Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sandheads  (Read 89828 times)

jimstone

sandheads
« on: August 27, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »

was one of 80 to 100 boats at sandheads yesterday on a beautiful calm day. fished using extra large anchovies in glow anchovy special teaser heads and larger herring in army truck and  glow bullet roll teaser heads both cured in procure uv brine....tried a couple of my go to ace hi hootchies and even tried a couple of pesca spoons with the super glow on them. spoons and hootchies got smelly jelly on them. fished at between 30 and 100 on the riggers and moved from 50 feet of water up to 300. worked our way through and around the group of boats and even trolled away from the crowds towards t-10.i never saw another boat use a net to bring in a fish the whole day. not to say no fish were caught but at any given time I could see at least 20 boats and what they were doing. most fish caught were small shakers.. didn't see many seals and saw no whales either. lots of guide boats in and among the rest of us and they weren't boating any fish either. talked to 3 groups of returning fisherman when I was pulling out and nobody had a fish and not a lot of people are hooking pinks either. now should be prime sandheads fishing but like last year fishing sucks. ive been to sandheads multiple times since aug 01with mostly poor results. I'm pretty fussy about having good bait but so far my silver horde small Irish cream spoon has got the most attention from fish. brought home a small red spring yesterday(70cm).I will still fish sandheads for another month and hopefully it will pick up(said that last years too)...good luck
y

Old Blue

Re: sandheads
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »

North Arm and Bell to the mile markers have been where the action is.

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:00:13 PM »

Been out 6 times now. Hooked over 20 springs. Right place right depth fish right gear. Bite is on when its on.

Apennock

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 09:59:06 PM »

Right place right depth fish right gear. Bite is on when its on.

It's gems like that that make you glad you made it to the restricted board, eh?

Old Blue

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 12:41:02 AM »

Try longer leaders too, 7-8ft behind your flasher.  50-70ft.

blueback

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »

I was out Saturday fishing the Sandheads too. I had my son and his buddy with me and we got a very large pink (in my experience, anyway), a couple of shakers, missed one, and two 18/19 lb springs. This time of year I only use anchovies in teasers, six feet behind a flasher. We were fishing 50 ft  on one side and 30 ft on the other. I still using up last years anchovies too! You just have to be there on the right tide, I think. Looks like lots more spring to come, according to what they're getting up north. I'll be out there again this weekend!

mikeyman

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »

It's gems like that that make you glad you made it to the restricted board, eh?

Stirring the pot eh. Lol. Always an idiot making some sort of comment. Makes me wonder why even post. Guess that is why we see reports here so rare. White hoochies. Chovies. Skinny G spoons. 50 and 60 ft. Playing the tides to the bite and location seems to help. 2.5 to 3.5 mph. Like 35 deg on riggers. Good luck see you out there.

blueback

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »

I went out solo this past Saturday, as I couldn't convince either kid or the wife to come. I started out of the North Arm and headed toward the t-10. Once there, I noticed about 30 other boats (I didn't get into the water until 12:30 pm, as I was trying to catch the afternoon rising tide), and some fish on the sounder, so I stopped and worked the area for an hour or so. Nothing; and didn't see any caught either. I then decided to pull up the gear and head over to the south arm. I trolled the sandheads for a few hours, only seeing a few shakers come to hand and same for the other guys I spoke with. I stayed at it for about four hours before calling it a day and starting to troll back toward the t-10. I got in front of where the Coast Guard cutter was anchored and my 50ft line went off. Just as I set the hook the other side at 30 ft went off, so now I've a rod in either hand with salmon on both (as I laugh)! The first one spit the hook, so I could concentrate on the other one. I got him up close and he got inside the rigger cable and the boat so I ended up tailing him into the boat. A nice 19 lb white! I put fresh anchovies on both lines and get them back down, and I am just coming parallel with the Coast Guard guys again and boom, the 50 ft goes off again. It was so light, I thought it was a pink, but I ended up tubbing out with a nice 23 lb pea-head red. I didn't see anyone else with any all day, and no one I spoke to at the ramp got any either. I guess I got lucky!!       

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 05:48:23 PM »

I went out solo this past Saturday, as I couldn't convince either kid or the wife to come. I started out of the North Arm and headed toward the t-10. Once there, I noticed about 30 other boats (I didn't get into the water until 12:30 pm, as I was trying to catch the afternoon rising tide), and some fish on the sounder, so I stopped and worked the area for an hour or so. Nothing; and didn't see any caught either. I then decided to pull up the gear and head over to the south arm. I trolled the sandheads for a few hours, only seeing a few shakers come to hand and same for the other guys I spoke with. I stayed at it for about four hours before calling it a day and starting to troll back toward the t-10. I got in front of where the Coast Guard cutter was anchored and my 50ft line went off. Just as I set the hook the other side at 30 ft went off, so now I've a rod in either hand with salmon on both (as I laugh)! The first one spit the hook, so I could concentrate on the other one. I got him up close and he got inside the rigger cable and the boat so I ended up tailing him into the boat. A nice 19 lb white! I put fresh anchovies on both lines and get them back down, and I am just coming parallel with the Coast Guard guys again and boom, the 50 ft goes off again. It was so light, I thought it was a pink, but I ended up tubbing out with a nice 23 lb pea-head red. I didn't see anyone else with any all day, and no one I spoke to at the ramp got any either. I guess I got lucky!!     

I was out at sand heads from 1pm to 7pm on saturday, Tubed 3 and lost 2. Anchovies at 50 feet

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:26:51 PM by wildmanyeah »

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:22:28 AM »

saturday was a good day for the recent declining mouth fishery, anytime u can get a limit in georgia straight is an awesome day,  my friends did very well sat.

blueback

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »

Next up come the big bruising whites 8)!!

Alomar

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »

Put in a full days work 7-3, 2 springs 14 and 7lbs, 1 humpy and a big chum that also weighed 14 lbs great day on the water!