Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Korkers  (Read 12452 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Korkers
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »

I've been watching this thread and I should chime in!

Korkers are bomb proof, and pretty much the only modern boots I'll buy now. I've had my pair of Devil's Canyon's a full year now (and I bought them used). Have put a tonne of miles on them, and have had to buy replacement felts once already due to the number of miles on them. Easily 100+ trips on them already. Hardly any wear at all, besides a tiny bit on the neoprene that isn't notice-able.

A couple notes I do have though.

Someone had mentioned worrying about wrecking the inside toe of the front of the boot. Apparently I do the same thing, and I did end up ripping the rubber front of the boot up, which caused the bottom to pop out of the front constantly. I ended up super gluing it back together and haven't had problems since.

I had a few other pairs of earlier korkers. I did have problems with the soles popping off and the back nub getting broken off. Both issues seem to be fixed with the newer pairs - Kitty and I have not had a sole pop out or anything break on our two newest sets.

I'll second the no liking Boa's. This was the first time I had tried them, and I'd never get them again. I don't like how it tightens up (I like my boots tight, and Boa's just don't seem to sinch down the way I'd like, especially mid foot. I also don't like them in the winter. When you've been fishing a full day in negative temps without gloves (like I often do), it's damn near impossible to pop that button at the end of the day lol! I've had to delay taking my waders off a few times until I've been home to use my hands again!

Hey good to hear from ya Dan! Thanks for that.

Alright I'll steer clear of the boa laces. I have not liked them on other footwear I've tried so I see no reason why I'd like them on wading boots.

Do you have an opinion on the overshoes by Korkers? I was thinking about ordering a pair, likely the CastTrax with the 18 carbide studs per sole. However I decided against this idea. If they slip around even just a bit they'll drive me nuts. Extra buckles and straps to fart with. I plan to fish these boots most of the winter. Have decided to just get a pair of actual Korker wading boots.

Plan is to buy a pair that come with the rubber soles, and the extra studded rubber soles. I do not need another pair of felt boots, I have two pairs.

I have never had rubber soled wading boots, but the general consensus from what I've read is that plain rubber sucks big time for slippery/icy winter conditions.

I'm hoping that the separate studded rubber will do the trick. If they are not gripping enough I would likely buy the studded carbide soles. I can't see them slipping!! However they look very aggressive and I bet they would be uncomfortable walking on rocks all day. By this I mean I imagine such big studs would push up a bit into the foot bed. However I bet they would rock on an icy trail with compact snow.

If the studded rubber provides adequate grip I'd likely just stick with them as they look a lot more comfortable to walk on rocks etc all day.

There is also the alumabar soles. Consensus from what I have read is 2nd to none for above freezing in slippery conditions. Better than felt, and better than studded felt. However several ppl on this site commented in past threads that the alumabar soles suck big time on ice. So they are out for when the temperature dips below freezing.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:43:30 PM by Spawn Sack »

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 01:05:19 PM »

I have owned four pairs of korkers over the years and will share my experiences. Korker's warranty was great to me and their sole interchangeability was great but I doubt I would buy another pair personally.

My first pair had their version 2.0 soles. I fell in love with the ability to change out soles but hated that they would pop out on occasion and even lost one in some deep mud while cutthroat fishing. The soles clipped in front and back but had hardly anything along the sides. They also didn't hold up for me and in less that a year were thrashed and falling apart. The mid soles had delaminated and were coming apart and toe separated too

Korkers came through on their warranty and offered me a pair of their new Chrome's with their newer version 3.0 soles as a replacement. The new soles (what they still use currently) were much improved and I have never had one fall out. Unfortunately that pair lasted well under a year and were coming apart too.

They warrantied that pair with another set of Chromes. I got about a year and they were coming apart as well. I liked the boa laces and the ability to change soles but their boots just didn't last for much more than a year.

Although Korkers had been great with warranty replacements when my third pair fell apart again in just over a year, I was told it was wear and tear and that I fish too much for their boots. They offered me a pair of their new at the time devils canyons for a discounted price and I figured I would give them a try. I am pleased to say they have held up well with the exception of I have gone through three pairs of the boa wire laces, they kept fraying (none of my other pair ever did that). I also hated the lack of ankle support in the devils canyons as well.

I still have them as a pair of backups but I bought a pair of Simms freestone felts and have used them for over two years now and besides needing to refelt them, the boots look like they are a month old. They have stood up well beyond my expectations, love the fit and ankle support and actually prefer normal laces as I like my boots snugged tighter than I could with the boa's. My next pair of boots will be Simms for sure but it may be a while because these still have plenty of life in them.

In regards to soles;
- Felt I think is the best all around goto
- Studded felt was my goto in winter. Bites into ice and good wading. Downside is their noisy and not allowed in my boat and do wear down.
- Korkers version of vibram was the scariest thing I have ever waded with. Deadly and not in a good way
- Studded vibrate good along the shore in snow and ice, wading was still scary though
- Aluminum bars best wading traction by far. Nothing even comes close. Downsides is they don't bite into ice at all and I wouldn't use them in a boat but they were seriously like velcro when wading.

I have not used the strap on deals. I think the added weight and bulk would annoy me as well as more work to put on ands if they didn't stay tight I would hate them pretty quick.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:09:34 PM by BNF861 »

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »

Pretty Dam good write up ^^^

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »

Awesome write up BNF861! I still think I'm going to roll the dice and try a pair. Adding aftermarket soles (studded carbide or alumatrax) would get expensive fast coupled with the initial cost of the boots.

