Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Was this you?  (Read 5719 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Was this you?
« on: October 18, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »

Now that you are home and in dry clothes, will you tell us about it? :)

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/four-fishermen-rescued-from-swollen-capilano-river

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Was this you?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:57:02 PM »

They should just put in an elevator from the Hwy bridge to that island. Would save the tax payers some money.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »

Will they receive bills?

Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 01:01:44 AM »

Now that you are home and in dry clothes, will you tell us about it? :)
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/four-fishermen-rescued-from-swollen-capilano-river
He may as well - will be hard to keep it on the dl with that sweet SIMMS jacket :P

Will they receive bills?
Nope - nor should they. The moment one starts charging for search and rescue missions is the moment people stop calling for help - and things can turn tragic pretty quick.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 01:28:09 AM »

Seems to be a relatively regular ocurrance and the reason I stay away from that run when the water is high or at all variable.  It's surprising the risks taken for a couple of fish.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:13:44 AM »

So many safer spots... :o

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 07:11:07 AM »

He may as well - will be hard to keep it on the dl with that sweet SIMMS jacket :P
Nope - nor should they. The moment one starts charging for search and rescue missions is the moment people stop calling for help - and things can turn tragic pretty quick.

S&R groups are strongly against charging for rescues.
What happens is that lost people call for help, wait for searchers to get close, then hide.
They then follow the S&R group out to avoid paying. This massively extends the search and puts the rescuers at extra risk.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:34:25 AM »

I used to fish the Cap all the time and I've seen people get airlifted out of that pool on more than one occasion.  At least they were able to wade up to the bridge so that S&R could rescue them without flying in a helicopter.

People don't realize that even though the Reservoir is not full, they will still let water out due to turbidity issues.  Even if the reservoir is low, a heavy rain will stir up sediments on the bottom and they need to get rid of this dirty water so that the Filtration Plant won't get overloaded.  The heavier the rain, the more water that gets let out.  If you happen to be able to access that pool when its not raining and all of a sudden the heavy rain starts, get out of there immediately.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:02:58 AM by Stratocaster »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:50 AM »

I am on the fence on this one. People who get into trouble due to their own stupidity (getting lost in the forest, skiing out of bounds, being ill equipped for a night in the boonies) should pay when search and rescue brings them back home safely. Accidents are another story. Anyone can lose their footing and get injured, compromising their ability to get out of the predicament.

These fishermen fit in the former group.

hookmeup

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 10:51:53 AM »

I was fishing that spot yesterday when the water started coming up and I quickly packed up and left. Everybody else down there knew the water was coming up but decided to continue to stay. What I saw down there was pretty disgusting for the one hour I was down there. Almost everybody was ripping through the run and snagging fish including a coho which was snagged by a female and retained. Interesting enough a female was included in the article of being stranded on the island. She was with two other guys wearing grey Simms coats. Funny cause it looks like them on the picture of the rescue.

Well this article doesn't report a female but the others did including global on the tv.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:54:59 AM by hookmeup »

Drewhill

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »

I can certainly understand how they'd get stranded. You can't see the channel from that spot so you have to go by the river rising in front of you. How many of us had those moments when you see fish being caught or you're catching them and you just go into that zone of cast, retrieve, repeat and forget everything around you. Your only focus is on your float. It can be hypnotic at times. Then it becomes the usual 'just one more cast' mentality. Not condoning them, but can understand them.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:47:11 PM by Drewhill »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »

I was fishing that spot yesterday when the water started coming up and I quickly packed up and left. Everybody else down there knew the water was coming up but decided to continue to stay. What I saw down there was pretty disgusting for the one hour I was down there. Almost everybody was ripping through the run and snagging fish including a coho which was snagged by a female and retained. Interesting enough a female was included in the article of being stranded on the island. She was with two other guys wearing grey Simms coats. Funny cause it looks like them on the picture of the rescue.

Well this article doesn't report a female but the others did including global on the tv.

Wonder if her snagged fish got hauled up the rope with her? :)

Jk47

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »

Wonder if her snagged fish got hauled up the rope with her? :)
Ha! I was wondering the same thing! "We'll haul you guys up but all your snagged fish puts our ropes over the weight limit. It's you or the fish!"

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »

people pay for ambulance bill, why not pay for rescue

mesmer25

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »

I was stuck in traffic because of this.... grrr