Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jigs: short float vs near bottom  (Read 3717 times)

Kever

Jigs: short float vs near bottom
« on: November 19, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »

I've noticed that some days Salmon and steelhead prefer a short floated jig, presented about halfway between surface and bottom. What's everyone's go to? Short float or deep presentation?

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Jigs: short float vs near bottom
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »

Start high and work my way down...

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »

Same. If there are many fish around rising/boiling (typically chum), I'll start high, basically float just above my float. You never know some times they come up for the deep to hammer the jig. I'll work my way down until I find the depth they like. If the bite goes off I'll start shallow again and work my way back down. Sometimes their preferences change.
If I'm jig fishing for steelhead I just make sure I'm 1-2 feet off bottom. Seems like if they want a jig that day they'll move a bit or a lot to smash it. I'll adjust my float as the depth changes but I don't get too worried with the exact depth as long as I'm not hitting bottom.

Kever

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 02:10:47 PM »

Yeah I find jigs are a tough sell to steelhead sometimes but unpressured coho usually like em. And chum. Good ol'reliable chum.

Same. If there are many fish around rising/boiling (typically chum), I'll start high, basically float just above my float. You never know some times they come up for the deep to hammer the jig. I'll work my way down until I find the depth they like. If the bite goes off I'll start shallow again and work my way back down. Sometimes their preferences change.
If I'm jig fishing for steelhead I just make sure I'm 1-2 feet off bottom. Seems like if they want a jig that day they'll move a bit or a lot to smash it. I'll adjust my float as the depth changes but I don't get too worried with the exact depth as long as I'm not hitting bottom.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »

I don’t often give jigs an honest shot for steelhead. I know some good rods that swear by them. They do well in bait ban rivers here on the mainland.

Usually when I’m using jigs the temps are in the negatives and I’m trying to keep my dirty pudgy little  bait fingers out of the cold. People say steelhead won’t move for anything when it’s that cold for long periods but I’ve had some luck with jigs in cold weather. I keep it right off the bottom where they’re surely sitting.

For chum I think anywhere in the water column is fine they are fairly aggressive.

I only twitch for coho (with limited success)

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 09:09:12 PM »

For chum, short float all the time, unless water clarity is an issue, in which case you need to present the jig at the right depth so that they can see it.  Not usually a problem during chum season.  So short float all the time.  You will tend to catch the fresher more aggressive fish and less likely to catch the zombies.  Also reduces foul hook up and gear loss.  Irrespective of water depth I tend to fish no more than 2-3 feet from jig to float.  I have fished 16 inches in shallow water.

Don't bother float fishing with a jig for coho, it can be done, but it is very inefficient compared to twitching a  jig, floating a, blade, bead or roe or fly fishing.  Twitching is hands down the most productive method for Coho. 

For steelhead, still short float to make sure you are off the bottom, but as Noahs Arc indicates you will need to be closer to the fish during the dead of winter because water temperatures mean they will not travel far of a jig.  Consider the fish is likely 6 inches to 1 foot off the bottom then you want to be 2-3 feetoff the bottom, again if water visibility allows.  If visibility is less than 1 foot then you will need to be a lot closer to the bottom.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »

relative to coho chum stay deeper in the water column and are less likely to move to any presentation.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 07:14:21 AM »

For chum, short float all the time, unless water clarity is an issue, in which case you need to present the jig at the right depth so that they can see it.  Not usually a problem during chum season.  So short float all the time.  You will tend to catch the fresher more aggressive fish and less likely to catch the zombies.  Also reduces foul hook up and gear loss.  Irrespective of water depth I tend to fish no more than 2-3 feet from jig to float.  I have fished 16 inches in shallow water.

Don't bother float fishing with a jig for coho, it can be done, but it is very inefficient compared to twitching a  jig, floating a, blade, bead or roe or fly fishing.  Twitching is hands down the most productive method for Coho. 

For steelhead, still short float to make sure you are off the bottom, but as Noahs Arc indicates you will need to be closer to the fish during the dead of winter because water temperatures mean they will not travel far of a jig.  Consider the fish is likely 6 inches to 1 foot off the bottom then you want to be 2-3 feetoff the bottom, again if water visibility allows.  If visibility is less than 1 foot then you will need to be a lot closer to the bottom.

Excellent info. I'd listen to this guy^^^

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »

Definitely agree with this. If you're looking for keepers, fish higher off the bottom. Looking for tired arms and ugly fish, fish closer to the bottom. :-)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »

Definitely agree with this. If you're looking for keepers, fish higher off the bottom. Looking for tired arms and ugly fish, fish closer to the bottom. :-)

The ugly ones need lovin’ too :o

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 04:10:52 PM »

LOL! True with fishing, and with life in general.

Kever

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 08:38:38 PM »

Can't seem to master the twitch... And I'm hesitant to try around chum due to snaggage.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »

Can't seem to master the twitch... And I'm hesitant to try around chum due to snaggage.

Chum dont seem to take a twitched jig nearly as readily as coho, and yes you are correct if a lot of chum happen to be around, the chance for foul-hooking them high.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »

It can be done and if you have the right colour, but you also need a fast to very fast action twitching rod with a good feel and at least 5/16 oz jigs so you can control your depth and presentation; if not, rather than twitch, twitch, boom, it's more of a twitch, twitch, zzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzz, snap!