I have been extremely impressed with my Simms Guide boots. They are going on their 3rd set of felt. Have had them for 4 years I think. Awesome comfort and support! Durability is amazing. My back ups, leather Sedge boots, are not bad but very poor ankle support. I only really use them when my Simms boots are getting re-felted or whatever.

I would prefer to stick with Simms but I need to go a size up as they are too tight with thick socks on. The Korkers would be my "winter boots." The interchangeable soles is just too good to pass up.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:10:11 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »

Thanks scouterjames. I checked out those links. I find it kind of odd that the K-5 Bomber and Ambush both sites have on sale are no longer listed on Korkers website. I wonder if they are discontinued models? If so does not mean they are garbage, but I would not buy them without trying them on.

I think I'll just go to my local tackle shop, try several pairs on with my waders, and buy the ones I like. Down the road if I decide to order another pair I would order online, but I'm not going to spend an hour in the shop trying on and asking questions, then go order online to save $20. Nobody likes that guy.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »

Although Korkers had been great with warranty replacements when my third pair fell apart again in just over a year, I was told it was wear and tear and that I fish too much for their boots.

tells you everything you need to know right there. My other warranty experience with Korkers was the replacement offered was always  the current model below the level of the model that had failed.

"You walk too much for our walking shoes!"
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:08:50 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »

So gots me some K-5 Bombers for xmas ;D Requested from the wife the sole package that comes with one set of studded rubber, and one unstudded rubber.

Been rocking the studded rubber the 3 or so times I've been out since xmas. Love the soles! Way, way more grip on trails than frozen felt. IMO comparable grip to felt when wet wading. The studs really bite into the rocks. Only downside is the studs are a bit noisy/scrapey/crunchy over rocks on shore, kind of a fingernails on the chalkboard kind of noise! A bit irritating, but I am definitely sold on studded rubber for below freezing steel heading.

Also I am glad I went up a size from 11 to 12. With my Simms 11 boots my feet always felt bunched up with thick socks on. I either got cold feet due to lack of circulation, or cold feet with too thin a sock on for the temperature. With the 12s I can wear a liner socks and a big thick wading socks and foot room is still adequate. Feet are noticeably warmer now. ;D

Downside. This is just bizarre. So I'm heading out fishing yesterday morning. Put my boots on and am doing the laces up. Wtf....on one boot one of the rivets that holds the lace eyelet to the boot has come right off, and is hanging off the lace. I think, oh great, oh well just one eyelet I'm sure I can fix it with a rivet gun or whatever. Then I go to put the other boot on and TWO of the eyelets are off the boot, also popped loose where the rivet goes through the boot. The one eyelet is still on the boot lace, the other one seems to have fallen off.

Must have happened last time I was fishing and I didn't notice when I took the boots off when I got home.

Pretty strange as the boots are basically brand new. I've never seen rivets come loose on any pair of footwear I've owned. I emailed Korkers last night and am awaiting as response. :o
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:04:09 PM by Spawn Sack »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »

try taking them back to where your wife bought them - then get a pair of Simms boots
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 06:15:18 PM »

try taking them back to where your wife bought them - then get a pair of Simms boots
X2 but Simms boots might weigh an oz or 2 heavier! Fatigue factor may play into effect over a long day on the flow!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:44:54 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 08:16:48 PM »

X2 but Simms boots might weigh an oz or 2 heavier! Fatigue factor may play into effect over a long day on the flow!

I have Simms guide boots, felt soles. I love them but wanted studded rubber for winter, and a size bigger for thick winter socks. Decided to try Korkers as reviews for them are generally positive, and the interchangeable soles is just too convenient.

Got a reply back from Korkers today. Am quite pleased with their response. First they admitted yeah there was a bad run of the K5 bombers with respect to the riveted eyelets coming loose. Looks like you got a pair of them.

They are mailing me a brand new pair at no charge. All they asked is that when I get the new pair I destroy the current pair by cutting both tongues out, and then take a picture and email it to them. I could be dishonest and keep both pairs but I will honor my end of the deal and destroy the current pair when the replacement arrives. I see no reason to toss the soles though, so I will be keeping them.

A bit unimpressed I got a lemon pair of Korkers but I am impressed that they are sending me a new pair right away with minimal hassle.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 09:20:29 PM »

Okay okay! I will chime in. Rubber vs felt. The age old question. Korkers vs Simms? Have fished both. I prefer good old felt over rubber. Rubber is great for tons of hiking which I like to do but even with studs it does not grip the slimy rocks like felt does. I rather have the best traction while my balls are deep in the water then better traction with rubber while on land. And go...

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »

Dude, this has already been discussed ad nauseam in this thread. Kindly read the discussion from the beginning.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 10:15:59 PM »

waiting to see how many 'bad runs' you tolerate before you figure it's a 2nd rate product.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 02:51:09 PM »

Honestly, I'm not that worried about it. Just a pair of boots. If they don't work out I wont buy another pair next go around. I know several people that fish Korkers and the general consensus is they are solid and last. Doubt they will last as long as my Simms guide boots which are now on their 3rd refelting and still look and fit great. But whatever, I wanted to try a pair so I did. Doubt the replacement pair will have the same rivet issue. Slim odds. Ill also says Korkers customer service was great to deal with. Much better than Simms who requested that I mail them my defective G3 jacket at my expense, then did a horrible repair job that has already come apart again.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:55:25 PM by Spawn Sack »