Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thousands of 10-pound Atlantic salmon, people asked tocatch as many as possible.  (Read 17662 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

if these escapees taste anywhere near as bland as the farmed salmon available up in BC then I'd rather eat rockfish.

And speaking of rockfish - man do they taste good lol!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Another argument why salmon farms should be land based

cdjk123

Are these fish sterile, or can they reproduce? If they can... Uh oh...

psd1179

• Old Timer

300,000 escape according Wikipedia

sockeyed

Wow, you have got to be kidding me. Let's see if anyone catches one of these in the Fraser fishing for pinks.

Dave

• Old Timer

Wonder if Almo will sound off on this?  American fish farms have always been off limits with her so this should be interesting ...

My bet is very few of these will survive in the wild till they somehow learn to migrate to freshwater, and none will spawn successfully.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

if seals are truly the problem some people claim I am surprised all these fish aren't all dead yet and would expect they would all be gone by the end of the week. No problem!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Easywater

• Old Timer

"Yellow mouth?"

He said the fish were placed in the pens in May 2016 and treated for yellow mouth, a bacterial infection, in July 2016.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

if seals are truly the problem some people claim I am surprised all these fish aren't all dead yet and would expect they would all be gone by the end of the week. No problem!

Seals only go after Juvenal salmon, Those fat bastards are to lazy to chase down a big salmon.  They will however take one off your line if you are kind enough to stop it from running.

it actually does say that tho " The salmon will be food for the seals and the fishermen can enjoy them."

lol silly silly,

Still if I was a fishermen in the area that would be a fun opportunity as I here they put up a great fight equal to steel head. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:47:16 PM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Wonder if Almo will sound off on this?  American fish farms have always been off limits with her so this should be interesting ...

My bet is very few of these will survive in the wild till they somehow learn to migrate to freshwater, and none will spawn successfully.

I guess it depends if they got imprinted with any fresh water streams nearby? dosent look like any on the map tho

Chinook took over Argentina and streams in chilly after escaping from net pens are calling Atlantic salmon lazy?

https://www.currentresults.com/Invasive-Species/Invasive-Water/chinook-709271.php

Don't read the link it places the blames on salmon ranching but we really know it was fish farms lol. Jeez im getting as sarcastic as Ralph.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:10:48 PM by wildmanyeah »

mcallagan

Interesting attachment there.
Look from 1990 onward.
Now someone tell me that the Atlantic's will not breed on our West Coast.
Are "Juveniles" different than "smolts?"

Look at 1998.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:07:06 AM by mcallagan »

banx

http://bcsalmonfarmers.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/timeline_Atlantic_salmon_Pacific-Coast.pdf

bob, as a farmer, could you elaborate on why an eclipse caused the basic infrastructure of that farm to fail?

Tangles

bob, as a farmer, could you elaborate on why an eclipse caused the basic infrastructure of that farm to fail?
Yes, I'd love to know too, especially considering there has been bigger tides this year already.