Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No holding wild steelhead out of water rule  (Read 15238 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: No holding wild steelhead out of water rule
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »

Again, Hah Ha!

Don't worry I have. Summer runs, smallmouths & dorado have the most serious 'air time' I have experienced. Next time you spend some Chronometer time with leaping pennasks report back.

FWIW I just provided the info in synopsis. If you have some problem with the info they provided take it up with the appropriate people at MOE. I am sure you can convince them you know better.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

poper

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 12:17:41 PM »

This site makes me laugh everyday, love it.we need to start a thread on how to keep fish from jumping to high.  Might save a few fish, lol
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:27:32 PM by poper »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »

Nope. I'm perfectly fine with MOE encouraging good C&R skills.
This particular thread looks to be about a purportedly Thompson steelhead being caught on the Fraser in Region 2 while tossing spoons for Coho and Chum.
Let's not use junk science to create more regulations for an event that might happen once in a lifetime.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 02:37:52 PM »

Nope. I'm perfectly fine with MOE encouraging good C&R skills.
This particular thread looks to be about a purportedly Thompson steelhead being caught on the Fraser in Region 2 while tossing spoons for Coho and Chum.
Let's not use junk science to create more regulations for an event that might happen once in a lifetime.

Junk science? give us a break -

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/f92-129

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10531-004-7845-0?LI=true

https://www.tu.org/sites/default/files/Handling_Stress_Summary.pdf

A study by Queen’s University (Kingston, Ontario) scientists found that rainbow trout survival after being exercised (simulation of being caught) was 88%, but survival decreased to  62% when fish were exposed to air for 30 seconds after exercise  and survival decreased
 further  to only  28% after 60 seconds of air exposure

As far as once in a lifetime, harken back to the junk science of 1980s creel census work that found that more Interior steelhead were caught and killed in the Fraser Chilliwack to Hope Bar fishery than in the terminal in river fisheries themselves.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »

As in 12% of exercised fish that were NOT taken out of the water died.
Do you think that is a representative result of your experiences?
Do you think you can linearly extrapolate the death rate of a fish held out of water for 30 seconds to 1 second?

Junk Science.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 05:31:52 PM »

I think your science background is junk.

My experience is I have no direct observational experience either experimentally or in terms of fish released while angling. Occasionally I have seen the odd one die or just roll over and stay dead when I tried to release it. The overwhelming number I saw swim away I have no idea if they were alive 24 hours later.

I can only rely on what scientific evidence is available. If every angler had relied like you on some biased notion there would be no wide spread acceptance of catch and release since many anglers called the studies that proved that c&r could have a high survival rate 'junk science'.

As I said if you don't like what was written in the synopsis contact MOE. Otherwise I suggest you look over many of the published scientific papers on the topic before you prove your ability to jump to conclusions based on faulty reasoning.

Cheers!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 06:02:57 PM »

I fished at the Tamihi pool after the Chilliwack River cleanup day recently. Saw six dead pinks on the bottom of the river that afternoon. Obviously C&R takes a toll but it doesn't mean that we should stop being careful.

poper

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »

I fished at the Tamihi pool after the Chilliwack River cleanup day recently. Saw six dead pinks on the bottom of the river that afternoon. Obviously C&R takes a toll but it doesn't mean that we should stop being careful.
Maybe those fish just spawned? Maybe c&r wasn't the problem. Sounds like Junk science again.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »

Maybe those fish just spawned? Maybe c&r wasn't the problem. Sounds like Junk science again.
That was an anecdote, not science. Get your definitions straight and remember the old saying: The plural of anecdote isn't data.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »

Stop making something out of nothing. Most guide are are Stewards of the river - sure there are some that are questionable - people are not perfect.

I really don't see anything there that is cause for alarm. Catch the fish, quick hero shot and into the drink it goes.

Next we'll start saying we can't fish for Steelhead out of a boat because you net them and then they thrash around while you try get the hook out.

Or we can't fish for them from shore because too many people are bringing them to shore to get the hook out. Sand might get into their gills or they are giving themselves a concussion as the whack their heads on the rocks.

Someone saw dead Pinks in a deep pool during their spawn season. Yes - the salmon die after they do their business. Yes - some fish die after they are stressed by poor handling.

You will never educate everyone and even if you do, people get greedy and anxious and stupid and ...

We can only do our best to try inform someone of the right way to handle fish if you see they are having difficulty or obviously don't know what they are doing.

Even despite our best efforts, sometimes a fish is going to die.

It's okay that we're not perfect as long as we try do what's right.

I'm certainly not going to try thrash a local guiding business for a picture that some might think isn't perfect. Unless you were there on the boat or witnessed the activity first hand, how can you say something was done wrong? Nice fish and nice hero shots.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »

--maybe we just can't handle the truth...we wish to believe that C&R..causes only minor mortality.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:41:43 AM by skaha »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:16 PM »

--maybe we just can't handle the truth...we wish to believe that C&R..causes only minor mortality.
...or the truth is that C&R causes only minor mortality

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »

...or the truth is that C&R causes only minor mortality

but that is so simplified it's a downright lie!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »

but that is so simplified it's a downright lie!
Prove it.

avid angler

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »

If catch and release caused more then minor mortality the chilliwack steelhead run would have completely collapsed