Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anything in Gold Creek?  (Read 8290 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Anything in Gold Creek?
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:18:21 PM »

I'm planning on hitting up Gold Creek in a couple of days. Been trying to find shady, cool spots to fish this summer and the valley there looks perfect. Anything much in there in terms of fish? I found a few posts online from 2009-2012 but nothing recent. One guy mentioned catching fish under the bridge. What about up higher near the falls? I'm guessing just tiny trout but any info is appreciated.

I fished the creek between the bridge and the lake last winter but no bites, no sightings even. Absolutely dead. The water was a gorgeous green colour though. I wondered if the lack of fish was due to the colour... like maybe the green means less oxygen/fewer nutrients or something similar?

I'll head up regardless, probably Tues. Should be nice for a swim even if the fishing is lousy :P

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Anything in Gold Creek?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »

Just about any creek like that will have some small cutthroat and /or rainbows. In winter they are either hiding in the stream bed or have moved into the lake. It's all catch and release, as I am sure you'd know. While the weather has cooled somewhat, the water of many small streams may be too warm to avoid placing any fish caught and released at higher risk of being harmed by the encounter.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

colin6101

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »

I've seen some white fish there before but that was about all. Anyone who has ever been in Gold Creek will tell you that no matter what time of year it is it is darn cold. The water comes right from the glacier up the mountain and isn't very nutrient rich as far as I can tell.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:50:42 PM »

While the weather has cooled somewhat, the water of many small streams may be too warm to avoid placing any fish caught and released at higher risk of being harmed by the encounter.
That's a good reminder. I'm heading out tomorrow morning and may wind up fishing the mouth of the creek instead.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »

Assuming you're talking about the Gold Creek in Golden Ears,
I have seen tiny fish within fifty meters of the falls. And I (while enjoying the sun on one of the beaches along the creek) saw a man catch three trout in a fifteen minute span (2 cutthroats about 8 inches and a rainbow about 14 inches). There def. are fish in there, you just have to work to find them. :)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:54:41 PM »

During certain months of the year, bull trout, migrating up from the lake, can be found in the creek.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:08:30 AM »

Bull Trout are all catch and release, just as a reminder.

Better luck can be had casting into the lake at the mouth for a variety of fish.  And I believe any kokanee caught in streams must be released.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »

the only likely catch you could keep would be whitefish. It should be closed when the bull trout move in to spawn if you ask me.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »

I personally wouldn't bother anytime in the summer, on a nice day the place is a zoo with people. I like peace when im fishing. Otherwise i might as well be at home with screaming children. 

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »

Not going to retain any fish from this location but thanks for the reminders ::)

It's not the best spot for fishing but the water colour and clarity are just amazing. Climbing around on the rocks was fun too. I throughly enjoyed my time exploring, despite the screaming children.

By the time I got down to the creek mouth, the only thing I was likely to catch was an inflatable raft filled with drunks.

Quote of the day:
Woman on inflatable raft: "Do you catch any fish in here?"
Me: "I caught a small trout up the creek a bit"
Woman: "Like, 2 pounds?"
Me: -_-
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:53:45 AM by Blood_Orange »