Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River Treasure  (Read 18102 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
River Treasure
« on: September 02, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »

I went to the Stave River last week and this bright lure caught my eye from the bottom:

So I went out yesterday with a snorkel and fins to see if I could find any other river treasure. Came back with this in my box:

Which cleaned up to produce this:

Mostly junk but a couple of keepable bits for the tackle box, including the giant colourful lure. One iffy hook, the rest were rotting or dull. I picked up old line that I found, even if it didn't have anything else attached. Good karma I figure, for all the stuff I've left snagged in lakes and rivers :D

Total hooks: 11 (Both days)
Treble barbed: 2
Single barbed: 1
Semi-barbed: 2 (Can't tell if it was pinched poorly or just damaged by being in the river)
Single barbless: 6

If anyone else does this, I'd love to see pics of your treasure! Also curious about the breakdown of barbed vs. barbless hooks.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: River Treasure
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »

Also dug up this pic from Dec 21, 2016 at the Stave. The jigs were still in decent shape then, unlike the 3 rotting smelly ones I found yesterday :P This shot is just the decent stuff, I didn't think then to take a pic before I sorted out the trash. I was in waders that day so everything was found either on dry land or in a couple of feet of water.

Total hooks: 14 (Garbage hooks not shown in photo above)
Treble barbed: 0
Single barbed: 6
Semi-barbed: 0
Single barbless: 8

Tylsie

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »

That if pretty cool. I have found a few lures and jigs while out fishing, quite a few on the Skagit actually but never took any picture of them.

That being said, I am a bit disturbed that the it appears both lures you found have treble hooks and there is quite a few singles with barbs.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »

There are treasures to be found if you take the time to look. In 2015 while fishing for pinks, I found over 60 lures (mainly buzz bombs, jigs and spoons) including a big cod jig.

1st lite

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »

Yeah. I picked up numerous lures and some flies during the 2015 pink season. A good percentage of them looked like they were lost on the first cast. No scratches, chips, or dings on the lures. That season I did see what I assumed were a lot of newbie anglers on the water. They had the fishing rod with the plastic wrap and manufacturing label still on the rod. Some of us thought they would purchase the rod on Friday and return to the store for a refund on Sunday. This is what I consider a true "weekend fishing warrior".

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 12:40:41 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=26478.0  :)

Since then I've been meaning to buy a shorty wetsuit as I don't tolerate the cold water well.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »

Nice work. Been doing that for over 15 years lol. I think that is how I found fishing forums originally, selling lead and gear back to people~ The Coquitlam river mouth used to be good too, now its just weird stuff~ (FYI there is a clean up on the Coquitlam on the 9th)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=26478.0  :)

Since then I've been meaning to buy a shorty wetsuit as I don't tolerate the cold water well.

Awesome thread, thanks :D

You mean you don't have a wetsuit? Your photos were posted in March... did you go in during that time of the year?

The Squamish would be loaded with gear right now but I'm guessing the water stays cloudy all the time? And it's probably cold year-round?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »

Plus hooks and stuff attached to a lime and rod  held by one of the hundreds lining the bank....

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »

Plus hooks and stuff attached to a lime and rod  held by one of the hundreds lining the bank....
LOL, I was thinking more after the pink run is over  ::)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 10:49:36 PM »

The best harvest is when the water drops quickly after being high for a few days. This was all found at the same snag in the Vedder canal two years ago:

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »

Nice Milo! Anything that involves Blue Foxes is a good find but it looks like you got a bunch of usable hardware  8)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »

Its probably the same guy that got pissed off losing blue foxes, so he switched to home spinners.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »

Just came back from the beach today with these. 

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 03:00:11 PM »

Furry creek I'm guessing? I came back with a few golf balls last time I was there :P

Also saw a bunch of golf balls in the Stave but they were too hard to hold on to while swimming so I left them.