Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Angler lands Atlantic salmon in Harrison River  (Read 4104 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Angler lands Atlantic salmon in Harrison River
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »

How cool would it have been if Chris had caught that fish? ;D ;D ;D

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:04:36 PM »

Lucky from what I’ve herd they put up a better fight then steelhead.

dobrolub

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:53:37 PM »

And they don't die after spawning

bobby b

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 06:56:51 PM »

I talked to a guy today that said he caught one on the Vedder last week. Wasn't sure if i should beleive him....till he showed me his photo!!

Sure enough.... a big freckle cheeked Atlantic!

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 05:18:07 AM »

I caught one as well, mine went for testing with Alexandra Morton. I saw a bunch of them that day. This was on the same day as this fellows catch. If anyone catches one, Alexandra would like a non frozen one to test. If you get it to me I will make sure it gets picked up.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 06:33:51 AM »

Lucky from what I’ve herd they put up a better fight then steelhead.

I've caught them in the Maritimes. I've talked to people who have caught dozens of them there and in Europe, as well as hundreds of steelhead. They don't necessarily fight better than steelhead.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »

My buddy got one as well in point roberts about a month ago. He was just casting from the shore with a buzz bomb. Said it tasted ok actually.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 08:12:22 AM »

I've caught them in the Maritimes. I've talked to people who have caught dozens of them there and in Europe, as well as hundreds of steelhead. They don't necessarily fight better than steelhead.

While that may be true - Pacific coast Atlantics have been eating steriods all their lives so they're ready for a good fight. Having said that, we know they've made it into our waters so I would like to catch one, just to say I did. If I did catch one in our rivers, you can bet it would become supper that night. Again, just to say I was able to do that.

I wish they were never here but they are so hopefully they get caught before they cause damage.

I sure would have liked to know how many were netted by the various FN nets. I'm also curious what they would do with an Atlantic - kill it and throw it back? Consume the devil fish or sell with their other catches? I'm not trying to make any negative point regarding FN practice - I'm just curious.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »

Pat, I would bet most FN fishers would not recognize an Atlantic salmon if they saw one.  Back in the day I used to teach FN enrolled in the Aboriginal Fisheries Strategy program basic salmon biology, including identification, and was surprised they had a hard time recognizing species. To the majority of students they were just "salmon"

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »

*Heresy Alert*

If runs got established in a few rivers and offered decent summer and fall fishing I for one would not be sorry.

*Alert off*

While that may be true - Pacific coast Atlantics have been eating steriods all their lives so they're ready for a good fight. Having said that, we know they've made it into our waters so I would like to catch one, just to say I did. If I did catch one in our rivers, you can bet it would become supper that night. Again, just to say I was able to do that.

I wish they were never here but they are so hopefully they get caught before they cause damage.

I sure would have liked to know how many were netted by the various FN nets. I'm also curious what they would do with an Atlantic - kill it and throw it back? Consume the devil fish or sell with their other catches? I'm not trying to make any negative point regarding FN practice - I'm just curious.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »

*Heresy Alert*

If runs got established in a few rivers and offered decent summer and fall fishing I for one would not be sorry.

*Alert off*
LOL!!  so would the vast majority of anglers.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »

If people are catching them like this, I really wouldn't be surprised if some successfully make it to the spawn.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.   :o

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 09:56:35 PM »

Come on, Atlantic salmon was endangered on east coast, if they can find a home here, let it be. They are far better game fish than pink and chum.