Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Introducing a friend to fishing  (Read 2157 times)

am3ience

Introducing a friend to fishing
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:23:48 AM »

Hi Guys,

I have a friends who's keen on fishing, we've done the local urban lakes and we want to try our hands at something else. Anyone know of any good places right now that we could see relative success at? Any river in the lower mainland or even beach fishing off the fraser would be cool. We don't have access to a boat, so shore fishing is all we can do.

Ambassador

Re: Introducing a friend to fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »

Grab a spinning rod and head over to Ambleside beach. Launch some 2" buzz bombs or hammered Crocs from the beach or jetty and hope for the best. Still a bit early - but the crowds aren't quite there yet either - so you can get some practice in without elbowing other guys on either side of you at the moment.

If you have bigger gear - Red Springs should be showing up soon to the Vedder. That is a fun day out walking the river, and you will likely see a few of Sockeye schools swimming by to keep you interested.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »

I would suggest taking them to the Chwk/Vedder for some trout fishing. You are allowed to harvest "hatchery rainbow trout of any length 50 cm or less: daily quota = 4, July 1-Apr 30"

The fish aren't big but it's a different environment than urban lakes, teaches your how to read water, and fishing moving waters is fun :). You also don't need to drastically change your gear from fishing the lakes.

Flyfishing, small gear (spoons/spinners) and bait all work. Be careful with bait though; there are wild fish in the system and if you are too late on the trigger, you can wind up gut hooking some.

There are some members that disagree with opening this hatchery trout fishery to retention, but I like it for taking new anglers (usually kids) and will even ff'ish myself for trout if I am in the area.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 01:47:20 PM »

Some other suggestions since the rivers and beaches have been discussed.

You could hit one of the lakes that have rentals and have a little canoe ride/troll around.  Like Buntzen, Alouette, Pitt etc.  Or higher elevation lakes like Stump/Fawn/Edith/Alice, Alta.  To find some cooler water.

Depends on how far you want to go. 

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »

What gear do you have?

If you are prepared to travel a little further or wait a little longer:

Pink salmon on the Squamish will be off the hook in about 1-2 weeks time.

Can you wait until mid October.   Short floating jigs in the Stave will almost guarantee you 20 plus chum days, but you will need heavy gear. .

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 01:06:30 AM »

What gear do you have?

If you are prepared to travel a little further or wait a little longer:

Pink salmon on the Squamish will be off the hook in about 1-2 weeks time.

Can you wait until mid October.   Short floating jigs in the Stave will almost guarantee you 20 plus chum days, but you will need heavy gear. .

This. You have chosen a good time of year to get into fishing. Start gearing up for salmon the fun is just about to start.