Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Joy-riding jet boaters destroying Pitt River salmon  (Read 13321 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Joy-riding jet boaters destroying Pitt River salmon
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »

He's actually not complaining about the people fishing but the recreation users. Jet boats and jet skies, Pit Lake turns into cultist lake in the summer now and I am sure in turn has drove many people to explore upper Pitt river.

People also go up there to hunt. 

One way to eliminate jet boats would be to put a nice gravel road up there.  Altho I don't think we'll see Dan asking for one of those any time soon.

why do you assume everyone up there is targeting salmon. many other species up there besides salmon.
[/quote

Because that is what the topic of this discussion is about.  Not about bull trout or other species in Pitt River.

GordJ

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »

I'll still be at the river, you don't need a bend in your rod to have a good day on the water.
Thats what the jet boaters say.

This is the first time that I came across his complaints, the first boat is mine and we have about $1200 of life jackets on me, my wife and grandkids. Funny that in the height of the bull trout season he had a free boat for the reporter? And the numbers of boats that he claims is ridiculous. 2008. There is a brief edit at the start so that I could show off to my friends.
https://youtu.be/td1RsbVlvXY

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 03:59:02 PM »

Nothing says escaping to nature like ripping up a small river in a jet boat.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »

One way to eliminate jet boats would be to put a nice gravel road up there.  Altho I don't think we'll see Dan asking for one of those any time soon.

There is a gravel road!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

GordJ

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »

Nothing says escaping to nature like ripping up a small river in a jet boat.
It is no different than snowmobiles, quads, dirt bikes, jet skis, waterskiing or just plain boating. All the guests at the lodge use a boat to get up the lake and ride up a logging road in a pickup, is that any different? It is hard to get anywhere without motorized transportation and some like it.
Hell, I drove to Inuvik this year to see the nature.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 05:21:04 PM »

It is no different than snowmobiles, quads, dirt bikes, jet skis, waterskiing or just plain boating. All the guests at the lodge use a boat to get up the lake and ride up a logging road in a pickup, is that any different?

No, it is different. The pickup isn't directly in the stream churning up gravel

Quad's, dirt bikes, jet ski's etc are just as annoying  -  too many of them buzzing around making a god awful noise.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »

No, it is different. The pickup isn't directly in the stream churning up gravel

Quad's, dirt bikes, jet ski's etc are just as annoying  -  too many of them buzzing around making a god awful noise.
On any smaller river jet boats speed should be restricted. Say 15km per hr.
Less power / speed thus gravel not churned up.
Or whatever speed it takes to which it does not affect the fish/spawning...
Enforcement would be an issue but with signage ,smart phone cams & heavy fines possibly jet boat owners will put it in a crawl speed.
Jet boats can do there racing on the main Fraser. ( even there 50 km max )

sbc hris

ShaunO

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »

On any smaller river jet boats speed should be restricted. Say  per hr.
Less power / speed thus gravel not churned up.
Or whatever speed it takes to which it does not affect the fish/spawning...
Enforcement would be an issue but with signage ,smart phone cams & heavy fines possibly jet boat owners will put it in a crawl speed.
Jet boats can do there racing on the main Fraser. ( even there  max )

Speed is always hard to regulate, however horsepower limits are used on a number of lakes and rivers and ultimately with lower power you get lower speeds.  Might be a better option than speed restrictions.

ShaunO

Re: Joy-riding jet boaters destroyong Pitt River Salmon
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »

If I could bitch slap you I would.

Tyler, I think this says more about your abilities than it does about my opinion.   ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »

Speed is always hard to regulate, however horsepower limits are used on a number of lakes and rivers and ultimately with lower power you get lower speeds.  Might be a better option than speed restrictions.
Sounds good to me.
So if I hear ya right are you proposing a 25-30 hp outboard limit on the upper Pitt R kinda idea?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »

still wont work. you know how fast a 12ft aluminium goes with a 30hp on it. gordj said it best, education not restriction.

ShaunO

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 11:36:31 AM »

still wont work. you know how fast a 12ft aluminium goes with a 30hp on it. gordj said it best, education not restriction.

I respect your position and I would agree completely if education was more effective than it is, e.g. bottom bouncing.  That said, I can tell you that a 26km ride in a 12' jet sled, up the Pitt Lake would be a harrowing experience.  Jets are most efficient at high RPM and the fuel burn at full throttle would be impressive, but riding in a flat bottom sled in any kind of chop for an hour is fatiguing at best and damaging at the worst.