Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indian Arm poachers, each and every day  (Read 11901 times)

rln

• I'm a llama!
Indian Arm poachers, each and every day
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »

been up looking for Pink salmon in Indian Arm a few times this year and so far the only location with any fish that I could find is in the Rockfish Conservation Area at Croker Island. Each time there have been numerous boats fishing and catching and killing Pinks even though it's closed to all fishing. I took pictures of boats angling, called DFO, told them about it, left my number so I could be called and so far it's all silent. Just yesterday alone there was 8 boats in there when I went by.
Doesn't anyone read regulations any longer? The RCA has been in place for at least 6 years or 3 cycles of Pinks returning.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/rca-acs/south-sud/IndianArmCrokerIslandChart3495-eng.html

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/areas-secteurs/28-eng.html

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Indian Arm poachers, each and every day
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »

been up looking for Pink salmon in Indian Arm a few times this year and so far the only location with any fish that I could find is in the Rockfish Conservation Area at Croker Island. Each time there have been numerous boats fishing and catching and killing Pinks even though it's closed to all fishing. I took pictures of boats angling, called DFO, told them about it, left my number so I could be called and so far it's all silent. Just yesterday alone there was 8 boats in there when I went by.
Doesn't anyone read regulations any longer? The RCA has been in place for at least 6 years or 3 cycles of Pinks returning.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/rca-acs/south-sud/IndianArmCrokerIslandChart3495-eng.html

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/rca-acs/areas-secteurs/28-eng.html

Take pictures of the boat numbers or names, note location and report.  You can also post the pictures on http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?forums/saltwater-fishing-forum.30/. Almost everyone on there knows where peoples salt water boats are stored. People get shamed on there and it seems to work well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:37:16 AM by wildmanyeah »

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »

Take pictures of the boat numbers or names, note location and report.

I did and so far no response from DFO.
Moral of the story so far seems to be, Don't follow the rules and it's ok

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »

I did and so far no response from DFO.
Moral of the story so far seems to be, Don't follow the rules and it's ok

How is that the morale of the story? If a driver goes through a school zone at 160 kph when there is no popo around do you conclude that this is acceptable behavior?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:20:05 AM »

I can understand how frustrating it is to see a obvious, multiple, infractions and there appear to be nothing done about it. However, don't lose heart. It's very possible that DFO is conducting an investigation and doing surveillance as we speak.

In my line of work we the phrase "multi-channel". My unsolicited recommendation is to do a multi channel report and use the BCWF app to send a report via that channel as well.

kaolinite

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:08:58 PM »

Big Excavator / Bobcat / Forklift / Wrecked Jeep submerged at the mouth of the Stave during the freshet. Oil / Fuel everywhere. Called the DFO not even a call back. Machines still in a giant hole next to the river...

Enforcement is a joke.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:21:00 PM »

Big Excavator / Bobcat / Forklift / Wrecked Jeep submerged at the mouth of the Stave during the freshet. Oil / Fuel everywhere. Called the DFO not even a call back. Machines still in a giant hole next to the river...

Enforcement is a joke.
You would think within a day of these veicles being submerged with oil fuel spill the media,environmental groups,gov. chemical clean up crews would be on scene  ..........& DFO officials.  >:(

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 03:40:36 AM »

BC MOE jurisdiction?

kanuckle head

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 07:53:21 AM »

Nice to see no one fishing those areas yesterday........must have read this tread ;D

Did see a group of 8 vehicles and more than a dozen folks bar fishing and casting the tidal Fraser just down river from the Alex Fraser bridge. I don't think its open??

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »

Did see a group of 8 vehicles and more than a dozen folks bar fishing and casting the tidal Fraser just down river from the Alex Fraser bridge. I don't think its open??

Closed to salmon fishing. If you can reasonably make an argument that you are after sturgeon, bull trout, coarse fish, etc, then have at it.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »

Saw a dude fishing under the Patullo a couple of days ago, too. I think he was bar fishing but hard to get a good look when you're driving across, trying to avoid the semi trucks at the same time  ;D

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 12:25:10 PM »

Gotta keep in mind people can still fish for Sturgeon, Coarse fish, and Trout (Even if we know you likely won't get a Trout).
Oh I know but I'm a skeptic  :P

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 04:23:40 PM »

Saw a dude fishing under the Patullo a couple of days ago, too. I think he was bar fishing but hard to get a good look when you're driving across, trying to avoid the semi trucks at the same time  ;D

people fish there everyday. If someone happens to catch a salmon there I doubt it would be released. Most anglers don't even have a clue what the regulations are.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Birkenhead

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »

Wonder if it is the same person I busted last week there who was bar fishing on the Coquitlam side of the bridge? Acted like he did not know that the river was closed to salmon fishing. He packed up and left that day. I'll take another stroll down there tomorrow and next couple of days to check. If it is again the same person, I'll RAAP him this time.

Andyman

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2021, 11:23:41 PM »

Just an FYI…. You can call the RCMP to complain about fishing infractions. They are a federal police force and are required to respond just the same as DFO.  I have called them once or twice in the past when I have witnessed illegal crabbing at Cates Park. They have responded quickly and busted the illegal crabbers.