Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plans sometimes take a U Turn. Enjoy your fishing hobby while you can.  (Read 2238 times)

arimaBOATER

Like to do some web surfing & reading what's happening around the world.
Recently heard that Ralph Meir ( sp? ) the ex politican / radio talk show & avid fisherman died.
He has been mentioned many times in past posts on FWR.
80 something so he did live a long life.
But I'm sure his loved ones wanted him to live into his 90s.
Then last week there was a story of some 70 something fisherman from the Seattle area driving up to the Caribou to camp / fish. In the City of Williams Lake the poor guy had a heart attack in a parking lot next to his truck. A lady came to his aid & called 911 etc.
The guy is now in the Kelowna hospital ( or was? ) His family picked up his truck & brought back to Seattle Wa.
Kinda a reminder to take care of ourselves so we'd can live a long life hopefully.
Rest,exercise,healthy food,deal wisely with stress...( listen if the news interrupts your favourite tv program & warns of an incoming nuke from NK ...just keep calm & deal with the stress wisely. )
Number your & my days.
Listen you just may die next week or live a long long time.
There's a barber in New York who still cuts hair. He's 106 yrs old.
He was cutting hair in 1924.
Easy back then. Put a bowl on top of head & cut around.
Wonder if anyone on FWR will be casting lures or snagging fish or like Winnipeg Jet player(s) / coach did recently ...reeling in a huge sturgeon at 106 yrs old ?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Plans sometimes take a U Turn. Enjoy your fishing hobby while you can.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »

Raif Mair actually stopped fishing 15 or more years ago. He said he lost the desire to go. It's not that unusual. Last week I was fishing in one of those little Surrey streams when a violent thunderstorm took place. I wondered if it might be the end of me standing there as I was with a graphite fishing rod in my hand. No such luck though. Back when I was young thunderstorms in the Fraser Valley were very rare. We'd get the occasional one on hot muggy summer afternoons. The last several years they have become common whenever the air mass is unsettled as weather forecasters like to say. It poured as well and the stream turned to muck in an hour.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »

How many cutthroat did u get on roe Ralph?   Lol

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 02:13:35 PM »

Honestly that fishery died in the 1990s. Cutthroat included as I used to see them in bush as a by catch,!! I would duck hunt and fish Serp and Nick, Raif,also known as Ralph Meir was a good bloke and did wonders for conservation
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:17:24 PM by cammer »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »

Honestly that fishery died in the 1990s. Cutthroat included as I used to see them in bush as a by catch,!! I would duck hunt and fish Serp and Nick, Raif,also known as Ralph Meir was a good bloke and did wonders for conservation

glad you think so. That was about when they stopped planting hatchery cutthroat. My experience goes back to the early 60s. I haven't bait fished those streams since the 70s as I had too many gut hooked cutthroat die in my hands. Back then we fished dew worms on unweighted slack lines.

Written Rafe he did not pronounce his own name as Ralph - which experts do say is the correct way.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.