Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2.5 HP gas motor vs Electric Minn Kota for a tinny  (Read 4534 times)

Birkenhead

2.5 HP gas motor vs Electric Minn Kota for a tinny
« on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »

My deep cycle battery for my Minn Kota is slowly dying. I was thinking about replacing it but then thought about just purchasing a smaller 2.5 HP gas motor instead as they can be had for $900.00 list. I already have a 6 hp but find it propels the boat too fast for slow trolling and at 68 lbs, it is heavy to carry any distance.

I like the quietness of an electric, but then again, this motor weighs 20+ lbs and the battery weighs some 60 lbs which gets old after packing it all too many times.

The 2.5 HP weights around 38 lbs which would make it much more packable and will also propel the boat slow enough. I think I am pretty much sold on the 2.5 and will sell the electric motor but keep the 6 hp as it has less then 25 hours on it.

The only thing that I think I will miss is that these smaller gas motors, most do not have a reverse gear. After years of having reverse gear and how useful it is, not sure if I could do without it. Anyone else miss having reverse on these smaller motors?

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: 2.5 HP gas motor vs Electric Minn Kota for a tinny
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:55:38 PM »

Hi had 40lb minn kota and 2.5hp Suzuki before. The gas engine is twice as fast as the electric motor. The small engine is not good at idling in low speed. Somehow, my engine stop when speed is too low.
The engine can rotate 180 degree,so the reverse gear is not a big issue.

I switched to 6hp Mercury and don't look back at all. BTW, I do not troll fishing

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 07:07:53 AM »

I have two 2.5 - 4 strokes and never think about reverse, always going forward. It would be good if you hung up on the bottom to reverse back over it and try to get free when trolling. I just turn the boat around. Having a few extra plugs and some carb cleaner can help keep the motor running smoothly in lowest speed. Make sure your gas is treated as well.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »

Just use your 6hp.  And use a drift sock if it is too fast.  No need to spend extra money, and having the higher HP on tap when needed is always good.  Wind, tide, more people in your boat etc.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boating-accessories/drift-socks-marker-buoys%7C/pc/104794380/c/104706180/sc/104308380/cabelas-advanced-angler-pro-series-drift-sock/1801756.uts

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:54:16 AM »

--not sure what they are like now... my 2.5 turns 360* and the handle flips 180* for back steer.
--I never sell anything...to many lakes with electric only. I actually often carry the 2.5 on the boat on lakes where wind can be a problem or if I am moving longer distances.
--on bigger boat I use bow mount electric to assist with steering in the wind and have gasser as propulsion.

--even the 2.5 tends to troll to fast, especially if not tuned. modern motors often have a troll setting which adjusts fuel and spark to allow for lower rpm

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »

I have a 50lb Maximizer and a 2.5HP Yammy 4 stroke on my 12 foot inflatable
The Yammy is WAY, WAY too fast to troll unless you are continually kicking it out of gear (which is terrible for the engine).
Even when trolling with my electric I switch from off to on to manage the speed.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »

I don;t know how that is possible.

I had a 55lb on my 8 foot zodiac and troll just fine.  Not even on the lowest setting.  Same thing with my 5hp merc.  No problem getting to 'duck swimming' speed without having to go in and out of gear.

These motors also find time on my 12ft tinny.  No problem with getting to a slow trolling speed on that either.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 11:30:54 AM »

I don;t know how that is possible.

I had a 55lb on my 8 foot zodiac and troll just fine.  Not even on the lowest setting.  Same thing with my 5hp merc.  No problem getting to 'duck swimming' speed without having to go in and out of gear.

These motors also find time on my 12ft tinny.  No problem with getting to a slow trolling speed on that either.
Are you trolling for olympic fish?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 01:35:17 PM »

My minimum troll speed is 1.2mph on the GPS.  Flat calm, with no wind.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 04:40:12 PM »

Part of the reason I love my 90's Johnson 6hp. There's an idle speed adjustment on the tiller arm

Birkenhead

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »

Just use your 6hp.  And use a drift sock if it is too fast.  No need to spend extra money, and having the higher HP on tap when needed is always good.  Wind, tide, more people in your boat etc.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boating-accessories/drift-socks-marker-buoys%7C/pc/104794380/c/104706180/sc/104308380/cabelas-advanced-angler-pro-series-drift-sock/1801756.uts

I tried a drift sock but the problem when fishing some interior lakes that have a lot of weeds, the sock soon gets covered in weeds and is a chore to keep cleaning it. And as i mentioned last night, the weight of the 2.5 hp is about 30 lbs lighter then the 6 hp so that is the main reason for going to the 2.5 hp.

Birkenhead

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »

--not sure what they are like now... my 2.5 turns 360* and the handle flips 180* for back steer.
--even the 2.5 tends to troll to fast, especially if not tuned. modern motors often have a troll setting which adjusts fuel and spark to allow for lower rpm

Thanks for the info on the 360 degree turn and handle flip. What brand 2.5 hp do you have?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 10:59:32 PM »

--Honda and is on my old Johnson 2 stroke as well... maybe the newer motors don't have this?  New Tohatsu has forward and neutral.... no reverse and same 360 steering.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:03:03 PM by skaha »