Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back to back games is unlogical.  (Read 6476 times)

arimaBOATER

Back to back games is unlogical.
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »

Elvis Presley performed 1200 live concerts in 7 years so was it any wonder he used pharmacy meds to stay awake & other pills to sleep !!!!
The NHL product is watered down when a team plays hard for 60 minutes ( end to end action ) only to have to play the next night in another city.
Namely the season opener between the Blues & Pens last night in Pittsburg was a hard fought game.
Blues were up 4-2 & Pens pressured & tied the game 4-4.
But Blues did end up winning 5-4.
So what happens the next night?
Pens have to play in Chicago.
The players are emotionally & physically tired.
2/3 of the game to be played & Blackhawks are ahead 6-1.
Chicago is rested & ready as it's their 1st game of the season.
Unfair to players & fans.
A team cannot play full out & give it their all & the next day have to get on a plane & play another game.
NHL teams need a break between games.
They can have a practise /meetings.
Allow a team to get ready mentally & physically to exert & battle & win or lose to allow the mind to be happy in the W or be sad on the L.
Then when the next game comes the players are ready mentally & physically to execute.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
Re: Back to back games is unlogical.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »

Really! Did I just read this!  ::)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:07:24 PM »

Final score 10-1 over last year's Stanley Cup winners.
Not surprised.
Pens in their opening season game at home played a determined St Louis team & both teams skated full speed for the entire game.
Zero pacing.
Pens lost 5-4 as mentioned.
They were unhappy with the loss & Blues were pumped as they invested tons of energy & got awarded with the W.
24 hrs later Pens in Chicago with the Hawks mentally & physically ready.
Result 10-1.
If Pens after playing Blues on Wed got to play Hawks tomorrow instead ( Friday ) there is no way the score would be 10-1.
It would of been a much closer game with the winner in question.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:59 PM »

Well boater, Phili is playing back to back as well. They won last night and losing 1-0 right now but they are flying out there!

If they played Friday the Hawks might have won by 2 touchdowns!

Oh and on another note, all of the Hawks goals (10) were even strength! Went 0-6 on the power play
So that’s how I figured it would be by 2 touchdowns. Give the Pens 1 kill!

Cheers

arimaBOATER

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »

Well,grey ghost you make some valid pts.
Guess we agree to disagree.
Maybe Flyers paced themselves the first game thus they have more gas left in their tanks so to say.
If a team decides to play full out then if the opposing team wants to win they are force to match their energy level.
Each game between teams is so unique.
Some games are just a war...full out skating/ lots of body checks & at the end the players are really exhausted. Beat up. Bruises,cuts,sore muscles,stiffness...
Other teams may just play mostly 3/4 speed & hardly any physical play...
At the end of 60 minutes they are not so spent.
If I were Pres. all NHL teams will have non game days between games.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »

--for sure wouldn't want to do back to back...especially with nagging injury.
--but these guys are mostly in there 20's and lots of back up waiting on Jr. teams looking for a chance, many wouldn't get to play unless a team is forced to use them as back up.
--at that age played in many tournaments with multiple games per day let alone back to back.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »

It's all about the mighty dollar. If the owners have their way, the schedule will be expanded to 100 games with teams will play every night. Hockey is a contact sport. Body needs to heal.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 04:54:57 PM »

It's all about the mighty dollar. If the owners have their way, the schedule will be expanded to 100 games with teams will play every night. Hockey is a contact sport. Body needs to heal.
Canucks are having trouble selling jerseys & rink tickets. You know Canuck owners are wanting wins so fans will get excited & start buying tickets.
It starts by shooting the puck more & not just looking for the tic tack toe play.
When teams are on the road the owners like 2 games on 2 nights thus less $ spent on hotel & food.
Your so right it's the $$$ for owners & alittle on the side to win the Cup for bragging rights.
Skaha & FA give the thumbs up for having off days between games but I am sure many non posters agree with Greyghost.
The smart thing to do as a team when playing back to back is try to play smart paced hockey puck possession & pass the puck back to the D men like the European teams do...& play 75% energy thus in the next day game there is still energy to play a decent game.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »

The smart thing to do is play your guts out if you want to remain in the show! Injuries happen in all sports. If your an entry level player and you play 75% the owners will tell the GM to tell the player “don’t let the door hit you in the *** my friend on the way to the minors”!

This is a big boys sport. Like skaha, I have participated in practices that ment more than other people played in real games!

Just my perspective on this, please take it for what it is!

It can be a cruel game at times but even more rewarding if you have been fortunate enough to eat the fruit grown atop the apple tree!

Cheers all!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:12:55 PM by greyghost »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 12:37:00 AM »

In the NHL maybe it's better to have a team with max age 28 so basically from 19-28.
These younger guys if dedicated & eat / rest right may be able to put out better when the going gets tough.
The Associated Press on last night's game said: "...and it looked every bit like a team on the second half of back to back nights."

Mind you the wind was surely taken out of the defence & forwards when the starting Pens goalie Niemi let in 4 goals in 13 shots before he was yanked.
Talk about being behind the 8 ball.
Pens should of pulled what the Russians did in Philly.
Walk off the ice & go into. Their dressing rooms before the period ended Ha!
Basically to say " the heck with it were losing too badly,we quit. "
No mas like Roberto Duran I quit right in the middle of the boxing match.
He was being so out classed he said " the heck with it "
Excuse was he was not physically fit enough plus he ate a big steak before the fight.
Regardless if I am going to shell out $100 for a ticket to see a pro hockey game I want both teams to be ready to give it their all.
No back to backs.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »

--I guess being a labour friendly person, to be consistent and empathetic to the idea of worker health, I should have the same concern for hockey labourers as I do for Nurses working several 12 hr shifts in a row.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 10:08:15 AM »

--I guess being a labour friendly person, to be consistent and empathetic to the idea of worker health, I should have the same concern for hockey labourers as I do for Nurses working several 12 hr shifts in a row.
Most nurses do a super job. But it must be challenging to have to do 12 hrs.
That's a long long time to be in a building & a long haul...guess the last 2 hours feels good because it's finally ticking down where you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
If a nurse did not get enough sleep or stress at home over a situation then have to care for the sick for 12 hrs ....very long day for sure.  On that job one has to be steady Eddy & pace or else burnout.
I died in the hospital for 10 secs ( heart ) & when I openned my eyes 5 lady nurses were around me & they said I gave them a scare Ha!
Hey Canucks must be very ready to play...% other teams have played 1-2 games already.
Lions play baseball playoffs hockey sports heaven !!!

arimaBOATER

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 10:46:47 AM »

greyghost idea may hold water after all.
Vegas won back to back games.
Canucks won yesterday though they played the night before.
Vancouver did have lots of jump.
Have to modify my idea that back to back games are ok once & awhile.
And teams that play in them try to reserve their play & play smart.
Play full out at times in the game & skate smart the rest of the time.
That game with the Pens vs Blues at the beginning of the season the Blues & Pens literally went at it like it was game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.
Thus was not surprised when Pens lost the next night to Chicago.