Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rodney, any videos on what clothing/equipment you wear to the river?  (Read 2289 times)

NothingToSnagAbout

I'm in the hunt for a vest and/or belt for the upcoming season. Currently just have a heavy backpack that I usually plop at the shore and would like to minimize trips back and forth to adjust gear. Wondering what works for you guys and what doesn't? Any recommendations on vests belts etc. particularly for handling roe bait?

Thanks in advance.

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Rodney, any videos on what clothing/equipment you wear to the river?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »

And if you could model a couple of ensembles (perhaps from your spring and fall collections), that would be greatly appreciated.

Nothingtosnagabout: I was reminded about a earlier thread that I thought might be of interest to you. Lo and behold, you were the OP. http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=39862.msg376093#msg376093 I guess you still haven't replaced that pack :)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »

At 39, i'm just about ready to retire my vest and move to a tackle bag/box/backpack.  More often than not, I plop my vest on the shore and leave it there while I fish.  I will occasionally keep it on and keep roe in the pocket of my raincoat if I have waded out to a spot that I don't dare abandon, but that is really rare.  My vest weighs too much on my back and shoulders, even if I try to minimize the heavy things like extra pencil lead and lures.  Things might be different if I was fishing alone, but I am normally with my 66 year old father who gave up on the vest a long time ago, and we tend to not be too crazy adventurous with hiking and wading, plus we normally have at least one extra rod with us (rather than leave it in the car to be stolen).

My dad has a Cabela's tackle bag that has multiple clear slim snap-lid boxes.  I like this system because you can switch out the boxes you need for different fisheries, so you don't carry the kitchen sink with you all the time (the box with the pink jigs and spoons will be in there now but will come out later in the season).  I've noticed tackle backpacks with the same box system, and I might be inclined toward something like that.  If they could throw on a couple of mesh pockets where I can carry a few coho, I'd be sold!

Washability is another factor.  I like that I can throw my vest in the washer and dryer (although it is work to make sure it is empty of all hooks, swivels, etc.).  I haven't smelled my dad's tackle bag lately, but I would imagine it is getting ripe!

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 11:51:41 AM »

Thanks, Clarki. Couldn't remember if I asked this before and certainly wouldn't be unable to find it. My google-fu is weak.

That being said, Rodney modelling a few choice items from the Vedder 2017 Fall Collection would be welcome

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »

And thanks WAfishboy for the detailed advice. I can't imagine the look on my wife's face if she saw me putting my tackle bag in the washing machine.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »

I use a small sling backpack. It's light weight and can carry most of the stuff I actually need while lure fishing. It works well at the beach fishing for pinks as I don't have to walk all the way back to shore to change lures, drink of water...etc.
They have roe boxes that you can attach to your belt.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:24:55 PM by fic »

Birkenhead

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 01:46:25 PM »

For those who don't know. Rod's iconic and always fashionable green sweater. Haven't seen him wear it for awhile so it may be retired.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »

The issue here is that you're probably carrying what I would call "too much stuff". But the idea of "too much" is totally subjective and personal, so that's not necessarily a great answer. ;)

I also use a sling pack and have for a few years now. Hated the vest, hated a backpack even more. I also used to carry everything I could "just in case", but in my much wiser old age of mid-30s, I have learned the beauty of simplicity. And the sling pack is the way to go in my books.

You don't have to leave it on shore while wading (unlike tackle bags)

It stays dry in deeper wading scenarios (unlike some vests or waist bags / fanny packs)

You can spin it around for easy access (unlike backpacks)

You can still pack a fair amount of stuff into it without going overboard. It's really the best option - FOR ME. Hope you find something that works for you!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »

I have to agree with Tex. Everything I've ever needed fits in the pockets of my jacket or my waders. For bait I use a bait box on the belt. In the summer I put a second bait box on my belt to hold a couple things cause I'm not wearing my jacket. I have a sling pack I use for more remote fishing where I'm away from the vehicle for long periods.