Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: inflatable fishing craft for Ambleside / Capilano mouth  (Read 4447 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
inflatable fishing craft for Ambleside / Capilano mouth
« on: June 22, 2017, 03:04:48 PM »

Any suggestions on a frameless inflatable fishing craft (Kayak, pontoon, float tube) that is suitable for the capilano river mouth.

I want something I don't need to tow of put on a roof Rack.
I am not opposed to having an electric Motor on it.

Stand up option would be nice for fly fishing.

Can anyone speak from experience on fishing the Cap Mouth?

thanks

Ambassador

Re: inflatable fishing craft for Ambleside / Capilano mouth
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »

I kayak at Ambleside and the Cap mouth fairly often and personally think an inflatable of any type would be a bad idea - with the exception of a Zodiac-type boat if you had a decent gas motor to get you out of trouble. An electric wouldn't be strong enough around there (assuming you are talking about Minn Kota's and not something like a Torqueedo) - and your battery would be dead in no time - leaving you paddling upwind against the current as a massive tanker comes bearing down on you - while you get verbally assaulted over the loudspeakers by the Harbour authority for causing a dangerous situation.

Approach the mouth of the Cap as you would a double-black diamond run at Whistler. You have a whole lot more to contend with than many other local areas and need to have your shite together. Gigantic shipping containers and their wakes, strong tidal currents, winds, rogue waves, other (capable) fishing boats with downriggers, and more.

Come experienced, prepared, and know the capabilities of your boat. I love my sit-on-top kayak and recommend that for the area if you don't wanna go full boat and trailer - but you already mentioned you dont wanna go that route - so that idea is out.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

doja

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 04:58:42 PM »

^ pretty sound advice...

I also kayak that area. An inflatable kayak (of quality) would be ok but be very aware of the incoming tide as it gets moving very quickly and I belive unpowered craft are not even allowed past a certain point (they will just yell at you to move as they did me, lol).... I paddled as hard as I could to gain Inches so be very aware of the tides as I was not in respect to the amount of flow through the narrows.... MAKE SURE TO TAKE TIME AND OBSERVE THE TIDE CHANGE AT ITS FULLEST SO YOU TRULY UNDERSTAND THE LARGE AMOUNT OF FLOW/DYNAMICS  BEFORE PLAYING OUT THERE.

Once past the Ambleside Beach the tides less issuie if close to shore but the mouth is really quite something... When the tides move.

I see inflatable boats (cheap ones) in front of the areas west of Ambleside  so if you stay close and gain knowlage of the area you can certainly make it work as others seem to have and I've seen fish there. HAVE A GOOD ANCHOR!!!

A belly boat seems like asking for death unless you really know the area if you take it to the cap mouth or Ambleside.  A cheap inflatable At least can move well and skims the top surface well... Also some good washing machine effects near the bouy... My 14' kayak was a bit scarry as I didn't have my life jacket on at the time... But FUN!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:02:46 PM by doja »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 05:13:09 PM »

Check out how well an electric will handle the corrosion problems from exposure to salt water. Minn Kota makes specific models for salt water applications and I don't think they recommend using other models in salt or even brackish water.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

badboi

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »

Okay convinced - scrap the inflatable idea

What sit-on-top kayak do you recommend?

So using an Outcast Pontoon 9 Ir with Salt water Minn Kota motor (55lb thrust) is still a bad idea...?
http://www.outcastboats.com/pontoons/fish-cat-9-ir.asp

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 05:34:27 PM »

A good choice would be small inflatable boat, about 10 ft for safety, reliability and ease to fly fish standing up. You should consider hypalon  made boats only. They last. Brand names you relay on are English Avon and Japanese Achilles.I Have one designated for fly-fishers. It is about 22 years old and there is no single patch on her. That's why search and rescue use them. You can pick one up for a few hundred bucks south of the border. Check your Craigslist for
Possible deals, they are quite frequently popping up in there. Avoid Chinese PVC knockoffs, they are heavy and cumbersome and they puncture easy.

doja

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »

Sit on kayaks depend on your weight and intentions.... My 14' tarpon is good for me as I'm 150# and it's pretty quick. 200 and it's slower. Some more stable vs more speed.

There's some good inflatable kayaks that are sit on (like river ones) that I don't see them being unrealistic and you don't need to car top or store a big yak... They do catch the wind more so it really depends on what you want to do with it as it's all trade offs.

