead is important actionwise.

Good stuff, Typhoon, nice tie.

Personally I believe the depth you fish your fly is more important than the pattern used when it comes to coho fishing but that 's just me.