I love my sit in for a wide range of fishing but I don't stand (or would dare in mine without outriggers.

Do a bunch of research on kayak fishing forums for better advice / ideas that others have done as you can get quite creative with designs and mods. You want to get a kayak that's suited to you and your intentions... Ie, also lake fishing, need to stand, payload/performance, ability to ad a motor, downrigger s,  etc...

Western canoes and kayaks has a good lineup and runs demo days every now and then so I highly recommend going to one and try different setups and see if its even for you... The cheap yaks work but you are limited to add ons and a rudder is sure nice to have... And a good paddle

An inflatable boat with a  motor would also work well and easy to store and transport too especially for trolling with downrigger... But again what all do you want to do with it?... Really think that out so you get the most out of your craft.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:51:44 PM by doja »

Birkenhead

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »

I kayak at Ambleside and the Cap mouth fairly often.

With Ambleside boat launch now closed, where do you put the kayak in? I have seen people do this on the right side of the pier area, but are there other areas also?

doja

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »

I haven't been lately but I have a cart that goes over the beach and such well... There's also bathrooms at the beach and the lifeguards are pretty good at keeping an eye on things if you have to go.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 08:24:24 PM »

Choose the tides right and you'll have no problems in an inflatable.
This is my Scadden Outlaw frameless pontoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zelxXZPAX8&feature=youtu.be

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 10:58:14 PM »

The shore fishing guys will chuck metal to your boat. They don't give a sh*t if your inflatable would sink

Ambassador

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »

Check out how well an electric will handle the corrosion problems from exposure to salt water. Minn Kota makes specific models for salt water applications and I don't think they recommend using other models in salt or even brackish water.

I learned the hard way that freshwater trolling motors really, really hate to get salty. Seized my first motor up many moons ago when I was getting into trying out the salt.

With Ambleside boat launch now closed, where do you put the kayak in? I have seen people do this on the right side of the pier area, but are there other areas also?
I just pull mine down the beach and pop it in there. Can be a bit of a rodeo if there are any waves are coming in - but that is part of the fun!

Okay convinced - scrap the inflatable idea
What sit-on-top kayak do you recommend?
I have one of these and can say with confidence that it is an amazing kayak for the price. Nice and light for loading and portaging, decent deck space for my crab trap, fish finder, and Scotty rod holder, can stand on it on glassy water, tracks fairly straight, and doesn't break the bank (On sale now - sick deal!). Plus I'm a bigger guy (6'2 - 235) and it handles my weight and gear no probs.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pelican-boost-100-sit-on-kayak-10-ft-0798554p.html

My next will be a Hobie Outback with the Mirage Drive - buy gotta save a few more bucks for that one as it comes in over $4000.
I used to have a sit-in one, but personally found it way too hot inside the cavity on hot days (schwetty ballz), and it was WAAAAY too sketchy coming in to the beach with even the slightest waves. At least it is a quick and easy bail off the SoT when things get sketchy - as I learned last fall coming in hot on a small wave.

So using an Outcast Pontoon 9 Ir with Salt water Minn Kota motor (55lb thrust) is still a bad idea...?
http://www.outcastboats.com/pontoons/fish-cat-9-ir.asp
Tough to say. I think you would be weighed down a fair bit by that motor and the battery required to keep moving. Personally I would not go East of the totem pole with that setup - and DEFINITELY not past the buoy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:50:52 PM by Ambassador »
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

West

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 04:30:45 PM »

A good choice would be small inflatable boat, about 10 ft for safety, reliability and ease to fly fish standing up. You should consider hypalon  made boats only. They last. Brand names you relay on are English Avon and Japanese Achilles.I Have one designated for fly-fishers. It is about 22 years old and there is no single patch on her. That's why search and rescue use them. You can pick one up for a few hundred bucks south of the border. Check your Craigslist for
Possible deals, they are quite frequently popping up in there. Avoid Chinese PVC knockoffs, they are heavy and cumbersome and they puncture easy.
Not exactly ...
http://inflatableboatworks.com/?p=1796

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 01:49:22 PM »

Another boat idea is a Porta Bote (https://www.portaboat.ca/). They're made of a tough plastic material that folds up like a giant surfboard and can be put onto a car roof rack. The transom can handle a 4hp-6hp outboard (or any electric motor). I've got a 12 footer with a 55 lb thrust electric motor and love it! They are a little pricier but fit that compact low maintenance/storage requirement! There's a dealer in Langley or you can find them on Craigslist.